IGNORED

Alas poor Basketball, I knew him Horatio

StanJr

My Basketball cart is dead. Its my first dead cart. I bought it from the guy I get most of my games from (for a buck, no big), but when I popped it in the VCS, all I got was a black screen.

So, I pulled back the dust cover and went at the contacts with alcohol, and cleaned the rest of the cart up really well. I tried it again: black screen. I repeated my cleaning again: black screen. I tried it on both my ataris: black screen.

I fear I have lost him. Is there anything else I can do?

Funeral Stan

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

My Basketball cart is dead. Its my first dead cart. I bought it from the guy I get most of my games from (for a buck, no big), but when I popped it in the VCS, all I got was a black screen.

So, I pulled back the dust cover and went at the contacts with alcohol, and cleaned the rest of the cart up really well. I tried it again: black screen. I repeated my cleaning again: black screen. I tried it on both my ataris: black screen.

Funeral Stan

Stan, we mourn your lost. It's time to move on, dude. It'll be tough but you can do it.

Seriously though, need a new one? I have like three or four and you can have one if you want. Just e-mail me your address, and I can send it to you tomorrow.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

Funeral Stan

All may not be lost. Have you tried cleaning the contacts with an eraser? I had a Midnight Magic that behaved the same way. Alcohol did not help, but the eraser brought it back to life. Good luck.

Burgel

Out of all the carts I've gotten from ebay only 4 have been DOA.Considering how old these carts are getting,it's amazing that most of 'em work.

one ? concerning dead carts-shouldn't everyone keep them to reuse for homebrew games someday? or are they too far gone?Even the plastic cases can be reused,right?(O.K., so it's really three ?'s)

never thought I would be part of a 'wake' for an old game cartridge...We will all in a small way miss your basketball cart.

Nay, sadly, the eraser did not work. The contacts are as clean as a whistle (I'm going to assume a whistle is clean), but the game will not display anything other than a blank screen. All hope is gone. Ceremonies for Basketball will be held tomorrow at dusk, as the poor old cart is laid to rest.

But mourn not, friends, for Basketball is a common cart and may soon be found again by me, then oh, the games I shall play...

Misty Eyed Stan

quote:

Originally posted by Burgel:

All may not be lost. Have you tried cleaning the contacts with an eraser? I had a Midnight Magic that behaved the same way. Alcohol did not help, but the eraser brought it back to life. Good luck.

Burgel

Hey that's a great idea! I have a couple of copies of Pitfall II that were DOA. I'm gonna try that. Thanks dude! I hope it works.

quote:

Originally posted by ubersaurus:

My only dead cart is Dark Cavern for the 2600. I have a Food Fight for the 7800 that has garbled graphics, all the cleaning in the world hasn't saved that.

if you dont have a extra Food Fight, they had one at the Gamestation

My concern is, what were you doing with that cart plugged in in the first place?? Was it the picture lable version or the text/no date older version? I dont mean to poke at your heart strings, but both my basketball carts still work! Oh joy.

I think if a cart dies, it is meant to be. Don't play god with a cart, who knows what evil you may unleash into the virtual world.

Which is why you should never take you games for granted. Spend time with them while you still have them, cherish them, take them out to dinner once in a while, would it kill you? Buy them nice things, give em a hug, is that so hard???....

Sorry. Im bored.

And lets not forget...." A cart in the hand is worth two in the bush"

*blush*

Oh damn it, I forgot my medicine and I need sleep again. Stan Jr Please email me directions to the wake. I'm there for you and will share in your pain. Remember time heals all wounds.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: moycon ]