IGNORED

Atari XEGM

82-T/A

Did you at any point notice that the conversation you're responding to is nearly three YEARS old?

Did you at any point notice that he is Simon Hunt himself? :cool:

And maybe it's about time to change your silly avatar to some newer/older/other sh*t? :P

And now - do sth more useful than trolling...

Interesting that a few XEGS's should show up on ebay considering that it was the worst performing games system put of by Atari (saleswise that is)

Yeah, man... that was like almost 4 years ago I posted this original thread. Hah... but yeah, I still have that XEGS. I was thinking of selling it, but I don't think I will. I'd like to start playing it at some point.

With that said, what are some good XEGS / 8-Bit Computer games that they had on cartridge? Are there any decent adventure games? I assume that no game was ever made that permitted saving (like a Dungeons & Dragons game or anything?).

Is this system basically like a 5200 more or less?

What exactly did they plan to do with this system? I mean, was it supposed to be better than a 5200, better than a 7800?? Did it come out after the 7800?

The pastel colors are pretty crazy... it's very Miami Vice-ish...

Haven't *bay changed their pricing policies and other policies on certain things

Might be better selling it in the marketplace forum on AA...it might go to a better home and you won't have to put up with the *bay crap

Yeah, I recently sold at least 200 some odd items on eBay. I've been trying to clean out stuff... mostly all car parts. I also sold my 81 Trans Am and my 84 Porsche 944. I have too much "stuff" and I kind of wanted to simplify my life somewhat what with a new baby on the way. eBay really screwed up I think. Not three days after I sold the Porsche, they put up some kind of new policy for selling cars. They've basically just increased their profit by about 20%. Of course, that profit comes out of the seller's pocket. I'm not an eBay store or anything, just some dude cleaning out his closet basically... so I can only imagine how much of a pain it must be for all of those people who make it a living. In any case, eBay has the right to do whatever they want... but so do the people who use it... so... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they start to lose business.

eBay has become too bloated. It's a company that requires basically no overhead whatsoever. Bandwidth / hosting fees, computer programmers, and management. That's all that's needed... but they've ballooned (like most companies do) into a huge corporation, and for basically no reason at all. They have dozens of departments of people that do nothing more than play Solitaire, and come up with ideas and try to come up with marketing partnership deals.

That's what happens when the owner of the company gives a "hands off" approach.

• 2 years later...
I don't believe Dan Strikes Back (English Software) was one of them! Does Lance have documentary proof to the contrary?

Did you at any point notice that the conversation you're responding to is nearly three YEARS old?

What can I say? I'm a slow reader!

• Like 2

I don't believe Dan Strikes Back (English Software) was one of them! Does Lance have documentary proof to the contrary?

i just went through and looked over this thread... and i must say that is funny :')

sloopy.

I see what you did there :thumbsup:

The XEGS is not rare. B&C Computers has plenty of them in stock, "new in box" for a damn decent price.

It's not a bad machine at all, where the XEs are concerned. Build quality is pretty good (relatively speaking) and the motherboard design is probably the most "up to date" of all the atari 8-bit models.

The did sell some without keyboards, at least initially. Later on, they may have cancellled the sales package that came with no keyboard. You could buy the keyboard separately from ATARI/dealers..

Another thing that deserves mention is that the lightgun sucks. You can rewire the trigger on a SEGA MASTER SYSTEM light gun to work witht the ATARI and this is a much more useable/accurate device..

Buy 4 of them, and steal all the blue buttons off of the extra 3, to make one with all blue function keys. Doesnt look bad at all. Of course, then all 4 are labeled "start"..

• 10 years later...
On 5/7/2011 at 9:52 AM, Stephen said:
On 5/6/2011 at 1:58 PM, simonh said:
On 8/22/2008 at 1:09 PM, ZylonBane said:
On 8/22/2008 at 12:54 PM, simonh said:

I see what you did there :thumbsup:

Talking of "being slow"...  I finally got around to finishing the Digger Dan Trilogy -- it just took me 38 years!

• Like 2

Damn, talk about bringing back an old thread! I posted this like 16 years ago... In that time, brand new babies on AtariAge are now of legal driving age.

Since 2005, I left the NFL, came to work for another organization that I moved 4 times for that I'm literally getting ready to submit my resignation for. My how time flies...

• Haha 2

On 9/20/2021 at 12:51 PM, 82-T/A said:

Damn, talk about bringing back an old thread! I posted this like 16 years ago... In that time, brand new babies on AtariAge are now of legal driving age.

Since 2005, I left the NFL, came to work for another organization that I moved 4 times for that I'm literally getting ready to submit my resignation for. My how time flies...

Still using that XEGS, XEGM?

24 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Still using that XEGS, XEGM?

No, unfortunately. In the end, it was too nice of a system for me to just use. I don't remember anything that I wrote above, but it was basically a boxed system. Not new, but it looked like it had been barely used. I played it a little bit, but it was pristine, had no color fading or anything. So I ended up selling it, I don't know if I made any money on it.

I am curious about something.  I see it referred to as XEGS or XEGM.  I think the XEGS was the one included with the keyboard, and the XEGM is the one without?

There were other bundles too, like ones that came with the light gun and others that didn't.   I want to say the pack in game was different too.

22 minutes ago, leech said:

I am curious about something.  I see it referred to as XEGS or XEGM.  I think the XEGS was the one included with the keyboard, and the XEGM is the one without?

There were other bundles too, like ones that came with the light gun and others that didn't.   I want to say the pack in game was different too.

I don't know if that's the case... mine came in the complete set / box. It had the light gun, a separate keyboard with built in trackball (which was the same size as the system itself), the system of course, and I believe it came with two of those Atari Proline controllers that you could get in Europe that they sold for the Atari 7800... except they were in the pinkish grey color with the magenta and aqua buttons. It was super cool... loved that system, but I realized I just had waaay too much stuff, and had to get rid of it.

I posted this in May of 2005... I had just gotten married a few months ago, and I think I sold it when my daughter was born a couple of years later. I pretty much sold like half of everything I owned so I could be more responsible. I took all the money I made from the sale of my cars (I had like 9 classic cars and every video game system you could imagine) and put it all into a 529 College Education account, and paid off any debt that I had, which wasn't much. I really didn't have debt, but I definitely didn't have any savings at the time. Funny how life can change you just like that.

6 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I don't know if that's the case... mine came in the complete set / box. It had the light gun, a separate keyboard with built in trackball (which was the same size as the system itself), the system of course, and I believe it came with two of those Atari Proline controllers that you could get in Europe that they sold for the Atari 7800... except they were in the pinkish grey color with the magenta and aqua buttons. It was super cool... loved that system, but I realized I just had waaay too much stuff, and had to get rid of it.

I posted this in May of 2005... I had just gotten married a few months ago, and I think I sold it when my daughter was born a couple of years later. I pretty much sold like half of everything I owned so I could be more responsible. I took all the money I made from the sale of my cars (I had like 9 classic cars and every video game system you could imagine) and put it all into a 529 College Education account, and paid off any debt that I had, which wasn't much. I really didn't have debt, but I definitely didn't have any savings at the time. Funny how life can change you just like that.

Ha, yeah you may be remembering some of that wrong.  The keyboard has the Help key on it (for some reason). 

Weird, I have never seen the different color proline controllers, just the red/black/silver for the 7800.

I always thought the XEGS (S for system) was the full thing with lightgun and keyboard) and XEGM was just the computer+lightgun+2 pack ins (bughunt and I want to say Flight Simulator II?)

Anyhiw, it was meant as a NES look alike.  People whined about the Pastel colors, but look at the SNES...

SmartSelect_20210921-184022_Fennec.jpg

19 hours ago, leech said:

Ha, yeah you may be remembering some of that wrong.  The keyboard has the Help key on it (for some reason). 

Weird, I have never seen the different color proline controllers, just the red/black/silver for the 7800.

I always thought the XEGS (S for system) was the full thing with lightgun and keyboard) and XEGM was just the computer+lightgun+2 pack ins (bughunt and I want to say Flight Simulator II?)

Anyhiw, it was meant as a NES look alike.  People whined about the Pastel colors, but look at the SNES...

SmartSelect_20210921-184022_Fennec.jpg

Yeah, possibly... this is basically what I had, same box and everything...

image.jpg

... except my box was basically perfect. I wouldn't say it was "NEW" but it definitely was pristine. It's like whoever it belonged to, had used it once or twice and then packaged it up and left it in a closet. I think when looking at this, I realize that I did not have proline controllers like I thought. I knew I had a different controller, and the one on the left there is what I had,a long with that gun. Keyboard and Atari XE was separate. But this is what it was.

I have seen Proline controllers in these colors, but I must have seen them being offered somewhere else and I conflated it somehow.

Ugh... I'm wrong, not even the Proline is what I meant... I meant the Gamepad, what apparently came with the 7800 in Europe (why didn't we get these in the US?).

I saw this same controller on the internet somewhere using the above pastel colors. The same base beige, with the magenta buttons and a dark grey knob.

1024px-Atari-CX78-7800-Controller-FL-wTh

But to be clear, I realize now that I did NOT have them... I had the standard joystick above (but in the light beige), but did see these on the internet. Maybe it was sold with the Falcon?

3 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Yeah, possibly... this is basically what I had, same box and everything...

image.jpg

... except my box was basically perfect. I wouldn't say it was "NEW" but it definitely was pristine. It's like whoever it belonged to, had used it once or twice and then packaged it up and left it in a closet. I think when looking at this, I realize that I did not have proline controllers like I thought. I knew I had a different controller, and the one on the left there is what I had,a long with that gun. Keyboard and Atari XE was separate. But this is what it was.

I have seen Proline controllers in these colors, but I must have seen them being offered somewhere else and I conflated it somehow.

Ugh... I'm wrong, not even the Proline is what I meant... I meant the Gamepad, what apparently came with the 7800 in Europe (why didn't we get these in the US?).

I saw this same controller on the internet somewhere using the above pastel colors. The same base beige, with the magenta buttons and a dark grey knob.

1024px-Atari-CX78-7800-Controller-FL-wTh

But to be clear, I realize now that I did NOT have them... I had the standard joystick above (but in the light beige), but did see these on the internet. Maybe it was sold with the Falcon?

Memory can suck.  I could have sworn I had Frogger 2 for the 5200, but nope only Frogger, and had played the second via the AtariMax cart!

I have a replica gamepad for the 7800, good controller!  Apparently the original ones are pretty rare.

Are you thinking of the PowerPad for the Falcon?  (Basically a Jaguar pad with grey case, blue buttons, and a shorter / thinner cable.  In fact it would have been a great pad, colorwise, to go with the XEGS)