IGNORED

AR: The city help?

Hello,

All this talk about Alternate Reality: The City has got me really interested in playing this game. I'm trying the game out in emulation on a mac using the atari800macx emulator. I have never played the game before and I'm a little confused with the controls. This might be the emulator or simply the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing. Here is my big question. I can go forward and I can go backward, but I can't go left or right. If I go forward I get to a shop and if I go backward I get to the gate.

Thanks,

Mike

Well, I've never played the game on any emulator, so i don't know if I can help or not, but assuming that the controls are mapped out to similiar keys on the atari keyboard, is forward, [K] is backward and [J] and [L] are left and right. the other commands available outside of an encounter or location (shop, tavern, inn, bank, etc.) are [R]-ready weapon (have to have a weapon first), -use potion (need potion), [D]-drop weapon/object, [P]-pause game, -save game, also, normally the [select] key scrolls you through all your posessions, and other stuff and the [help] key tells you all these commands. I would assume that som Function keys would be substituted for the [select] and [help] keys since they are really function keys, just not labled as F(x)...

for all other commands in the game, it deisplays a menu flashing the first letter of the words to identify what you push for what choice you want. Hope this all helps.

It's probably the controls. I'm not familar with Atari800macx, but you should be able to find the keys. The normal key controls are:

I: Forward

K: Backward

J: Turn left

L: Turn right

R: Ready weapon

D: Drop item (armor or weapon)

U: Use Potion (has no effect if you have no potions)

S: Save Game (automatically halts game; AR has "real death" so you'll need to make a copy of your character disk image every time you save if you want to resume after a death)

P: Pause

Select: Cycle through information screens (on Atari800win this key is mapped to F3)

there's an ecco around here apparently...

860084[/snapback]

Ecco?

ecco5.png

:D

But seriously. I started typing that before you responded -- but I couldn't for the life of me remember a couple of the controls so I had to fire up AR in Atari800Win and find them. :-)

U - will also switch back and forth between using your Primary and Secondary weapons to attack with during battle.

Check the help file for your emulator and you should be able to find a list of the corresponding keys to match the ones that were given above.

Also, normally the arrow keys are mapped as a joystick. One key should also be mapped as the fire button, check the help file for the emulator. As mentioned above, if you use the arrow keys as a joystick, then you need to hold down the fire button/key while turning.

I hope to read about some of your adventures soon!

there's an ecco around here apparently...

860084[/snapback]

Ecco?

ecco5.png

:D

But seriously. I started typing that before you responded -- but I couldn't for the life of me remember a couple of the controls so I had to fire up AR in Atari800Win and find them. :-)

860285[/snapback]

you know, it's funny, when I was typing that reply, and thinking of using the word echo I actually did think of Ecco the dolphin, that's probably why I misspelled it... :ponder: I'm pretty sure I have at least a mild case of Adult A.D.D. too, but I refuse to take some drug with side effects that are worse than the problem you take the drugs for! (whcih means 99% of the drugs they advertise on T.V.)

Damn it Jim, I have an english degree, NOT a spelling degree! That's what Editors are for! (even if they have english degrees too)

Edited by Gunstar

• 1 month later...