IGNORED

Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre

dheine1971

Does anyone remember the 1977-1980's style Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre which was founded by Nolan Bushnell of Atari fame and was famous for animatronic shows and pizza and video arcade games? The first CECPTT location opened in a former toy store space on Winchester Blvd. in San Jose, California in May 1977.

I am looking for someone on this message board who lives in the state of California or used to live in the state of California that has been to the very first Chuck E. Cheese's location that was on Winchester Blvd. in San Jose, California after it first opened in May 1977 and has film/video footage from the first location primarly of the original wall portrait format Pizza Time Players animatronic robot show that featured Chuck E. Cheese, Jasper T. Jowls, Pasqually the Chef, Crusty the Cat, Foxy Colleen, and the Warblettes.

Does anyone remember the 1977-1980's style Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre which was founded by Nolan Bushnell of Atari fame and was famous for animatronic shows and pizza and video arcade games? The first CECPTT location opened in a former toy store space on Winchester Blvd. in San Jose, California in May 1977.

I am looking for someone on this message board who lives in the state of California or used to live in the state of California that has been to the very first Chuck E. Cheese's location that was on Winchester Blvd. in San Jose, California after it first opened in May 1977 and has film/video footage from the first location primarly of the original wall portrait format Pizza Time Players animatronic robot show that featured Chuck E. Cheese, Jasper T. Jowls, Pasqually the Chef, Crusty the Cat, Foxy Colleen, and the Warblettes.

854887[/snapback]

www.marvin3m.com in Farmington Hills, MI has a set of those CECPTT Pizza Time Players animatronic robots.

www.marvin3m.com in Farmington Hills, MI has a set of those CECPTT Pizza Time Players animatronic robots.

859154[/snapback]

He does? I was there less than 2 years ago and I don't remember seeing them. :?

859196[/snapback]

The last time I looked, they were in the area with all the kiddie rides. You won't see them unless you're looking up near the ceiling. They're above all the coin-ops and photo booth machines.

You may think this is bunk but I am very close friends with Dr. Gene N. Landrum who created Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre for Nolan after he launched the 2600. He created the first store in San Jose by hand and served as President of the company from 1977 through 1986 (coulda been 84)

Either way, I talk with him every day as he is the Chairman of my company. He is a published author and professor of entrepreneurialism and I even did the cover of his last book for him, he's a really neat person. If you'd like I can put you in touch with him.

You can visit his website at - http://www.genelandrum.com/

Hope this helps,

Justin

The last time I looked, they were in the area with all the kiddie rides. You won't see them unless you're looking up near the ceiling. They're above all the coin-ops and photo booth machines.

859246[/snapback]

Hmmm, must not of looked high enough in that area. The place was a lot smaller then I imagined it - but still pretty cool.

• 1 month later...
The first CECPTT location opened in a former toy store space on Winchester Blvd. in San Jose, California in May 1977.

I've lived in San Jose since 1972. The first CECPTT was in the Town & Country Shopping Center on Winchester Blvd. It was an outdoor (i.e. not a mall) shopping center. It is long gone. The area were it stood, is now the location for Santana Row. Note that this is not the location that was previosly a toy store before becoming a CECPTT. The location that was a toy store before changing (~1980) to a CECPTT is still in operation as a CECPTT and the map can be found here.

Unfortunately, I do not have film nor video of the first CECPTT and only vague memories of the animatronic robot show.

• 4 weeks later...
Click here to see a brochure from 1977.

897664[/snapback]

Wow, that brings back some memories. The thing I remember about CECPTT, the original ones back in the late 70's, was that it seemed a bit "darker"... not quite the bland colorful playground-style places you have now. It had a bit of that old-schoool arcade flavor, mentioned in other threads.. although it was geared to families, the booze was readily available and it felt a little more like a smoky pool hall... and the animatronics might be a little, er, frightening to small children (I was always a spooked out by them... sitting there barely visible in the dark, like they were dead, then suddenly coming to life with loud, corny music and lights)

• 1 year later...

You may think this is bunk but I am very close friends with Dr. Gene N. Landrum who created Chuck E. Cheese's Pizza Time Theatre for Nolan after he launched the 2600. He created the first store in San Jose by hand and served as President of the company from 1977 through 1986 (coulda been 84)

Either way, I talk with him every day as he is the Chairman of my company. He is a published author and professor of entrepreneurialism and I even did the cover of his last book for him, he's a really neat person. If you'd like I can put you in touch with him.

You can visit his website at - http://www.genelandrum.com/

Hope this helps,

Justin

I have a TON of that stuff. I have a few that say "Copyright 1977 Atari Inc." ... I have them scanned I just need to resize them.

Justin

Justin, i would very much like to talk with you!

I am a serious PTT collector and historian. Since 1981 i have been amassing a huge archieve full of stuff and info, and would love to add more to it if you have anything you would be willing to share. Anything from the very early era ( 77' through 81') i would love to hear about!

Also, is it possible to contact Gene to discuss his involvement in the PTT concept? I would very much like to hear all he can tell me about his role. There are many questions i would love to get answered regarding the starting of PTT and any info either of you can share would be wonderful. I am exspecially interested in those character robots he still had back in 2005. Does he still have them?

I have co-organized a 30th Anniversay Event for PTT enthusiests this May in CA, and would love to have Gene involved somehow if he would be interested. We hold a small convention every year for PTT/CEC collectors and fans, this will be our 4th. It is a small gathering, not a huge mega-event, but the people coming would love to hear his stories!

Feel free to PM me here, and i hope to hear from you soon!

Funny this topic came up because i was just talking to my wife about Chuck E. Cheese pizza and how i remember it being when i was a kid.

The one we had in the town i grew up in was pretty big and had a real "Arcade" like feel to it.It was nothing like they are now.It had a nice size arcade,quite of few kid's rides,and two pizza areas.

One pizza area had Chuck E. and the gang and the other area had the "King".My personal favorite,A lion dressed as Elvis! He sang and moved his hip and everything very cool.

Ah,the good times and it was the first place i had ever played Dragon's Lair.Man,i miss that place.

I was talking with someone not too long ago about Showbiz Pizza - we, of course, complained about Chuck E. Cheese and how much cooler we thought Showbiz was.

I have made a point to take my nieces every year to the Chuck E. Cheese's in my hometown - it had formerly been a Showbiz Pizza and is one of the few remaining ones (that I know of) that still have the converted Rock-A-Fire animatronics (now Chuck E. Cheese & his friends). About a year ago when I was there, I talked to the tech guy (lucked out that he was there) and actually got to see the control room - pretty unimpressive, but it was fun to talk to the guy. After 20+ years of service, the animatronics are a little worse for wear, but I was happy to see that even though the place was remodeled (bigtime), the owners had decided to keep the show.

Loved CEC - the pizza has an unusual smoky (and super greasy) flavor to it that I've found in no other pizza. The only thing that irked me a little was how they couldn't personalize birthday songs. So it was always, "Happy birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY" instead of "Happy birthday, dear Snotty."

I have fond memories of playing the classics there. Skee-ball, Fire Truck, Astro Fighter, all the laserdisc games, dome hockey with those little foozball-type handles...oh yes, and the short-lived, pint-sized "Muppet" games such as Leprechaun and Tugboat. :)