IGNORED

Seven-color PAINT program for 2600

supercat

I just produced a cute little seven-color paint program for the 2600 using an all-new display kernel. The kernel displays a 16x16 grid of squares that can be black, orange, pink, yellow, or cyan, dark blue, or dark green. It can also display a red or brown cursor.

To use the program, load the executable in your favorite cartridge or emulator. On startup, the drawing space will be preloaded with a demo picture and the cursor will blink in the upper-left corner.

Moving the joystick will move the cursor (naturally). Pushing and releasing the button will change the color under the cursor. Pushing and holding the button while moving the joystick will draw with the color under the cursor.

The color/BW switch selects flicker or stripes mode.

The left difficulty switch selects between a brown and red cursor.

Pushing reset will reload the default picture.

Pushing select will cycle colors in the current picture.

Pushing reset and select simultaneously (releasing reset first) will clear the current picture.

The expectation is that this kernel should be good for puzzle games. The whole drawing program is just under 1kbyte.

Note: First attempt was buggy

JPDEM1.ZIP

Second attempt--should be fixed

Edited by supercat

I just produced a cute little seven-color paint program for the 2600 using an all-new display kernel.  The kernel displays a 16x16 grid of squares that can be black, orange, pink, yellow, or cyan, dark blue, or dark green.  It can also display a red or brown cursor ...

868188[/snapback]

Looks good - any chance of posting the source code to show us how it is done?

Chris

Looks good - any chance of posting the source code to show us how it is done?

868880[/snapback]

What'd be the fun in that? One of the joys of the 2600 is seeing a new technique and then figuring out for yourself how it's done. Plus, in some ways my code is sorta icky. But I'll probably post it pretty soon anyway.