IGNORED

I love Ebay

Elvis8Atari

once and a while you get screwed over on ebay. In that respect Ebay sucks. But if it wasn't for Ebay I wouldn't have alot of atari games and ALOT of other things that I wouldn't have if it wasn't for Ebay. So it's not Ebay that sucks. Its Unhonest C***suc*ers that give us a bad time. YES, I have been screwed over by Ebay.In the worst case I lost about 400$ but It doesn't matter. Ebay is still a great company and has given me the opportunity to have alot of atari/nintendo/thundercat/elvis/movie poster/vinal/bicycle stuff that I wouldn't have had otherwise so good work ebay (other than the factor that people can screw you over) and GOD BLESS ATARI (even though I don't believe in any god inparticular) I love Atari and Atari age. Help Keep Atari alive! Get on your atari 2600s and play the games! play pac man. play Q-bert. Play Yars Revenge E-T, Dodge Em, Taz, River Raid, Pitfall ext.. ATARI RULES ATARI! ATARI ATARI ATARI!!!!

www.geocities.com/elvis8atari

I AGREE with mike!!

I LOVE ATARI AND EBAY!!! yes i have been screwed also by (how did mike say it) C***suc*ers but only a couple of times out of 400

if it was not for ebay i would have never found so many items and have never MADE SOOOOOO MANY FRIENDS!!

my first ebay transaction was with Marco Kerstens (3 years ago and did not know him) and he is one of my BEST of friends!! GO ATARI,GO

EBAY!!

Rick

See, here's the deal. e-bay in itself is not evil, it being an inanimate object and a virtual tool. HOWEVER, the schmucks who pee in the pool and ruin it for everybody else abuse the luxury of such a service and pollute the good the tool can do. A hammer can build a house or it can crush a human skull, the hammer isn't evil, but it can be used for evil ends.

My problem with something like e-bay stems from its abuse at the hands of scum-lickers, and the lack of any real and effective management from the so-called administrators. I love e-bay to in theory, in practice however it sucks.

I agree. eBay is definitely a huge provider for my collection at the moment, and will probably become an even more important factor as my collection gets larger and larger. Sure, there are some jerks out there that you might get screwed over by, but you just have to look out for them like you would any other person that might screw you over. Are you going to buy watches from some scumbag who has them all in his trenchcoat? Along the same lines, are you going to expect 1st class treatment from someone who has a rating of 20,000? That's like expecting the owner of Walmart to congratulate you on your purchase.

I always check the seller's feedback before I even bid on the auction. I've only had one problem, and it wasn't even major. I still got my games, they were just shipped poorly and the envelope (yes, three cartridges in an envelope) tore open at some point. They arrived in a bag (along with the torn envelope) marked "Damaged". They all still worked however, and didn't seem to undergo any huge breakage (The label was peeling on Cosmic Ark... but that was probably like that before, and some glue took care of it anyways), so I didn't care too much.

--Zero

If you don't have any atari games then you can't trade them. Besides I hate trading games. For example.. if I trade Pac-man to you for Donkey Kong..sure now I have donkey kong but then I lost Pac-man. The only way trading works is if you have more than one copy of a game. And why the hell would you want more than one copy of a game? I prefer buying games over trading them.

I guess the rarity of fnding games in the wild really depends on where you are. For me, it's almost impossible to go out to a garage or auction sale without seeing at least one lot of old atari/coleco games. before I ever found myself interested i'd let several systems passed me for cheap. The one dollar vectrexs, lots of 50+ games for 2 or 3 bucks. There's no demand for them here, you're likely to win them on your first bid. It's just a matter of getting out to the sales...

you gotta know how to use ebay, i mean - in terms of being able to judge the character of the guy you're buying from.

I've only been burned once, cause I was optimistic and pretty dumb.

and I never..ever.. send cash.

yay! just got a really nice boxed pitfall!

• 2 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

[blush]

Same here, Rick, same here!

Cheers,

Marco

I bought Frogger II and Quick Step (both NTSC and boxed w/instructions) from Marco about the same time this post was originally started. While I can't call Marco a friend 'cause I don't know him that well, I did remember how friendly he was. He made some of my first negative experiences with e-Bay folk not seem so bad.

And now that I'm posting to the board regularly, I hope to get to know him, and every one else here, better!

The important thing about using (and enjoying ebay) is knowing there is no 'ebay' just a bunch of people and cash flying about, gotta be super cautious and no problem. I've only ever been stung once and that was my own stupid mistake.

I have to partially agree with Stan. I use ebay for several things and never have gotten stung, but on the same token I have been very cautios with my bids. It can be good or it can be bad! I bought a Dreamcast and 3 new games for $25. It was very little risk, The way I figured if it did not work it was only $25. luckly it did work. I bought a 1850's Mel Ott Baseball glove for my sons room, It came in worse shape than I expected but I only payed $10 for it, What can I expect? I do not think I would ever buy a big ticket Item on E-Bay, It may be me but I would like to see it before I put out bucks. so I only buy what will not kill me if I never get. (though I did buy the entire James Bond series on tape in one lot. It would have killed me not to get them!)

I too have bought many of my Atari 2600 and Jaguar items form ebay, but the starting prices for some items are way to high and when some one screws you out of your payment ebay does nothing to help you get back your money and the seller goes away laughing.

For the first time since i started my collection I finally found some games somewhere other than ebay or the internet. I went to an antique sale on south street and some dope was selling great rare games really cheap. I ended up with crypts of chaos, chuck norris double ender, planet patrol, nexar and wabbit for about 20$ much better than an Ebay deal. So I guess I'd have to say that finding games at a garage sale or "in the wild" is the best way to go. But good luck finding garage sales that have atari games..let alone rare ones.

Maybe writing this will break my luck, but I have gotten about 130 auctions from ebay without any problems..I am kind of picky with who I deal with-I do not use paypal or any electronic 'instant ripoff' transfer->I send a personal check--I also only bid on items that have a picture that I can tell is not a copy from a website.So I can not complain(yet).Not only have I got a lot of atari stuff,but also got very educational Beavis and Butthead vidios & books.

quote:

Originally posted by dwh:

Maybe writing this will break my luck, but I have gotten about 130 auctions from ebay without any problems..I am kind of picky with who I deal with-I do not use paypal or any electronic 'instant ripoff' transfer->I send a personal check--I also only bid on items that have a picture that I can tell is not a copy from a website.So I can not complain(yet).Not only have I got a lot of atari stuff,but also got very educational Beavis and Butthead vidios & books.

Ok, I have to say this.

To those of you who fear websites like Paypal, I say to you, DON'T!

I've been using it since I began using e-Bay and have NEVER had a problem. I found, in talking to other Paypal user who say they have had problems that those problems were user created! If you don't know how to use something properly you will screw it up, and this is were the problems arise.

I recently dealt with someone who didn't know how to use it and they sent they're payment twice! When I return the second payment they sent it back and asked me why I refused it! Even after I explained why they still didn't get it.

Paypal is a very simple system, and it has been much maligned, and all quite unfairly.

Personally, my second choice for payment is a money order. I consider them money in hand and don't have to wait for a check to clear WHICH COULD BOUNCE. I don't have time to babysit a bunch of checks to find out which one clears when.

That's my $.02

So, how is selling something to somebody, taking a billpoint (ebay payemnts), and shipping to a billing address my fault?

I followed all the rules, yet since someone paid with a "alleged" stolen card, I was out over $270.00. Come to find out, the seller is the only person in the ebay community that has absolutely NO protection. It is really all in the buyer's favor.

As a result, anything I sell on ebay is money order only.