IGNORED

New Computer Space Simulator

Actually it is SECOND simulator of Computer Space - first one arrived at the end of winter. We didn`t had anything and suddenly we can choose which program to download.

New simulator has major improvements, and while the first simulator fed the hungry ones (like me), this fills all the gaps and recommended for anyone - not only hardcore fans - as it is much more accurate and polished program.

You can download both at

http://www.computerspacefan.com/

in simulation section.

Very cool. Early history of arcade videogames is well preserved now.

• Like 2

Holy Sh**! Moose O'Malley's sim version of Computer Space is loaded with features .. including customizing the keyboard control .. which means that the 2600 Stelladaptor will work with it! Gotta pull out the Starplex button controller!! And the option of 2 players against eachother is another version of Spacewar (no sun). Truely truely impressive! :D

He has a cool site! And he plans to make a sim of Stunt Cycle too! :D I'm an instant fan!! :D

http://move.to/moose

Now I gotta check out this new version of PDP-1 Spacewar. The version that I've been playing in MESS has the L/R buttons backwards for me!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

• Like 1

I had some fun experimenting with both the Computer Space and the Spacewar emulation. I was able to edit the control of both to correct Left and Right rotation.

When I ran the PDP emulation .. I got only the left 2/3 of the light display. And there was a white bar across the bottom of the screen.

That Computer Space emulation is awesome! Ubersaurus needs to tune into this thread!!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

• Like 1

Just popped in to say thanks to everyone - especially Rob - for their very kind feedback in the thread above.

I'm starting work on v1.1 of the simulator - but it isn't a high priority at this stage, and a lot more information is needed before I can really make much progress.

Anyway, thanks for the kind feedback - you have no idea (a) how much it helps and (b) how rare a kind word is !! ;)

All the best,

Mike "Moose" O'Malley

Moose's Software Valley - Established July, 1996.

WEB: http://move.to/moose

>I see in the documentation that he has not yet added joystick support to the

>Computer Space sim. I surely hope that he does and that it supports the

>Stelladaptor.

I'd like to add Joystick and Gamepad support - but unfortunately, I don't currently own a joystick or gamepad - I've been a keyboard and mouse jockey for 99.9% of my games since 1980 !! ;)

Until I can get a joystick or gamepad, then I can't really add in support for it. ;)

However, until then, why not use JoyToKey :

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA016823/jo...ey/english.html

which can apparently convert the buttons / controls on any arcade pad or joystick to keyboard commands.

All the best,

Mike "Moose" O'Malley

Moose's Software Valley - Established July, 1996.

WEB: http://move.to/moose

• 4 years later...

I just moved my copy of Moose O'Malley's "Computer Space Simulator" from a Windows XP machine to a new Windows System 7 machine with Norton anti-virus software on it. The Norton protection jumped all over it - wouldn't let me run it, recommended blocking it and removing it. Any ideas why? I think there's some code in it that may be connecting to his website automatically. There's a link on the splash screen that you can double-click on when the game opens up. Anyone else had any problem with this game?

I just moved my copy of Moose O'Malley's "Computer Space Simulator" from a Windows XP machine to a new Windows System 7 machine with Norton anti-virus software on it. The Norton protection jumped all over it - wouldn't let me run it, recommended blocking it and removing it. Any ideas why? I think there's some code in it that may be connecting to his website automatically. There's a link on the splash screen that you can double-click on when the game opens up. Anyone else had any problem with this game?

Hi there, I didn't realize there was a thread about my website. I guess I should have read back a few years.

Anyway, let me run your Windows 7 findings past Mike since I need to ask him for an update on Version 1.1 for the simulator.

And thanks to all for the kind words about my site, it's been a labor of love. When Mike approached me for making the simulator, I never thought he would do such an incredible job. I'm just glad so many people enjoy it.

• Like 1

Excuse my ignorance on this...

Why can't ROMs be written to simulate games like Computer Space and Death Race so that we can run them in MAME? To me it seems feasible even if you had to write the code from scratch.

Well I think that's the problem.. "what code?" :P It's all just integrated circuits working with each other (no microprocessors)

I do think an "emulation" of sorts is possible, but it would have to be a circuit simulation. I definitely imagine something along those lines could be done in this day and age.

Why can't ROMs be written to simulate games like Computer Space and Death Race so that we can run them in MAME? To me it seems feasible even if you had to write the code from scratch.

Games like that were based on discrete logic chips. There was no CPU, no code, therefore no "ROM" to copy. I think MAME basically emulates the various environments in which the original program code would have been executed. There was no original program code (nor environment in which it was run) to emulate.

It might theoretically be possible to write a logic simulator for MAME into which you could load a standardized representation of the logic circuitry that made up those types of games. But, based on reading Dan Boris' work on doing such a simulation for the original Pong, there are significant challenges in making it run real-time (among other things).

There are a few discussions around here on this subject (which is primarily where I've learned what I think I know about it). I'll see if I can link you up to some info.

[Edit: adding links]

http://www.atarihq.c.../files/pong.txt

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=52&showentry=3291comment7048

Edited by BigO

Well I think that's the problem.. "what code?" :P It's all just integrated circuits working with each other (no microprocessors)

I do think an "emulation" of sorts is possible, but it would have to be a circuit simulation. I definitely imagine something along those lines could be done in this day and age.

That's why I say written from scratch.

Are you saying that it is not possible to write e.g. "Computer Space 2010" that uses hardware that would have been found in a Space Invaders cabinet?

Are you saying that it is not possible to write e.g. "Computer Space 2010" that uses hardware that would have been found in a Space Invaders cabinet?

I imagine so.. but what you're talking about then is a remake. There's nothing wrong with that but it'd be kind of like the good old Atari Flashback 1 where Atari 2600 games were remade on what was essentially Nintendo Entertainment System hardware. They sort of looked & played the part.. sort of, but not really.:P At the end of the day all sorts of differences were there.

But yeah to answer your question, can it be done? I imagine it could. But again it'd be a port.. and not the actual game.

It would be possible, but it wouldn't be in MAME, which is supposed to be a preservation project, and writing code from scratch isn't preserving anything.

I imagine so.. but what you're talking about then is a remake. There's nothing wrong with that but it'd be kind of like the good old Atari Flashback 1 where Atari 2600 games were remade on what was essentially Nintendo Entertainment System hardware. They sort of looked & played the part.. sort of, but not really.:P At the end of the day all sorts of differences were there.

But yeah to answer your question, can it be done? I imagine it could. But again it'd be a port.. and not the actual game.

Agreed. What is being emulated by MAME isn't the game (software) itself, rather it's the hardware environment in which the game originally ran.

If someone were to port Computer Space to run on the board found in Space Invaders then the resulting ROM should be able to be run in MAME somehow.