IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 23: G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Defend and fire! That's your mission in this battle between the G.I. Joes and their archenemy Cobra! Cobra, an evil organization, determined to take over the world, now slithers back and forth over the G.I. Joe training camp in the form of a giant cobra snake. And that means danger for the G.I. Joe recruits running for shelter between the training building and headquarters.

You see, the Cobra is trying to capture them by shooting venom from its fangs and laser beams from its eyes. If hit by venom, a recruit is "vaporized" until he materializes again...at Cobra Headquarters! And if he's hit by a laser beam, he's directly "beamed up!"

But you as G.I. Joe can protect the recruits with your atomic-powered energy shield. You as G.I. Joe can destroy the Cobra with your missile-firing guns. But you must be quick with your wits and deadly with your aim. It's a mission for only a highly trained commando like you!

Game Information

• Game Name: G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Shield can fire in any position.
  • Right Difficulty: Not Applicable
  • Game Mode: 1 Player, Level 1 (Defaults)
  • Chosen By: the 5th ghost

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, June 28th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be khryssun! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. goldfuji.gif219,200 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
  2. silverfuji.gif53,510 (xeex) [+10]
  3. bronzefuji.gif49,350 (Osbo) [+9]
  4. 43,790 (StanJr) [+8]
  5. 38,420 (khryssun) [+7]
  6. 23,350 (Malc74) [+6]
  7. 22,050 (vdub_bobby) [+5]
  8. 13,610 (SpiceWare) [+4]
  9. 9870 (keilbaca) [+3]
  10. 7790 (LarcenTyler) [+2]
  11. 6490 (Xebec's Demise) [+1]
  12. 6290 (Omegamatrix) [+1]
  13. 6190 (panda_racer) [+1]
  14. 4090 (Goochman) [+1]
  15. 2400 (scogey) [+1]
  16. 1480 (gospeedde) [+1]

Best Tips

• ribbon.gifthe 5th ghost [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet

Current Standings

1. StanJr [198]
  2. keilbaca [176]
  3. the 5th ghost [147]
  4. Osbo [99]
  5. SpiceWare [83]
  6. Malc74 [76]
  7. sku_u [71]
  8. vdub_bobby [63]
  9. gospeedde [54]
  10. Fellow Atari Man [52]
  11. video game addict [49]
  12. KaeruYojimbo [47]
  13. LarcenTyler [42]
  14. Christophero Sly [41]
  15. Numan [39]
  16. Mad Scientist [38]
  17. khryssun [36]
  18. Robert M [33]
  19. Keir [32]
  20. Lord Thag [30]
  21. racer raul [29]
  22. Cybergoth [29]
  23. Goochman [29]
  24. Blackjack [28]
  25. chrisbid [28]
  26. Philflound [27]
  27. panda_racer [25]
  28. pitfallaimee [24]
  29. Dones [24]
  30. xeex [22]
  31. Lord Helmet [21]
  32. Dan Iacovelli [20]
  • mikeftrevino [18]
  • chubsta [17]
  • cyberneticimplant [15]
  • yuppicide [15]
  • candiru [14]
  • scogey [14]
  • davepesc [13]
  • cvga [13]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [9]
  • Omegamatrix [8]
  • adams_ale [6]
  • Luigi301 [5]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
  • Bubbledragon [4]
  • BydoEmpire [3]
  • kemsted [3]
  • Stingray [3]
  • 128bytes [2]
  • Voch [2]
  • bjk7382 [2]
  • iguana [2]
  • Damon Plus [2]
  • Kepone [2]
  • neotokeo2001 [1]
  • Chris++ [1]
  • bmlbytes [1]
  • awsomo3000 [1]
  • madbutscher [1]
  • Scooterb23 [1]
  • internetotaku [1]
  • Gateway [1]

Member List

khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost

Scoring Points in G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike

• Each recruit reaching safety: 10 points
  • Hitting the Cobra's eyes: 100 points
  • Destroying the Cobra: 1000 points
  • Making the Bonus Shot: 10,000 points
  • For every 10,000 points scored, you'll receive one additional recruit.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has a typed copy of it online for your reading pleasure.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well, it doesn't really provide any specific hints anyways.

Tip 1:

Develope a rhythm with your shots and blocks. Remember to hold down the fire button until your shot makes contack with the Cobra's head. Holding the button down also freezes your shield, so use this to your advantage when defending against the Cobra's Death Beam (hint hint)

Tip 2:

There are 16 levels. The good news is after your defeat the most difficult 16th Cobra, (the black and yellow one,) the difficulty resets back to the easy 1st Cobra. Use this to rebuild your reserves on the easier levels if you need to. You can only have 4 reserves. The key, is surviving the 16th level. At this point, only focus on blocking its shots and wait for the Death Ray sequence. When the Cobra starts flashing, try to get in at least 2 shots before it starts moving again, then go back to blocking and bide your time for the next opportunity.

Tip 3:

If you sacrifice certain Joes, you can get them to cross the screen in two tight pairs, leaving huge gaps between them. Luckily the Cobra isn't a very good shot so use this to your advantage. When you know the Cobra won't hit anything, fire away at him and ingore his shots. And, of course, listen for the special sound when the Cobra goes into its Ultra Death Ray. When you hear this sound you have to quickly hit the Cobra. Not only do you destroy it right then and there, but you get 10K added to your score which is an easy free guy if you need it! Think of this as getting the money man on Journey Escape.

The key is to remember that if you make a bad shot, you can immediately erase it with your new shot, therefore you can't rapid fire, but you can rapid correct. Hitting the KILL SHOT in the later levels is a must, you'll usually get two JOES back and rack up the pointage.
Here are a few things that have occurred to me as I have been playing this week:

Take your time. The game is not timed, yet I found I was getting in a hurry to kill the Cobra. No need, protect the JOES, and shoot when you have a shot.

To that end, remember that your primary task is to protect the JOES. On the higher levels I survive longer if I wait for the shot, block the shot, and then while blocking, take my shot at the Cobra. Never leave your JOES uncovered. There is plenty of time to ruin Cobra's day.

The final shot that kills the Cobra also wipes out anything the Cobra has shot. So this is the one time you can leave a JOE uncovered and just blast the Cobra, just be sure you hit!

There is a rhythm to the Cobra's firing pattern. It changes as the difficulty increases, but once you lock onto the rhythm, you'll be better prepared to defend and retaliate. However, the special KILLING SHOT appears to be random. I played 8 games today well past the 10K mark and never once heard the warning signal.

Each Cobra behaves differently, learn how the Cobras act and you can plan an attact for each.

Right now the Red and Yellow Cobra is kicking my ass. He is fast moving and fast shooting with fast dropping shots.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

I hope everyone has fun with this one. I wanted to pick a paddle game, just to shake things up :cool:

My second choice was going to be Sky Jinks, which is a timed game. Again, I thought it would be a neat change of pace, rather than trying to rack up monster scores.

But, in the end, the paddle game won :)

I'm thinking up a bounty for this game, I'll PM Zero when I do...

Ok,

I'll kick things off here...

Time for my tips :)

Tip 1:

Develope a rhythm with your shots and blocks. Remember to hold down the fire button until your shot makes contack with the Cobra's head. Holding the button down also freezes your shield, so use this to your advantage when defending against the Cobra's Death Beam (hint hint)

Tip 2:

There are 16 levels. The good news is after your defeat the most difficult 16th Cobra, (the black and yellow one,) the difficulty resets back to the easy 1st Cobra. Use this to rebuild your reserves on the easier levels if you need to. You can only have 4 reserves. The key, is surviving the 16th level. At this point, only focus on blocking its shots and wait for the Death Ray sequence. When the Cobra starts flashing, try to get in at least 2 shots before it starts moving again, then go back to blocking and bide your time for the next opportunity.

Tip 3:

If you sacrifice certain Joes, you can get them to cross the screen in two tight pairs, leaving huge gaps between them. Luckily the Cobra isn't a very good shot so use this to your advantage. When you know the Cobra won't hit anything, fire away at him and ingore his shots. And, of course, listen for the special sound when the Cobra goes into its Ultra Death Ray. When you hear this sound you have to quickly hit the Cobra. Not only do you destroy it right then and there, but you get 10K added to your score which is an easy free guy if you need it! Think of this as getting the money man on Journey Escape.

Enjoy!

...make that 11550.

878203[/snapback]

Hi Malc74,

Woaoow...How can you make such a score using an emulator, that's Great !!!

Ok, I'am not good at this game, but as I'am curious I'd like to know the secrets of the good players :D

- What emulator you are using ?

- How you control the shield (Keyboard / Mouse / Paddles (Stelladaptor) ?

Anyway Congrats ;)

...make that 11550.

878203[/snapback]

Hi Malc74,

Woaoow...How can you make such a score using an emulator, that's Great !!!

Ok, I'am not good at this game, but as I'am curious I'd like to know the secrets of the good players :D

- What emulator you are using ?

- How you control the shield (Keyboard / Mouse / Paddles (Stelladaptor) ?

Anyway Congrats ;)

878272[/snapback]

Heh. I'm using a Stelladaptor with Atari paddles, so it's a lot easier than the mouse (I've just tried playing with the mouse and managed to get 5600 points, but it's a lot more difficult). Stella is my emulator of choice.

I think the most important thing to do is just get used to the weird way you control the shield and the high rate of inertia you have to put up with. Also bear in mind that when you press fire you lock the shield in place, so you can put the shield under the cobra's shots and keep it there while you take a couple of blasts at the cobra itself. Then move your shield under the next shot and blast again. It takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it it works quite well.

Incidentally, I had a few more goes and improved to 14900.

post-4591-1119374553_thumb.png

This is quite an interesting game. I think the 3-player mode would be a lot of fun - I'd want to be the giant cobra, of course.

Anyway, this one has just been gathering dust in my game chest. It still has a Goodwill sticker on it for 29 cents. :) Thanks for rescuing it from obscurity.

I've been hovering around 20,000 - nothing official to report yet.

As with most paddle games, I will suck at this one. I remember as a kid thinking "how the hell is THIS GI JOE? I loved GI JOE as a kid and was expecting something a little more along the lines of Commando, not some weird shoot the snake game.

Ah well 21,480 (will probably be my best). and that was only possible because I hit the "killing shot."

Tough game.

maybe I'm not going to totally suck at this!

The key is to remember that if you make a bad shot, you can immediately erase it with your new shot, therefore you can't rapid fire, but you can rapid correct. Hitting the KILL SHOT in the later levels is a must, you'll usually get two JOES back and rack up the pointage.

Hey Malc74, why does the Cobra look funky on all of your screenshots?

878848[/snapback]

Must be an old emulator. GI Joe uses TIA tricks that didn't get figured out until later versions.

878914[/snapback]

Hmm, yes, I'm using Stella 1.3 - is that what would be causing it? It's funny, but I never even noticed it until you pointed it out!

Would there be a problem with gameplay caused by this? If so I can resubmit a score on a newer version of Stella (just downloading 1.4.2 right now).

EDIT - Gah! I'm an idiot! I just checked - I have the newest version of Stella installed, but did I bother to update my shorttcut on the desktop? No, not me! So I've actually been using version 1.1.3.1 without realising!

Edited by Malc74