IGNORED

Programming for Atari 2600

I have no experience in programming at all and would like to learn how to program games for the Atari 2600. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a starting point. As far as books, manuals, web sits, and anything else that my help. Can anyone help me?

I have no experience in programming at all and would like to learn how to program games for the Atari 2600. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a starting point. As far as books, manuals, web sits, and anything else that my help. Can anyone help me?

Why don't you just start reading Andrew's tutorials right here? :?

I did check out Andrew's tutorials, but noticed that in Session 1: Start Here Andrew had stated that… “We're going to assume that you know how to program *something*, but not much more than that.” I, unfortunately, haven't even reached the "something" part, and was hoping there was a good book, manual, etc. out there to start with. Thank you very much for your time. I do appreciate you responding to my question.

I did check out Andrew's tutorials, but noticed that in Session 1: Start Here Andrew had stated that… “We're going to assume that you know how to program *something*, but not much more than that.” I, unfortunately, haven't even reached the "something" part, and was hoping there was a good book, manual, etc. out there to start with. Thank you very much for your time. I do appreciate you responding to my question.

877324[/snapback]

You should probably search out information on the 6502 processor on the net. Look at how some simple programs work. Get familar with the concepts of memory, registers, instructions, etc... It's really not that hard once you memorize the basics. Then come back and start reading how to control the 2600 using the these concepts.

-Bry

• 1 month later...

873982[/snapback]

This is a good book for 6502 assembly language.

http://www.atariarchives.org/alp/

God luck and have fun! :)

Jim