IGNORED

Activision/Imagic 2600 anthologies

jlh2600

The PC version of the Activision Anthology Remix is great, but I will not be going for it on gba, solely because they cut Demon Attack (from gba as well as PS2). I have heard this involved licensing, but how can that be? I mean, if Activision acquired Imagic in the 80’s, then who exactly is complaining that the games are being used in an anthology? On Remix for the PC, the scrolling “Imagic” gets replaced by a scrolling “Activision” in Demon Attack (similarly on Atlantis); but who could object, and on what grounds?

Now what’s really odd is that these two Imagic titles (Demon Attack and Atlantis) are the ONLY ones Activision felt the need to put their name on. There are a total of EIGHTEEN Imagic games in the collection, and the rest appear unaltered.

So why, when included for PC, would Activision possibly have to leave off Demon Attack and Atlantis for the PS2 and GBA? Could this be related to the fact that those are the only two games whose screens had “Imagic” replaced with “Activision”?

BTW- I have seen conflicting sources on this. According to most http://www.deeko.com/handhelds/reviewdetail.asp?id=241 , no demon attack or atlantis. But according to http://www.gamepublic.com/ps2/activision-anthology/

http://www.gamepublic.com/gba/activision-anthology/ , both games are on all platforms!

Is it possible there are two versions out there?

(mistakenly cc'd in classic gaming)

Is it possible there are two versions out there?

860139[/snapback]

Well, I have the Activision Anthology for GBA - it's the reason I bought the GBA, actually - and I think it's darn near perfect as it is. I would like a paddle controller =) and I'd like a similar cartridge full of Atari favorites (Robot Tank pales in comparison to Battlezone, for instance, though of course so many early classics just wouldn't play well on the GBA).

I don't know whether there's an Anthology *Remix* cartridge for GBA, but the link you listed for GBA is to the original Anthology (the one I have).

BTW, I saw an Anthology cartridge at EBX last week for $12, used. I'm sure you could pick one up pretty cheaply. Of course, if you're morally outraged at the lack of the Imagic titles, I guess that's no real incentive. =)

"The PC version of the Activision Anthology Remix is great, but I will not be going for it on gba, solely because they cut Demon Attack (from gba as well as PS2). "

Its on my Activision Anthology disc for the PS2. Or do you mean they cut those from the PC Anthology even though they were in the PS2 and GBA(I assume) versions?

I got a GBA SP for Xmas, and I immediately went for the classic compilations (plus I'm a fool for Yars' Revenge, technically a GBC game), but for whatever reason the Activision Anthology slipped under my radar (I've got the Remix Ed. for PC) and I just got it 2 weeks ago (I got my new on eBay for $15). And I am really happy I did. Whipping it out and playing Pitfall - or any other favorites like Pitfall II, H.E.R.O., or Seaquest - is great, and many people get very interested when they see I'm playing games they remember from back in the day. The game records high scores, and you can unlock the patches, plus it has cart scans, box scans, and instructions for each game. The little game room interface is replicated, too. A very nice adaptation really - you may want to rethink getting it.

BTW, the first link you posted about the GBA version is a really good and very accurate review. Note that there are no Imagic titles at all on the GBA version, although you still get Absolute titles, homebrews, and prototypes.

On Remix for the PC, the scrolling “Imagic” gets replaced by a scrolling “Activision” in Demon Attack (similarly on Atlantis); but who could object, and on what grounds?

One theory is when Activision acquired Imagic, they decided to rerelease the titles under their name instead of the Imagic label.

As for the Activision logo, I've noticed that too in Atlantis and Demon Attack, and Moonsweeper as well.