IGNORED

nuon

jesusc

After a sorta frustrating day (if anyone finds a wallet, it's mine), I decided to do something I haven't done in about two years. Use my extiva for something other than watching movies!

I popped Tempest 3000 in, and reminded myself why I like Tempest 2000 better.

then my son and I kicked out Merlin racing (I really should pick up some logitech controls, I have two HPI warriors) for a little while. Very fun game.

Now as I go to bed, I have found stoner heaven (though I'm drug free).

That would be Radiohead+VLM.

Tomorrow I'll probably tackle Freefall again. Never had the attention span for learning the controls before, but I'm older now so who knows? (eyes Iron Soldier 3).

Anyone else (other than K3V) still messing around with the Nuon?

Edited by jesusc

I haven't used mine in a while. I've got both a Samsung N501 and a Toshiba SD2300, but I haven't played any games on them in about 9 or 10 months. Mainly because I have all three current game consoles, and there's so many games out there, I just don't mess with the Nuon stuff. I played the hell out of them when I bought them originally, but there's so many times you can play the same game until you get bored. I could never finish Freefall, but I finished Iron Soldier 3 and Merlin Racing. And I like The Next Tetris a little better on the Dreamcast than the Nuon, even though the gameplay's the same. The Gameboy version of Ballistic is lousy, so it's not a replacement.

I haven't used mine in a while. I've got both a Samsung N501 and a Toshiba SD2300, but I haven't played any games on them in about 9 or 10 months. Mainly because I have all three current game consoles, and there's so many games out there, I just don't mess with the Nuon stuff. I played the hell out of them when I bought them originally, but there's so many times you can play the same game until you get bored. I could never finish Freefall, but I finished Iron Soldier 3 and Merlin Racing. And I like The Next Tetris a little better on the Dreamcast than the Nuon, even though the gameplay's the same. The Gameboy version of Ballistic is lousy, so it's not a replacement.

865276[/snapback]

I have Freefall but have never even opened it.

Freefall is fucking annoying :)

865741[/snapback]

I'd agree... I have yet to figure out how to play that game and have fun at the same time...

865770[/snapback]

When I sold my Nuon collection a couple of months ago, I realized when I was testing everything that I had never figured out Freefall.. so I gave it another go.

Is it actually a game? :lol:

I really wanted a NUON and may some day still be able to get a nice N501 for whatever reason.... My only 2 reasons were for Tempest 3000 and the VLM2 however... but with the 360 on the horizon I almost feel there is no need to even get a NUON... and if a Tempest version of some sort comes about... then I'm set in stone and in heaven :)

I only got to play the game breifly (freefall) at Midwest Classic and T3K rocked balls!

(looks around) too bad I don't have anything to really trade for someones un-used Nuon collection...

Freefall's got a really high difficulty level. You have to use a controller with an analog stick to really play it well. And even then, it's hard to wrap your head around the controls. A less complicated control scheme might have helped it. It's a really unique game, though. It would play a lot better on a modern console, with dual analog sticks. I wonder if the programming house is still in existence?

Freefall kinda bites. Interesting concept, lousy execution. I like my Nuon for the same reasons as everyone else -- Tempest 3000, VLM, and at the time, not every machine could play MP3s or VCDs as well as this thing. Gotta love the DOOM port on the hardware, too. If it were progressive scan, I'd use it more often.

I hope Tempest makes a return of some sort (easter egg, maybe?) on the 360.

866091[/snapback]

:-o Please come to the 360... Please come to the 360... Please come to the 360 Tempest! :) haha... there, I said it three times... it''ll come (someday) ;)

866151[/snapback]

Now that Jeff Minter is in with the 360 - anything could happen. It's funny, I have heard so many people wanting him to make Tempest 360 recently.... it would seem madness not to happen :ponder:

Edited by Clock

866091[/snapback]

:-o Please come to the 360... Please come to the 360... Please come to the 360 Tempest! :) haha... there, I said it three times... it''ll come (someday) ;)

866151[/snapback]

Now that Jeff Minter is in with the 360 - anything could happen. It's funny, I have heard so many people wanting him to make Tempest 360 recently.... it would seem madness not to happen :ponder:

866192[/snapback]

He'd have to work for Atari to do it, and he doesn't seem too keen on working for other people just now.

866091[/snapback]

866151[/snapback]

866192[/snapback]

He'd have to work for Atari to do it, and he doesn't seem too keen on working for other people just now.

866369[/snapback]

Ya think? He's in Microsoft's pocket at the moment. Maybe not officially, but he certainly seems to have their ear, and vice versa.

I haven't re-hooked up my NUON ever since it stopped playing movies :x It's the reason I ended up with an Xbox, and while I liked Tempest 3000, Merling Racing and Ballistic, I wasn't too keen on Freefall or Space Invaders. All of my NUON games are sitting out right now though, begging me to play them again.

I agree with what everyone has said about Freefall. It really could be a sweet game concept, but boy did they mess that game up. I am also in the camp that liked Tempest 2000 a lot more than 3000. And, while Merlin Racing was good, I didn't find it to be that great.

866369[/snapback]

If Microsoft licensed the rights for Tempest like VM Labs did with 3000, it could happen.

And holy hell... Tempest in HIGH DEF?!? It would really make me want a 360... but it would probably be about the only reason beyond Neon that would make me want one.

Only problem with Tempest 360 would be that Jeff has historically demonstrated giving a higher priority to trippy graphics than to gameplay. The Jaguar platform just balanced on that razor edge between providing too much and too little of what he wanted to do graphically (though I've heard Atari actually had to order him to scale back the pixelshatter effects). Then we've all seen how pretty-at-the-expense-of-playability the Nuon version turned out.

Tempest 360 would only be a good thing if there was a Microsoft producer keeping a tight leash on him, quashing all attempts to pack the game full of play-obscuring explosions, ripped Williams sound effects, and goats.

He'd never do it if his creative freedom was in any way compromised. This is Jeff Minter we're talking about, man! He doesn't do anything unless he wants to, which is why we've seen so much of his work on obscure game systems, created by companies which can't afford to argue with him about his eccentricities.

JR

And holy hell...  Tempest in HIGH DEF?!?  It would really make me want a 360...  but it would probably be about the only reason beyond Neon that would make me want one.

866501[/snapback]

Ooo... :lust: Tempest in HD.... stop it man... your making me drool! :)

Really... that would be so awesome!

Is Atari even working on any 360 titles yet?

Only problem with Tempest 360 would be that Jeff has historically demonstrated giving a higher priority to trippy graphics than to gameplay.
I vehemently disagree. Have you played his latest game, Gridrunner++? Check it out, it's very nicely balanced, like all of this games. You just have to appreciate the shooter aesthetic. Clicky.

The Jaguar platform just balanced on that razor edge between providing too much and too little of what he wanted to do graphically (though I've heard Atari actually had to order him to scale back the pixelshatter effects).  Then we've all seen how pretty-at-the-expense-of-playability the Nuon version turned out.
Whoo, you're pissing me off ...

Tempest 360 would only be a good thing if there was a Microsoft producer keeping a tight leash on him, quashing all attempts to pack the game full of play-obscuring explosions, ripped Williams sound effects, and goats.

866538[/snapback]

That's it, I don't like you anymore. :x Those are what make a Llamasoft game!

:x

OK, I've calmed down a little. I hope we can be friends, even though I'm right and you're wrong. ;)

I completely agree with ZB on Tempest 3000 - the game play took a hit for the aesthetics.  It was really too bad... 

Couple that with the fact that they weren't "behind" it enough to come up with a new soundtrack and I'm right back to playing T2K.

867192[/snapback]

Did anybody else miss the bonus levels of T2k in T3k?

I completely agree with ZB on Tempest 3000 - the game play took a hit for the aesthetics.  It was really too bad... 

Couple that with the fact that they weren't "behind" it enough to come up with a new soundtrack and I'm right back to playing T2K.

867192[/snapback]

Did anybody else miss the bonus levels of T2k in T3k?

867254[/snapback]

I must have.. I don't think I ever got past the first 5-6 levels of T3K without getting frustrated.

How were they accessed?