IGNORED

I just whooped Trevor McFur

Cobra Kai

1 credit boys. :ponder:

Awesome graphics in this game....the background on Equilibrimite is fantastic, thats the swamp stage with the MudMan boss. I worked on this game over the weekend, and it gets so much easier once you find the right groove on how to properly strafe your ship up'n'down the screen....you can avoid and kill just about everything, along with properly timed powerups which you never are without. The hardest part of this game is the Asteroid stages due to the unpredictability of the asteroids when they break apart, and those jelly blob things come back towards you sometimes. But mostly, I use the Magnet, Cutter and Flash for the levels, and save all my Shields for the bosses...easy as 1 2 3.

Another good thing about this game is you can recover quite well if you die in the middle of a stage, unlike alot of shooters like say Gradius where if you die you're screwed. The game really needs a better soundtrack though, and some ingame music would be nice, but I'd rather not have in-game music if its the same music thats on the title screen...yuck!

Oh and Magnet = best. powerup. ever.

• Like 1

I always liked the magnet too. Although I don't think it's the best special weapon on a Jaguar game, that would have to go to the hammer power-up in Battlemorph (the name of which I've gone blank on), that hunts down and destroys all enemies in the area. That weapon was excellent.

Back before the Jag's nationwide rollout, there weren't a whole lot of games out on the market, I played that one over and over. One time, when I beat the game and it went back to the start screen, there were some kind of letters or numbers or something down in the corner of the screen. I've never been able to duplicate that. And when I try to play the game now, I can't seem to get too far into it. Maybe I'm too rusty at it. I'd like to know what that was, though.

1 credit boys. :ponder:

Awesome graphics in this game....the background on Equilibrimite is fantastic, thats the swamp stage with the MudMan boss.  I worked on this game over the weekend, and it gets so much easier once you find the right groove on how to properly strafe your ship up'n'down the screen....you can avoid and kill just about everything, along with properly timed powerups which you never are without. The hardest part of this game is the Asteroid stages due to the unpredictability of the asteroids when they break apart, and those jelly blob things come back towards you sometimes. But mostly, I use the Magnet, Cutter and Flash for the levels, and save all my Shields for the bosses...easy as 1 2 3.

Another good thing about this game is you can recover quite well if you die in the middle of a stage, unlike alot of shooters like say Gradius where if you die you're screwed. The game really needs a better soundtrack though, and some ingame music would be nice, but I'd rather not have in-game music if its the same music thats on the title screen...yuck!

Oh and Magnet = best. powerup. ever.

865048[/snapback]

It's a great shooter, I just turn up the tunes on my ipod and get into the groove. Love the magnet. It's totally whacked.

Hmmm....is the jag version a lot harder then the snes version?  I beat the snes raiden without braking a sweat.

866546[/snapback]

First, the SNES version is Raiden Trad, not Raiden. Trad is a watered down remixed version of the original, and frankly the SNES couldn't handle a direct port of the arcade game, it doesn't have the CPU power. The SNES game is much easier and the graphics don't come close to matching the Jag version...I was pretty disappointed with the SNES game really.

Jag Raiden is VERY difficult, because its a direct port of the arcade game, which was also very difficult. I'd say Raiden is higher than average difficulty compared to other shooters of the same genre, and alot of people at shmups.com feel the same, that the Raiden series is a tough nut to crack. My main problem is I don't have a pro-controller(I need rapid fire), and really I prefer a Joystick for shooters because my hands get tired on that Jag pad playing Raiden...but since there's no Joystick for the Jaguar I don't play Raiden for very long sessions...thus not getting very good at it. It's still a great game though, easily one of the Jags' best.

• Like 1

You say it's a close arcade port difficulty and all then? i didnt find the aracde raiden very hard honestly i always thought it was one of the easier shooters out there. The only real change i noticed in the snes version worth mentioning was lack of some backround details. But cant say i missed the cows running away much.

Edited by sega saturn x

Snes Raiden was much easier than jag Raiden.

Raiden Trad was one of the first SNES games released (and one of the first i bought).

Was very upset that the game I just bought for $60 was one credited first time through.

Next game I bought was Turtles in Time. Same dilemma.

Started renting more after that.

Hi Gunstarhero!

Hmmm....is the jag version a lot harder then the snes version?  I beat the snes raiden without braking a sweat.

866546[/snapback]

First, the SNES version is Raiden Trad, not Raiden. Trad is a watered down remixed version of the original, and frankly the SNES couldn't handle a direct port of the arcade game, it doesn't have the CPU power. The SNES game is much easier and the graphics don't come close to matching the Jag version...I was pretty disappointed with the SNES game really.

Jag Raiden is VERY difficult, because its a direct port of the arcade game, which was also very difficult. I'd say Raiden is higher than average difficulty compared to other shooters of the same genre, and alot of people at shmups.com feel the same, that the Raiden series is a tough nut to crack. My main problem is I don't have a pro-controller(I need rapid fire), and really I prefer a Joystick for shooters because my hands get tired on that Jag pad playing Raiden...but since there's no Joystick for the Jaguar I don't play Raiden for very long sessions...thus not getting very good at it. It's still a great game though, easily one of the Jags' best.

866690[/snapback]

First of all, the SNES could easily handle Raiden. (It's not like it is a hardware intense game, it's technically just an average shooter. Nothing a system like Genesis or SNES couldn't handle easily, except maybe color depths in the case of genesis.)

I agree with SegaSaturnX, that Raiden (on the Jag) is an easy shooter. I never had any problems finishing the game. Actually there were times when I finished the game in very short playtime with only loosing 1 credit or less and I rarely play 2D shooters. You can not link any comments about the difficulty of Raiden to the Jag version, because the Jag version is NOT the arcade version.

Yes. The Jag version actually is no port of the arcade version. It's actually a port of the PC version. They use exactly the same graphics, while the original arcade graphics were sharper and looked less colorful, although they had more colors. (Sounds strange, I know. But it is hard for me to explain. When you see screenshots you'll probably understand what I mean.)

The Jag version (just like the PC version) also has a custom difficult level, which can't be changed. If you think that is hard, try the Arcade version on the highest level. I hardly finished the first few levels on that setting in the arcade version, while I could easily beat the Jag version with tons of credits left.

If you want to check out the arcade version (and if you like Raiden in general), I highly recommend Raiden Project for PSX. It's the best Raiden port I have ever seen and the best thing is, it's not just a straight Arcade port of Raiden 1, but there also is a straight Arcade port of Raiden 2 on the same disc.

Actually I prefer playing Raiden2, as it is so much better than the first part.

So if you like Raiden, you should really check it out.

Regards, Lars.

Hi Gunstarhero!

866546[/snapback]

866690[/snapback]

First of all, the SNES could easily handle Raiden. (It's not like it is a hardware intense game, it's technically just an average shooter. Nothing a system like Genesis or SNES couldn't handle easily, except maybe color depths in the case of genesis.)

I agree with SegaSaturnX, that Raiden (on the Jag) is an easy shooter. I never had any problems finishing the game. Actually there were times when I finished the game in very short playtime with only loosing 1 credit or less and I rarely play 2D shooters. You can not link any comments about the difficulty of Raiden to the Jag version, because the Jag version is NOT the arcade version.

Yes. The Jag version actually is no port of the arcade version. It's actually a port of the PC version. They use exactly the same graphics, while the original arcade graphics were sharper and looked less colorful, although they had more colors. (Sounds strange, I know. But it is hard for me to explain. When you see screenshots you'll probably understand what I mean.)

The Jag version (just like the PC version) also has a custom difficult level, which can't be changed. If you think that is hard, try the Arcade version on the highest level. I hardly finished the first few levels on that setting in the arcade version, while I could easily beat the Jag version with tons of credits left.

If you want to check out the arcade version (and if you like Raiden in general), I highly recommend Raiden Project for PSX. It's the best Raiden port I have ever seen and the best thing is, it's not just a straight Arcade port of Raiden 1, but there also is a straight Arcade port of Raiden 2 on the same disc.

Actually I prefer playing Raiden2, as it is so much better than the first part.

So if you like Raiden, you should really check it out.

Regards, Lars.

867946[/snapback]

I'm sure Raiden could be programmed for SNES and Genesis, I think my comment came out wrong. All I'm trying to say is that they could not really ever compare to the Jaguar version of the game, don't you agree? I mean, does the SNES have the same resolution capabilities of the Jaguar? I play my Jag on my big-screen and it looks fantastic, but when I play SNES on it, everything is alot blockier. Not to mention the SNES would probably have massive slowdown if Raiden was directly ported...something would have to give, somethings would have to be toned down. Of course the SNES could run Raiden, it already has Trad, but could it come close to the Jag version...I don't believe so.

I use to have Raiden Project, and I wish I still did...I love Raiden 2...too bad that game was never made for the Jaguar or Jag CD...that would have rocked. If I knew anything about programming, that would be my sole purpose...to port Raiden 2 to the Jag somehow :)

And I know you're right about the PC port thing...but that is based on the arcade game...I've played Raiden arcade quite a bit in the past and when I got the Jag version a few years later, from my memory the gameplay, level design, weaponry and graphics were pretty much spot on to the Arcade version. I seriously can't tell the differences...except maybe the graphics resolution?

I'm not suprised some of you guys might find Raiden to be easy...we all are good and bad at certain games...alot of people said Trevor McFur was really hard, but it didn't really take me too much work to figure it out and do a 1cc. Raiden is just hard to me for some reason, but I'm getting better....I've been playing this week and can get to stage 3 boss with 1 credit...woohoo~

Edited by Gunstarhero

Hi!

As I said the SNES could easily do Raiden. While the SNES had quite a weak CPU that is making it weak at 3D games, which was fixed by adding processors like the SuperFX chip to the carts of those games. For 2D games and pseudo 3D games (axelay, fzero and so on) it was except for Neo Geo the most powerful system at its time. Of course the Jag can theoretically compete with that, but practically it's actually quite close when it comes to 2D. Mainly because the SNES graphics are smaller and because the SNES still has bigger carts, so you can put more stuff into them than on the Jag.

The SNES had actually the same resolution in most games as the Jag. The SNES uses 320x224 as standard, while the Jag usually uses something like 320x240, while about 20 pixels are not visible on top and bottom, depending on your screen.

The only difference is the color depths. The Jag can use 1-bit to 8-bit, 16-bit or 24-bit (hardly ever used, because the Jag is VERY slow at that and because it takes a lot of memory), while the SNES uses a whole different approach which allows of up to 256 colors on screen. With transprarency and stuff you could also get 32k colors I think.

However, as Raiden is a port of the PC version (256 colors), I'm very sure the SNES could have easily done exactly the same game. Afterall the SNES has tons of games that make Raiden look really outdated.

About the difficulty, I think it's really a matter of opinions.

In the case of trevor mcfur, I never played it much, simply because I thought it was so aweful in every aspect that I could hardly imagine a bigger waste of time than playing that game. And when you have other games to play, why play something bad?

Regards, Lars.

I never played it much, simply because I thought it was so aweful in every aspect that I could hardly imagine a bigger waste of time than playing that game. And when you have other games to play, why play something bad?

Regards, Lars.

868454[/snapback]

my feelings exactly, but apparently that theory doesn't hold true when taking jaguar games into consideration.

...but since there's no Joystick for the Jaguar I don't play Raiden for very long sessions..

866690[/snapback]

There are joysticks for JAG! Unfortunately, now it is a little difficult to find them.

This happens because a certain producer *cough*Goatstore*cough* is not producing them anymore :twisted:

also look at the thread about joysticks.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70918

I never played it much, simply because I thought it was so aweful in every aspect that I could hardly imagine a bigger waste of time than playing that game. And when you have other games to play, why play something bad?

Regards, Lars.

868454[/snapback]

my feelings exactly, but apparently that theory doesn't hold true when taking jaguar games into consideration.

868523[/snapback]

That's how cybermorph is some how a "fun" game. Oh thats right i dont think it's fun because its 10 years old and i didnt get to see it when it was new. Even though i never saw raiden new and i still think thats a great game.

There use to be a website that had instructions on how to build a Joystick for the Jaguar. I got a hardcopy of it somewhere, however the last time checked, that web site doesn't exist anymore. :(

:lust: You know what would be a neat project? If we made Jag games just to accomidate the use of a Joystick for the Jaggy. It could be something to get people stired up about making Jaguar games. :D The only thing is, who would actually make Jaguar joysticks? :?:

Anyways... It'd still be a neat little project. :)

Hello,

There use to be a website that had instructions on how to build a Joystick for the Jaguar.  I got a hardcopy of it somewhere, however the last time checked, that web site doesn't exist anymore. :(
I can't say I remember it, but it's not rocket science. ;-)

:lust: You know what would be a neat project?  If we made Jag games just to accomidate the use of a Joystick for the Jaggy. It could be something to get people stired up about making Jaguar games.  :D
What are you thinking?

What's unique about a joystick game rather than a joypad game, please explain!

You know, you have lots of enthusiasm, we need to get your started coding too!

The only thing is, who would actually make Jaguar joysticks? :?:
That's not really a problem. If there is a demand, in the end it will be fulfilled.

Anyways... It'd still be a neat little project. :)
Tell me more!

Cheers,

JustClaws.

:) Well... I like to think of the Jaguar more as an Arcade system more then a home console. I remember my first impressions of the Jaguar as being the next arcade console; at that time it was hard to think of Atari with thinking about all of the arcade games they made... I think if game makers approach the Jaguar and think of the Jaggy as an arcade system at home, it might bring the Jag-64 to a new light or a new way of looking at the Jaguar system. A lot of people download emulators and ROMs to sometimes get or re-live that arcade experience... Well the Jaguar is well more powerful then the Atari's most popular arcade hardwares like the Atari System 1 & 2; certainly more powerful then the Neo Geo MVS. What if there was an incentive or a competition for the one who can build the best arcade game for the Jaguar? What better way to bring the arcade experience home then arcade sticks for the Jaguar... It's a good way to keep people pumped about making Atari Jaguar games. :cool:

Atari Arcades Inspirations

http://www.system16.com/

In a way in speaking in terms of looking at the Atari Jaguar in a different way

from a developers stand point. If I ever get around to making Jaguar game, and

I will eventually, I want to make arcade games for the Atari Jaguar in the spirit

what makes for a really great arcade game. I suppose it's more of an attitude

then it is a specific arcade game I'm referencing and that is to make the kind of

games one would like to see in an actual arcade for the Atari Jaguar in the spirit

of the arcade. I think it's a neat way to get people interested in making games for

the Atari Jaguar. The Jaggy has some short commings, but it also has some benifits

from a programmers stand-point in the since that older arcade machines like the

"Atari System 1 & 2" (which is my personal favorite) that did become successful

didn't have the power that the Jaguar have. So if you had a chance to make your

very own arcade game for the Jaguar 64, what would it be?

That's the attitude I'm talking about. It's all about getting into the spirit...

of game making that is. I think the Jaggy deserves it. :)

It's not so much porting an already existing arcade game to the Jaggy,

rather it's an opportunity of tapping in the competitive edge of

making games for the Atari Jaguar. Pretend that you're Jaguar is an

arcade system and you've been given the opportunity to make a game for

this arcade system; what kind of game would it be? What kind of

features what you give it attract people to play? It's more or less

adopting a new/fresh attitude about the Jaguar as a means of

redefining the Jag in this present time. What was it that defined Atari's\

most popular arcade hardwares...? It was the games. I think Trevor

McFur was a great looking game and showed a lot of potential in what

the Jaguar was/is capable of doing despite the odds. Why not take it to

the next level and see just how far the system can be pushed. :)

What arcade games are you talking about?  The jaguar seems very very light in terms of arcade games.  I can only think of 1 and thats raiden.  I dont think the 2000 games really count since they never went to arcades.

874163[/snapback]

The mighty Lynx was the "portable arcade," not the Jaguar (although don't forget NBA Jam:TE and the unreleased Total Carnage).