IGNORED

New NES..

It definitely looks interesting.  I hope that they can ship them out in September.  The last thing I'd want to see is Nintendo stepping in and stopping them or something.  But, the machine looks very nice!

860887[/snapback]

You make a good point! Id hate to send my money in now just to find out nintendo is suing them and all the monies that was sent in for the unit is now being used for legal battles, I myself would wait :ponder:

What's this about "new rumble support?"

860948[/snapback]

My bet? Controller shakes with audio output.

Personally, I'm more interested in the twin cart slots. Looks like it has a slot on top for FamiCom carts and one up front for NES carts.

Screw adapters!

Edited by JB

What's this about "new rumble support?"

860948[/snapback]

Cool! I just noticed that rumble support too. I wonder if thats for future games made, like homebrew authors ? I know nothing about that or was there games that had rumble features ? I would hate for the system to rumble it self!

Is it legal for companies to make aftermarket systems even when not having any roms in them ? Must they get permission first from NES ?

Is it legal for companies to make aftermarket systems even when not having any roms in them ?  Must they get permission first from NES ?

860962[/snapback]

Nah. NES patents have long expired. Nintendo wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Except maybe copyright on the design. That looks suspiciously close to the original NES case.

Is it legal for companies to make aftermarket systems even when not having any roms in them ?   Must they get permission first from NES ?

860962[/snapback]

Except maybe copyright on the design. That looks suspiciously close to the original NES case.

861159[/snapback]

I do like the design, It is a good look for the product.

Is it legal for companies to make aftermarket systems even when not having any roms in them ?  Must they get permission first from NES ?

860962[/snapback]

861159[/snapback]

I do like the design, It is a good look for the product.

861160[/snapback]

Indeed. Make it a little shorter and brighten the colors a bit, and the NES is a darn nice-looking system. Just saying Nintendo may find it a bit too close to their own copyrighted design for comfort.

I'd like it better if it had s-video out and had a bare top so another console could be put on top.  Why not do the whole enchilada while you're changing so much already?

861177[/snapback]

I agree. But I think the built-in FamiCom adapter is a nice feature too. So I could go either way.

Hmmm... looks a fair bit smaller than the old design in all 3 dimensions. Not sure if it's really big enough for setting stuff on anymore. I know it won't hold the 2600 I've got sitting on my current NES.

Edited by JB

Hmmm... looks a fair bit smaller than the old design in all 3 dimensions. Not sure if it's really big enough for setting stuff on anymore. I know it won't hold the 2600 I've got sitting on my current NES.

861189[/snapback]

Heh-heh put a Flashback 2 with a cart connector on top :)

Then you can put it next to a Gamecube with a Gameboy player and have both sit on a Playstation2. 5000+ games should keep one busy.

I'm wondering about the 'rumble support' the controllers are supposed to have. I'm wondering if it's going to be like a Pelikan made NES-in-a-joypad that I bought at Wal-Mart that had all the Color Dreams games in it. Whenever you pushed the A button, a rumble motor went off. It was a really cheap, cheesy way to add vibration effects to games. It kind of worked, though.

861189[/snapback]

Heh-heh put a Flashback 2 with a cart connector on top :)

Then you can put it next to a Gamecube with a Gameboy player and have both sit on a Playstation2. 5000+ games should keep one busy.

861199[/snapback]

Oooohhhh... you have GOOD IDEAS!

I'm wondering about the 'rumble support' the controllers are supposed to have. I'm wondering if it's going to be like a Pelikan made NES-in-a-joypad that I bought at Wal-Mart that had all the Color Dreams games in it. Whenever you pushed the A button, a rumble motor went off. It was a really cheap, cheesy way to add vibration effects to games. It kind of worked, though.

861200[/snapback]

That'd pr'ly work better than basing it on the audio output, which was done on a 3rd-party NES pad if I recall(I KNOW it was done on some GBColor and NeoGeo Pocket accessories).

This looks to be a possible NES replacement. However, this is based on the Neo-Fami, which uses a NES on a Chip. Don't expect a truly accurate NES or the ability to utilize Famicom cartridge based sound chips.

Those wireless controllers have what appears to me to be a particularly useless D-Pad, designed more for comfort than accuracy. I wouldn't be able to beat Contra with anything less than 30 men with that thing. Someone needs to invent a transmitter small enough so that it could fit inside a NES pad (and use rechargeable batteries.)

Edited by Great Hierophant

i think the ultimate in bad rumble has to be those interact vests and seat covers, you know the cheesy looking things that promise to let you feel every hit, kick and punch in the game! yeah that sounds like fun. they all worked off audio too, i always imagined some poor kid sitting there getting his butt kicked by the opening music. i have such contempt for these devices i passed on boxed ones for $5.

This looks to be a possible NES replacement.  However, this is based on the Neo-Fami, which uses a NES on a Chip.  Don't expect a truly accurate NES or the ability to utilize Famicom cartridge based sound chips.

Those wireless controllers have what appears to me to be a particularly useless D-Pad, designed more for comfort than accuracy.  I wouldn't be able to beat Contra with anything less than 30 men with that thing.  Someone needs to invent a transmitter small enough so that it could fit inside a NES pad (and use rechargeable batteries.)

861639[/snapback]

I could never beat Contra with anything, so it doesn't matter.

But yah, if those are comfortable and inaccurate, they'll go flying.

And I'll spare everyone my opinion on the best NES controllers.

Was into Rhino Video Games today and they had THESE in the store for sale at $49.99. It comes with an adapter that allows you to play Famicon games.

Box is about the same size as a Flashback box. Couldn't open one to see the unit itself but if I find a few extra $$$ laying around, I might pick one up. They look interesting and are much cheaper than an offical NES top loader on eBay.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Was into Rhino Video Games today and they had THESE in the store for sale at $49.99. It comes with an adapter that allows you to play Famicon games.

Box is about the same size as a Flashback box. Couldn't open one to see the unit itself but if I find a few extra $$$ laying around, I might pick one up. They look interesting and are much cheaper than an offical NES top loader on eBay.

Mendon

861832[/snapback]

The silver one looks cool for what it is. 8)

Yeah, that's the Neo Fami. It's pretty common. That's the old version. The new version you can play USA games without the adapter and you can also use ANY NES controller. The one you see there you can only use the controller that came with it.

Mendon

861832[/snapback]

I own Messiah's wireless SNES controller. Everything about the controller is great except the D-pad. Useless is a pretty good description of the D-pad. Hopefully they consider using the traditional "plus" D-pad in a future revision as I liked the 2.4Ghz wireless with its no lag, long range, and great battery life.

With regards to the use of a crappy Neofami NES-on-a-chip, all I have to ask is: why bother? You would be better off with a good software emulator, as far as accuracy of audio, video, and game compatibility goes. It will be interesting to see how many games are not compatible with Messiah's NES. Hopefully they use a more accurate NES-on-a-chip than the one in the Neofamis. In the long run, you are still best off with an inexpensive refurbished toaster NES or an AV Famicom. I just pulled my toaster NES out of the closet it was in for the past few years, and before putting a game in, I just dipped a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and "brushed the teeth" of my game cart until they were golden. The game worked on the first try after that, and my NES is still using its original 72-pin connector with no refurbishing.

Solution: Avoid crappy clones and just clean your carts. Yes they do get dirty after 20 years. Tell me how well an uncleaned PC would run in 20 years?

Edited by Jagasian