IGNORED

Videogame voice actor's strike

SteveW

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,67658,00.html

It looks like we won't be getting very many voice overs in games for a while. So the big question is: will anyone miss them? Voice acting in games usually isn't all that good, and can sometimes be downright distracting. The voices don't match the characters very well, the tone of their voices don't seem to fit the situations the characters are in, and sometimes the voice actors couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. So..... will you avoid buying a game, just because there's no talking in it? Or will it not be an issue?

Voice acting is rarely done well but when it is it really makes the experience so much more immersive. Only two I can really think of are 'Eternal Darkness' and' Knights of the Old Republic'- which both, oddly enough, feature the voice talent of a Miss Jennifer Hale - give that woman a raise.

I mostly find it annoying ("It's a-me...Mario!!"). The Prince in Sands of Time was good. The voices in TIE Fighter (Mac/PC) were also good. On that note, I can't think of any games where voice acting is completely necessary. Nope, won't miss 'em. They'll just have to go back to using the programmers as voice actors. It's not like there'll be a dramatic change in quality ;).

- Jason

Here's one for the great game/horrible acting archives: Castlevania - Symphony of the Night.

"Die monster! You do not belong in this world!" says Richter in a tin can.

and

"What is a man?" Dracula says as he dramatically tosses his glass to the ground.

These performances actually turned me completely off to the game initially. I didn't rediscover its true greatness until about 2 years after.

- Jason

having big name actors do voice work is way overrated, has it ever influenced you in purchasing a game, i know it means nothing to me. i sort of enjoyed david duchovny in XIII but did i care that rapper eve was also in the game, hell i didnt even know til it was over and i saw the credits. the red head from the 70s show voices a marine in halo2, who knew and how did it help the game? there are so many struggling actors out there you could just save the production money and hire a good no name. my cousin's husband did a lot of voice work for documentries and books on tape, if he was still alive today i bet he'd be great for video games. did anybody hear the conditions they're fighting for, i thought it was funny that they're demanding sanitized microphones and headsets, yeah nobody wants to touch a mic after ice-T has been on it.

Ray Liotta in Vice City was outstanding IMO. Just about every other game I can think of has terrible voice acting and I wouldn't have a problem with it being left out. The story line in most modern games is bloated and boring anyway.

-S

Voice acting is rarely done well but when it is it really makes the experience so much more immersive.  Only two I can really think of are 'Eternal Darkness' and' Knights of the Old Republic'- which both, oddly enough, feature the voice talent of a Miss Jennifer Hale - give that woman a raise.

864670[/snapback]

Don't forget Beyond Good and Evil! :D

I know most people didn't like it nearly as much as I did, but Star Wars: Bounty Hunter had awesome voice acting.  It was bang on.

It was excellent, for the most part, since they actually got Temuera Morrison (Jango) and Leeanna Walsman (Zam) to do their characters and they get the bulk of the dialogue.

Roz was irritating (hard to believe she's the voice of Princess Daphne from Dragon's Lair).

The rest of the cast was pretty good, though. And, it must be said, the cut scenes were pretty well written, so that helps.

That redonkulous Scottish accent in Warcraft II is easily one of the funniest things I've ever heard: "I lahk blowin' thengs op!"

Absolutely priceless. :)

865604[/snapback]

How could I forget Warcraft II? Fantastic voicework. The narrator before each scenario was a bit over the top but the units' voices were so good and memorable. Those developers (Blizzard) used sound effects and voice to great effect...really added to the atmosphere.

"They're destroying our city!!"

- Jason