IGNORED

AtariAge at OVGE 2005

Albert

Who is bringing Lynx stuff and who wants to play some multiplayer? I've never gotten to play any multiplayer so I'm really looking forward to it!

Tell me what your name tag is gonna say so I can look for you.

-Tim :)

872414[/snapback]

I'm planning to bring 2 LYNX systems, 2 comlynx cables, and plenty of games (don't forget extra batteries! :) )

My name tag will have Brad P (purenergy) on it.

Hi there!

The 2005 Minigame Multicart that I mentioned in a previous post now has a sixth game!  The latest addition is Bob Montgomery's M-4, itself a port of an old arcade game from Midway.  :)

873788[/snapback]

See Thomas? It's possible to write a selection menu in less than 2 years! :lolblue:

Greetings,

Manuel

Is there anything going on after the show? Anyone have any plans?

873379[/snapback]

Yeah - after working a double shift the day before, driving to Tulsa at around 5 in the morning, setting up and having fun all day, I'm gonna sleep after the show. :lol: Hopefully not on the drive back this time! That seems to irritate the OHP so much when I do that... :ponder:

Just received a shipment today of Atari 5200 M.U.L.E. carts, which we'll be selling at our booth. We'll only have a small number of these at the show, so if you want one (and want to see it firsthand before buying it!) you'll have to move quickly. :) Additionally, we have copies of Ralph Baer's new book, "Videogames, In The Beginning", published recently by Rolenta Press.

See everyone at the show!

..Al

Here's a picture of the car's external temperature gauge while we were driving up to Tulsa yesterday.  This is just north of Fort Worth while we were stuck in traffic at the I35 merge ...

..Al

876532[/snapback]

That is around 42degreesC for the metrically inclined!

Chris

Well I made it to the show. Unfortunatly after about 30 mins there I recieved the message that my Father-in-law had passed away in a car accident. I wandered around a bit to settle myself and then headed back home.

The brief time I was there I had fun. I played Andrews 2600 Boulderdash wich is just superb! Met Megamanfan (now I need to get a wonderswan!), played man goes down and the other AA homebrews, some arcade games and got my copy of Go Fish!.

I also saw stingrays Mini outside! Very cool.

Sorry I wasn't able to lynx up for some multiplayer or go out to lunch. If I seemed quiet ,shy, or rude to anyone I talked to i'm usually not like that but under the circumstances :sad: .........

-Tim

Well I made it to the show. Unfortunatly after about 30 mins there I recieved the message that my Father-in-law had passed away in a car accident. I wandered around a bit to settle myself and then headed back home.

The brief time I was there I had fun. I played Andrews 2600 Boulderdash wich is just superb! Met Megamanfan (now I need to get a wonderswan!), played man goes down and the other AA homebrews, some arcade games and got my copy of Go Fish!.

I also saw stingrays Mini outside! Very cool.

Sorry I wasn't able to lynx up for some multiplayer or go out to lunch. If I seemed quiet ,shy, or rude to anyone I talked to i'm usually not like that but under the circumstances :sad:  .........

-Tim

876670[/snapback]

We were wondering why you disappeared so fast! :(

Please accept our condolences for your loss. You & your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Well, the third annual OVGE is over, and boy oh boy, was it lots of fun. I'd like to thank Jesse for setting this all up yet again, and pulling off an even better show than the previous two! It was cool for me this year, as I opted out of getting an exhibitors table so I could actually attend as a spectator, and I think it was a good idea, as I got to participate in all the tournaments I wanted to. Speaking of tourneys, HUGE grats to Wes for kicking the ever loving crap out of everybody in the Neo-Geo Garou: MOW tourney. I actually thought I might stand a decent chance there, but I got Wes first round, and he handed me my arse on a silver platter with all the garnishes. The exhibits were great this year, too. Flack's Star Wars Shrine setup was great (and even better, he had the Star Wars Arcade game playing on a Darth Vader 2600 system...but no one seemed to get the joke). Brian Green's setup was hilarious, as he had some extremely odd Japanese import games playing (And I still canNOT believe he had Toilet Kids playing on his PC Engine...EWWW!). My vote for item of show goes to Scott Huggins for his absolutely GORGEOUS mini-MAME tabletop arcade setup. I heard he got offered a humongous amount for it, but turned it down, and I can't blame him because that was one of the most beautifully designes machines I've ever seen. Thanks to Max and Dustin for letting this Neo-Geo fanboy get some time on their machines, too. Atari Age's tables looked incredible, as always, and they had some nifty homebrews up for sale (and I purposely came with NO money just so I wouldn't be tempted, hehe). Earl Green's setup was great again this year. Earl, seriously man, you need to let go of some of those kick-butt Japanese figurines and stuff man...especially your awesome Tron swag, hehe. Also thanks to Brad P for letting me see one of the absolute worst games ever creates...Air Cars for the Jaguar. Oddly enough, he had it on right next to one of THE greatest games ever, Tempest 2000, WITH the rotary controller. All in all, an A+ show, and I can't wait to see the total numbers this year, as it was pretty much packed all day long. Can't wait for next year!

Oh, can't forget Mr and Mrs. MegaManFan. I wore my Mega Man shirt JUST for you two! Hehe.

And sorry for your loss, Tim. Maybe next year you'll get to stay a little longer, eh?

Edited by 2600Lives

I just got back home about an hour ago. Whew, it was a long but fun day. A lot busier than last year's show.

When I first got there, I picked up from the Game Xchange table a copy of Wild Woody for the Sega CD, and a shrinkwrapped pack containing a Sega Saturn key cartridge to play import games, and four Japanese Saturn games. When I was talking to Brian, I told him what I'd bought (Since he had a Saturn set up playing imports) and really took a good look at the games that came with the key cartridge. Turns out I got some really good stuff. There was the Konami MSX Collection, something like 30 classic MSX games emulated, with greats like Gradius 1 & 2, Salamander, Sky Jaguar, Road Fighter, Yie-Ar Kung Fu, Antarctic Adventure, all sorts of good things. There was also Golden Axe-The Duel, Shin Shinobi Den (a Shinobi sequel with digitized graphics and lots of FMV), and Sega Worldwide Soccer 98. Everybody that saw the games I got were jealous. :) We played a bunch of the games, and they were pretty fun! Definitely worth the $19.99 I paid for the pack!

I also picked up Atari 5200 carts of Congo Bongo, Miner 2049er, and Rescue from Fractalus, all for $10 each. I also picked up some Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex, and Atari 2600 carts, along with a copy of Video Game Collector #3. And some homebrews from the Atari Age table, like Beef Drop, Skeleton+, and Go Fish.

I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you, pmpddytim. But I understand the seriousness of the reason you had to leave. I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by SteveW

Brian Green's setup was hilarious, as he had some extremely odd Japanese import games playing (And I still canNOT believe he had Toilet Kids playing on his PC Engine...EWWW!).

Hey! Now I have a username to go with the face. I didn't know this was you on Atari Age :)

I think I had a ton of people just stare at the game in disbelief... "is that.. a steaming pile of crap that I'm being shot at by?"

It was a great show this year, I think I spent more time talking to people than I did shopping. I would get maybe 5 feet and then run into someone I knew and just start yaking... It took me hours to get around the entire floor :) It was good to see everyone again!

2600Lives,

Man, thanks a TON for the compliments... it was a ton of work, but seeing people play it and enjoy it really made it worth it all. Andrew Davie and Paul Slocum even played some Galaga '88 (I think) on it ;-)

I'm sure the drive back to Dallas killed it again (multiple reboots are coming!).

Anyways, it was nice to see you there. SteveW, what games did you buy?

I picked up Fall Down, Gun Fight and Vault Assault. I can't WAIT to start playing!

Scott

Well, the third annual OVGE is over, and boy oh boy, was it lots of fun. I'd like to thank Jesse for setting this all up yet again, and pulling off an even better show than the previous two! It was cool for me this year, as I opted out of getting an exhibitors table so I could actually attend as a spectator, and I think it was a good idea, as I got to participate in all the tournaments I wanted to. Speaking of tourneys, HUGE grats to Wes for kicking the ever loving crap out of everybody in the Neo-Geo Garou: MOW tourney. I actually thought I might stand a decent chance there, but I got Wes first round, and he handed me my arse on a silver platter with all the garnishes. The exhibits were great this year, too. Flack's Star Wars Shrine setup was great (and even better, he had the Star Wars Arcade game playing on a Darth Vader 2600 system...but no one seemed to get the joke). Brian Green's setup was hilarious, as he had some extremely odd Japanese import games playing (And I still canNOT believe he had Toilet Kids playing on his PC Engine...EWWW!). My vote for item of show goes to Scott Huggins for his absolutely GORGEOUS mini-MAME tabletop arcade setup. I heard he got offered a humongous amount for it, but turned it down, and I can't blame him because that was one of the most beautifully designes machines I've ever seen. Thanks to Max and Dustin for letting this Neo-Geo fanboy get some time on their machines, too. Atari Age's tables looked incredible, as always, and they had some nifty homebrews up for sale (and I purposely came with NO money just so I wouldn't be tempted, hehe). Earl Green's setup was great again this year. Earl, seriously man, you need to let go of some of those kick-butt Japanese figurines and stuff man...especially your awesome Tron swag, hehe. Also thanks to Brad P for letting me see one of the absolute worst games ever creates...Air Cars for the Jaguar. Oddly enough, he had it on right next to one of THE greatest games ever, Tempest 2000, WITH the rotary controller. All in all, an A+ show, and I can't wait to see the total numbers this year, as it was pretty much packed all day long. Can't wait for next year!

Oh, can't forget Mr and Mrs. MegaManFan. I wore my Mega Man shirt JUST for you two! Hehe.

And sorry for your loss, Tim. Maybe next year you'll get to stay a little longer, eh?

876851[/snapback]

I'm still recovering from the OVGE trip this year - as anyone who talked to me probably guessed, I was losing my voice in a big hurry, having just recently gotten over being sick as a dog. Excellent show this year though - I was kinda frustrated by some technical difficulties at my table, but quickly got a "Plan B" going that was just about workable (a Gamecube + a Gamecube + GB Player on loan from Flack, hooked up together to play Pac-Man Vs. on 2 TVs!).

My video loop worked perfectly this year and played throughout the day, though if you thought it was ick-worthy that Brian brought Toilet Kids, I went and hid for a bit when the first time my video presentation came to the little demo of Custer's Revenge, there was a woman with 3-4 kids sitting there watching the whole thing with rapt attention, prodding them to watch it with her. :lol: Remember, THEY'RE JUST DANCING! By the end of the day, I realized that I could have brought just two things - that video loop and the Super Mario Bros. magnetic "stage figures" - and everyone would've been happy. I think the most play time that my PS1 + Amazing Rotating LCD Monitor got...was from me. :P

Also noticed at least two local TV stations there. One of them shot right over my shoulder as I was playing Robotron with my two-joystick PS1 setup, and I was actually "in the zone," so as much as I wanted to turn around and give them my well-rehearsed speech about why retrogaming is a great hobby and an even better subject of historical study, I really needed to make short work of the Brains. :lolblue: It was a decent year for selling stuff too, though I wasn't even trying particularly hard to sell anything.

I picked up Go Fish (approximately 10 seconds after I played it at the OVGE tournament table) and went back later before the end of the show to grab Starfire. I also picked up a great many other goodies, and my wife was trying to talk me into buying the Star Wars arcade game, which is surely the 6.8th sign of the apocalypse. :D

I was in possibly the most fun "island" in the whole room - MegaManFan and Mrs. MegaManFan on one side, icbrkr & Mrs. icbrkr on the other. Good neighbors made this a fun show - I spent as much time talking to people "in the island" as I did outside of it! The MegaMan DVD was a real treat - man, all of a sudden everybody's got a DVD this year! For next year's show I'll probably have to come up with live 3-D interactive holograms or somethin' just to keep up with the Joneses. :D

Sadly, my complete and total lack of sleep - I had been up since about 8am Friday morning - and my even greater lack of organization conspired to make me forget to bring my camera, so I have zero pictures to show from this year. I do believe Kent grabbed some video footage though, so we'll see what he came up with. Probably lots of video of me trying not to pass out on my wife's shoulder.

I have to say, that was quite a fun time! My first ever classic gaming convention and I got to meet so many cool people! I especially enjoyed meeting Andrew Davie, Mr and Mrs Megamanfan and Scott Huggins, I was happy to get to hang out with Paul Slocum again, and Billy (of Warring Worms fame) was great company (and great help!!) for Albert and myself for the entire trip. We got back home about 4 hours ago and I am so *tired*. We have some pics of our own to post as soon as we get some rest.. hehe. Overall it was a most enjoyable trip and I am very glad I got to experience it. :)

Great show! Although I was a bit on the antisocial side (getting laid off due to a revenue shortage a couple of days prior to the event will do that to a person, I suppose), I had a good time, talked to some great people and bought some excellent home brews (kudos on "Go Fish," by the way -- everyone needs to buy it).

I'll be writing an article for my old employer, "The Daily Record" in Little Rock on a freelance deal, and I'll post the link to the thing as soon as the rascal runs.

This is the second year I've been to Tulsa for Mr. Hardesty's show, and I certainly plan on making it over there again next year.