IGNORED

Problems with an Atari 1200XL

itatton

I just recently found an Atari 400 and an Atari 1200XL for 60 bucks (for the pair and a handful of games and an ATARI 1030 MODEM!! WOOHOO!). I was pretty excited since I've been looking for one for a while, but I'm having a problem with the 1200XL. It appears that there are approx 15 keys on the keyboard that do not work. When you press the key in there is no keyboard input from the BASIC cart. I've used the same cart in the 400 so I know it works. There are a couple keys that when held down will intermittently not work. Is this something that might be fairly easy to fix or should I go take it back.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

http://retrobits.net/keyboard.html

I've never met a 1200XL keyboard that was in physically complete condition and hadnt been previously 'fixed' that couldnt be restored with a little TLC.

If you open it and find someone has previously failed at fixing it, it might be time to find a new keyboard, bad repairs usually make things worse.

Steve

http://retrobits.net/keyboard.html

I've never met a 1200XL keyboard that was in physically complete condition and hadnt been previously 'fixed' that couldnt be restored with a little TLC. 

If you open it and find someone has previously failed at fixing it, it might be time to find a new keyboard, bad repairs usually make things worse.

Steve

862521[/snapback]

I have the same problem with my 1200XL. They need TLC :-)

When you don't use it for a few month, keys are starting to fail.

But when I press them repeatedly, they start working again.

Doesn't a 800XL keyboard fits into a 1200XL?

Cheers,

Sijmen.

This is pretty common on 1200XL's. I've been able to fix several of them by taking the keyboards completely apart, cleaning everything, and reassembling them.

-Bry

862475[/snapback]

If you do take it apart, be prepared to deal with a lot of screws. A LOT of screws.

This is pretty common on 1200XL's. I've been able to fix several of them by taking the keyboards completely apart, cleaning everything, and reassembling them.

-Bry

862475[/snapback]

If you do take it apart, be prepared to deal with a lot of screws. A LOT of screws.

863194[/snapback]

That's the way it is with almost ALL keyboards, lots of screws to deal with...I've taken apart XL,XE,ST, MAC,C64,C128 and Amiga keyboards and they have all had about 30 screws to remove.

But I've yet to have a problem with my 1200XL keyboard and it did sit in my closet and then in a box when I moved, for nearly a year with no use, and I just hooked it up again a month or so ago and it's keyboard is still working perfectly fine...were there more than one revision of the 1200XL that could be the culprit, and my revision doesn't have the problems you guys are refering too?

Edited by Gunstar

But I've yet to have a problem with my 1200XL keyboard and it did sit in my closet and then in a box when I moved, for nearly a year with no use, and I just hooked it up again a month or so ago and it's keyboard is still working perfectly fine...were there more than one revision of the 1200XL that could be the culprit, and my revision doesn't have the problems you guys are refering too?

863534[/snapback]

If there was a new revision it must not be very wide spread because all but one of the 1200XLs I've had all needed to be refurbed. Thats one out of probably 40 or 50 1200XLs I've outfitted.

Steve