IGNORED

question about epyx controllers

moses

hello, does anyone know anything about these controllers-epyx 500 xj by konix, i just came across a pair, they seem to have 2600 or 7800 style plugs but they have two buttons on each controller, they also have these other plugs split off the main plugs, ive never seen plugs like this, so im wondering what these wierd plugs are for and if they are for the 2600 or 7800, they also came with what looks to be controller adapters, they have 5200 looking plugs on one end and 2600 plugs on the other end, they look like you could plug in 2600 or7800 controllers into a 5200 but im not sure, any info would be appreciated, thanx moses

There were a few models of the XJ released. The first of course was the 9-pin DIN for the 2600 and most home computers of the period. They also released a version for the NES, and possibly others, including the Speed King, which featured an autofire toggle switch.

Not sure what the 5200-looking plug would be for -- I don't know of any other systems of the period that had such a wide plug like that.

do you know where i could find more info about these? i was gonna try them out but the wierd little plugs that y off the main plugs have exposed little prongs and i dont know if they are supposed to be exposed( dont want to mess them up)

Colecovision?

Did the contorller have a rapid fire switch or button?

851281[/snapback]

CV uses the same 9-pin DIN. The only 80s system that I can think of that used a non-standard joystick port was the NES, but that resembled the regular 9-pin, except it was only 7 pins and was angled on one side.

well i did a search on them and i couldnt find anything like the ones i have, the only things that come up when i put 500 xj epyx by konix ( which is whats printed on the end of the ones i have) is info on the single button model that doesnt have the center return or center adjust, the nes ones are different also, i found a white set but they were also 1 button, so im stumped

i think the 2600 to 5200 looking adapters might be for the amiga, i found a pic of some adapters that look kinda the same and it said they were to connect a pc controller to an amiga, but im not sure as they didnt quite look the same

hmmm, apparently its a konix speed king with center adjust, although the pics i saw of this show the words speed king across the top of the controller and the ones i have say 500xj epyx on the end, but other than that they look exactly the same, it says they were made for old computers, i wonder if they will work on a 2600 or 7800

AH... 15 pins and calibration levers would make that a PC joystick.  Probably wouldn't work on anything but; calibration levers means it's an analog stick.  The 2600/7800 uses digital.

851346[/snapback]

I've got a Commander Deluxe controller by Comrex with a 9-pin DIN that has calibration wheels on the bottom. So that one is analog, and is compatible with the digital 2600/7800?

(Just curious -- I don't know the technical stuff.)

There isn't really much difference between analog and digital. Basically, digital joysticks know one thing: it's either being pushed in a given direction or it isn't. Analog joysticks however know not only that it is being pushed in a given direction, but also how far it's being pushed.

In technical terms, the way each sends signals to the machine they're connected to differs. Digital joysticks send signals down specific lines that tell the unit that a direction is being pushed -- one or more lines go "high" (turn on) to indicate that a direction or button is being pressed.

Analog joysticks send relative information down specific lines to indicate that the stick is being pressed "x" amount (say, a value between 0 and 255) in "y" direction.

Some joysticks can be switched from analog to digital mode. When in analog mode they work like a normal analog stick. When in digital mode however, all relative stick movement information (how far it's being pushed) is scrapped -- it just reports that it's being moved in "y" direction.

i dont think these have calibration levers, just a switch to turn on or off the center return, and a center adjust button, the main plug is only 9 pin but the secondary plug has 16 prongs sticking out, but i assume they must have been for a old home computer since they came with the 9 pin to 15 pin adapters, but i dont know for sure

• 2 years later...
i dont think these have calibration levers, just a switch to turn on or off the center return, and a center adjust button, the main plug is only 9 pin but the secondary plug has 16 prongs sticking out, but i assume they must have been for a old home computer since they came with the 9 pin to 15 pin adapters, but i dont know for sure

That was a common style for Apple II joysticks... early Apple II models had a 16-pin DIP connector inside the case for plugging in paddles and joysticks, while later models brought that out to a 9-pin plug.