IGNORED

Label Contest Alternate Reality: The City *update*

Which AR: The City Label Design is the best?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which AR: The City Label Design is the best?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

arcity1im.jpg

Alternate Reality: The City, Cartridge Label Design Contest.

The winner will receive a certificate and a free copy of Alternate Reality: The City game cartridge or the value thereof*

Post your entries in this thread and vote! All entries will be copied from the thread and listed in the first post with a voting number attached.

Suggestions:

Art for printing on flash cartridge labels should be 650x450, 72 ppi. Some of the area near the edges will 'bleed' and may not get printed, so dont put anything critical right at the edge. The physical size of the Flash cart label depression is 2.075" x 1.365" So your image should be designed to look good at those dimensions. Check out the first three images below for examples of Flashcart labels.

1. Using original AR artwork is a good way to show homage and respect for the original game and artists, but feel free to be creative.

2. Try to make use of the AR font.

3. Give Philip Price a credit or copyright. All rights to AR have now reverted back to Philip Price.

4. "AtariAge was informed by Atari that the use of the Atari Logo was prohibited as it is copyright unless permission was granted." - thanks, 8bitclassics

*dependant upon the cost of the conversion being completed by Wrathchild and the cost of the flash cartridge at that time.

The first three images are examples of Flahscart Labels.

post-6865-1118371186_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371198_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371253_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371291_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371332_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371347_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371370_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371398_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1118371457_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1119213835_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1119213987_thumb.jpg

post-6865-1119214012_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xebec's Demise

Ok, this is just my personal opinion, and it probably won't effect anything that you are doing here, I'm sure you will go ahead with it anyway, but it's not like this is an original game like all the other Atari "hombrews" that have label contests, and I personally don't hink there should be one! I think that the label should bare the ORIGINAL ARTWORK from the box as it was intended to be, it's all part of the nostalgia to me as well. To have someone come up woth all-new artwork for this classic materpiece, IMHO, is sacrelig! It may mean absolutely nothing, but if the label (and box if there is one) are all-new artwork, I won't buy one for sure. I'll just stick to my good-old floppies...Sorry if I upset you about this Xebec's Demise, but it just plain doesn't seem right to me to have new artwork! Why not have a contest to redo the in-game artwork to?!? Why stop at label and possibly box art? In a sense it's like colorizingclassic old black an white movies wihich destroys the original directors "vision" and the way they filmed things a certain way becuase it was black&white! AHHGG!! This make me feel sick. What is happenimg to my favorite game?!?!? It's being "colorized!" AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Even Atari had the foreshight and wisdom to keep the original box art intact on their re-releases of floppy and tape based games onto cartridge for the XEGS!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Good point, I respect your opinion and I agree with you. The original artwork should used if possible, but it would also be fun to see what people can come up with. The cartridge does need a label though and there is no reason that it cannot be designed with original artwork. Or, are you saying that the cartridge should not be made at all?

See, the problem with using the exact image on the box is it's much too big to shrink down onto a cartridge label and still have it look good, so it needs to be modified. You can still use the original artwork, but you need to decide what is the most important parts to keep or what will look the best on the cartridge and how the layout should look and create a new design or layout that will look good on the space of the cartridge.

Do you think you can put together a label design using the image from the box and the original AR lettering? If so, you may win a free copy of the cartridge and a certificate proving that you designed it! :)

What do you think about actual AR graphics and designs that were made for the game but were not printed on any of the original game package, such as the image in my avatar? I think that is acceptable, since it is actual AR artwork. What do you think?

Although, it would be cool to have a nice image of some castle walls surrounding a village with an adventurer walking through the City gate. Or maybe, the original spaceship floating gate, but with a better image of an ancient city on the other side of the floating gate?

There could still be many designs incorporating the original artwork.

Edited by Xebec's Demise

No, i'm cetainly not saying that a cartridge shouldn't be made, I do like that idea, and I like it FAR better than a 'Flashcart' image, I'd rather have an A.R. cartridge, it's much more tangable, and would be cool to have it's own cartridge with a label, etc. It is just a cchange in format like an old movie on VHS or DVD, etc. it preserves it, something totally different that "colorization" of an old B&W movie which ruins the original artistic "style." Unless done by the original creators, this is unacceptable to me. But I just don't like the idea of seeing some Johnny-come-lately's" artwork on it, including my own, and quite frankly, I'm a pretty darn good artist and could come up with some good label art, if I ever chose to do so, which I never have *yet*, for any of the "label contests." But I'd much rather like to see the same art that was on the front box cover, and it shouldn't be too hard to do. maybe not from some one's hom scanner, but if you came up with other "official" A.R. art for your Avatar, surely ther must be a better source of the original cover art, and reduction is a cinch to a printing company that would be doing the printing (surely this is not going to be something that's printed up on somebody's home printer?!? I also think a contest could be very fun for people, and I don't want to ruin somebodies plans for doing something for this contest, but maybe the cartridge could have two alternative labels? People could choose if they wanted the "winner's" label on their cartridge or the original artwork. Or maybe two labels could be included with the cartridge and peole could choos which to put on themselves and keep the other as part of a collecotor's item package? Will there be a box? Or is this going to be a loose cartridge? How about instruction manuals? A lot of people that never bought or can't find the original game may want those too. I know I've been looking for a new in box edidtion to put on my 'Atari shelf' and none of the current Atari software dealers seem to have either alternate reality game in stock anymore...

I think it might be cool to have the label be some other 'original/offical' A.R. artwork too. Especially if it was done by the original artist. is there someplace to see such artwork? I just don't like the idea of the artwork being done by some current 'amatuer' no matter how good they might be(o.k., so some of you may be professionals, but you certainly don't have the same style as the original artist(s), no one does except them). Including myself. It's a "purist" thing I guess. I guess maybe I'm the only true "purist." :(

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Are you looking at producing these on standard Atari 8-Bit carts? Or what is the label size. You might want to put more information in regards to the contest at the top. Like 2" x 1" or whatever it comes out to be. Also items like Atari's logo shouldn't be on it and have requirements for what should. Like the text with copyrights, etc. If you end up looking at something with just the original graphics, you won't have many choices, maybe layout changes. But since it is based on an already released title, that should probably be the way to go. Does anybody have the box/manual that they can scan in at a hi res (300dpi) for people to use. I created templates for Atari 2600/5200/7800 Atari cart labels with Photoshop. Would probably do the same, but need more specifics. I don't have that one in my library, so would need the artwork also.

Corey

• Like 1

Are you looking at producing these on standard Atari 8-Bit carts?  Or what is the label size.  You might want to put more information in regards to the contest at the top.  Like 2" x 1" or whatever it comes out to be.  Also items like Atari's logo shouldn't be on it and have requirements for what should.  Like the text with copyrights, etc.  If you end up looking at something with just the original graphics, you won't have many choices, maybe layout changes.  But since it is based on an already released title, that should probably be the way to go.  Does anybody have the box/manual that they can scan in at a hi res (300dpi) for people to use.  I created templates for Atari 2600/5200/7800 Atari cart labels with Photoshop.  Would probably do the same, but need more specifics.  I don't have that one in my library, so would need the artwork also.

Corey

870538[/snapback]

The project is centered around the standard flashcart, but we sure could get much more room to work with and do the AR cart more justice with a larger label or a cartridge case that had a larger label area. After checking out your nice website, I see that you may be able to make some helpful recommendations?

Edited by Xebec's Demise

Ok, here is a quick label I did that is for the dimensions. A note should be made that a bleed area needs to be created so no white space is left when printing. Kind of like when AtariAge runs a contest. Also, make sure your labels are at 300DPI for good print quality. Makes all the difference. less pixelated.

I still need to clean up the font label a bit, but just a quick design I did this morning.

Corey

post-6452-1118409019_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like the post #13 image, but the post #14 is also interesting.

Can you try it with a Stat's bar at the top taken from a screenshot,

just closing up some of the horizontal gaps a bit?

An alternative would be to put a 'watermark' of the gate behind the #14.

(not sure how to describe that properly - basically the gate picture

but so you harldy notice it :| )

Cheers,

Mark

PS: Ultimately I'd probably have 'Mark Keates' show instead

of 'Wrathchild' but cross that bridge when we get there.

• Like 1

I like the post #13 image, but the post #14 is also interesting.

Can you try it with a Stat's bar at the top taken from a screenshot,

just closing up some of the horizontal gaps a bit?

An alternative would be to put a 'watermark' of the gate behind the #14.

(not sure how to describe that properly - basically the gate picture

but so you harldy notice it :| )

Cheers,

Mark

PS: Ultimately I'd probably have 'Mark Keates' show instead

of 'Wrathchild' but cross that bridge when we get there.

871969[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply back. I agree with the name change, but I didn't know your name, so just put what I knew. I know what you mean for the "watermark", you want me to clip out the gate, make the opacity about say 50% or less just to add it to the background.

As for the Stat's bar, is that the top bar above the door? Or you talking in game? Will be away for couple days, but will watch the conversation, will make changes when I get home.

Thanks,

Corey

• Like 1

Hi, the stats taken from an in-game screenshot, e.g. like this (but not such a wimpy guy!)

871985[/snapback]

Which label do you see this on? Also, what I would probably do is use a regular font like I did with the label to recreate it for printability sake. So if you wanted to write down what you thought would go well for stats, I can add that.

Corey

• Like 1

Dead topic?

874316[/snapback]

Nope, just busy(ish) - post #20 is great, maybe try leaving the gate's contents in too?

By adding the stats, I meant take image #13 and just add a stats bar (taking from a screen dump or self-constructed one as you suggest) to the top of this, shuffling the texts down a little to accomodate this. I think putting the stats from the covershot wouldn't work due to its slant.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Great to see your entries!

If you added the Alternate Reality to the bottom of the floating gate in #13, the stats would still be visible. There is plenty of floor and gate to cover up, but only one small area where the stats are.

Ok, looks like I will make up a few myself to get things rolling along.

One question though, is there an easy way get a good cutout of the Alternate Reality text besides carefully tracing around it with a selection tool or using an eraser to painstakingly edit around the text?

I am using Photoshop 5.0.

Edited by Xebec's Demise