IGNORED

colour problem (Streaking)

LU8

First off, I am in a PAL country (Australia) and have a 2600jr. and 7800, both made in 1991, I only use PAL carts. The 2600 games appear brighter on the 2600jr than when the same games are played on the 7800.

On games with beige/sandy colour e.g. Frogger, the game plays normally on the 7800, but it's a problem on the 2600jr. Specifically the middle strip where the snake walks across is so bright it becomes obscured. Ditto for the game Secret Quest, plays perfect on the 7800, but can't be played on the 2600jr because the border of the playfield is too bright and streaks. There is also an excessive humming sound going on with the colour streaking.

So there are some "2600" titles I only play on the 7800 console. Indeed, I would say all the "2600" games appear correct on the 7800. On the 2600jr. they seem too bright, which makes most "2600" games (like 1981 Pac Man) much nicer, but, it means some games can only be played on the 7800.

I am using a 1996 Sony Trinitron TV. I have noticed that the excessive brightness problem with the 2600jr. isn't so bad on older TVs, like my previous 1982 Trinitron.

I have owned the 2600jr. since new, I don't think it has deteriorated, the problem just seems worse when you use successively more modern TV sets, which seem to have brighter pictures. Can anyone shed some light on the problem? Thanks.

Well, the 2600jr was the most cheaply made model of 2600, so I'm not suprised if there are some less-than-perfect things about it. But, I really don't see why you can't just turn down the brightness and/or contrast on your Trinitron when playing games that are too bright. You do have a remote and/or can access the menu on your TV, right? I have a bunch of different classic and modern systems and the picture does occasionally differ between them, but I just adjust my brightness and contrast to suit me.

Could indeed be due to the cheapness of the 2600jr., mine was made in China and it says 1991 on the box. On the plus side it doesn't seem to have gotten worse in the 14 years I have had it.

Yes, I have tried to adjust the color/brightness settings, indeed on Frogger this helped to bend the playfield back into shape. It was all wonky without adjustment, but you still get that excessive brightness on areas involving the colour beige. Whereas insert the same games in the 7800 (Frogger & Secret Quest) and they play perfectly without adjusting the TV.

When I first got my 2600jr. I had a 1980 and 82 Trinitron, the problem wasn't so noticeable, now I have a 1996 Trinitron and a 2001 TV set. I don't even try to play the 2600jr on the 2001 TV.

I wonder if it could be a matter of inadequate shielding on the 2600jr. perhaps if I put a metal box around it? Still, it's handy having the 7800, when I play VCS games on it I just pretend it's a 2800 console. :D