IGNORED

The problem with collectors

Atarinvader

There are a lot of 2600 collectors out there that just seem to take themselves too seriously.

When I first opened up Atarinvader I got called a "inbred brother of an eBay seller" by a well known group of UK collectors (you know who you are), because the site had an on-line shop for me to get rid of a few of my duplicate carts. Apparently this isn't the 'done thing'. We'll I say screw you to those that think that. Like I'm gonna make a profit on about 5 carts. Idiots.

Luckily idiots like this seem to be too up their own arses to post on AA...phewww...

Am I the only person that seems to find these type of people that can rattle of every Atari release date, programmer and rarity for every cart ever, and not have a laugh about it and admit to being a geek?

quote:

Originally posted by Secret Quest:

There is nothing wrong with selling your duplicate carts even for a profit. The way I look at it, you need a source of income to buy more carts :-)

Just as long as your not trying to sell Pac-mans for $5.

Exactly! This is why I can't understand why I get so much flak when I mention e-Bay. I don't super inflate prices like I've seen others do. Every once in a while I might have one that's higher than everyone else, but it usually doesn't sell and I have to bring the price down anyway. I've bought alot of my collection with the money I've made selling to others. I say if people really want it, give it to them. And if they really want to pay that price, let them. I won't put a Pac-Man cart up for $5, but if the bidding gets that high, well, it's still sold. Not my fault someone else went crazy.

Mahalo!

I said my peace about die hard collectors after the absolutely ridiculous price paid for the Lochjaw game. ($960? Even as a collector that is mad money). I have no problem with those who sell carts for cash or trade. No body is twisting your arm to buy the game and everybody has the right to engage in some legal capitalism. My philosophy is that Atari is fun and hearkens back to the more innocent time in my life. It is not a way of life and I do not want to get that Air Raid cart. Fortunately so far the good stuff can be had for cheap, the system can be found everywhere, not just on Ebay. My big worry about collectors in the future is that the prices will get skewed away from the casual gamer. Still... there are other systems, other games, other pasttimes. Colecovison? Intellivision? PC? XBox? A good book?

Yes, some collectors do take themselves and their collections too seriously. For better and worse, they are a minority, but a VERY LOUD minority at times. They should be able to have a sense of humor about their obsession. They just need some perspective.

In the end, people are going to be people, and you can't change them short of hitting them with a brick. That is why people invented "tolerance."

Lover of all peoples big and small (even NE146 ) Stan

This should be a fun hobby, not something you do to supplement your retirement portfolio. While I myself do look to sell some of my rare items for a nice healthy profit margin, I know my limits and by no means do I look at this as a money-first activity.

I've been a gamer since 1982, ever since I played my first game of Pac-Man. It's nice to finally be able to buy any of the systems I missed out on as a kid. But I try not to go about this with a "completist attitude". Those who take their collections or themselves so seriously need to re-evaluate why they are in this hobby to begin with. Lighten up and enjoy the games.

Went to your site today man!!! another to add to my fav's , hell...i even played the online games..( and i really sucked at them, pc too slow)..

Are people really that bothered about others selling carts ? weird!...All the best for the future mate, top job ....the yob

I am a collector of Atari 2600 items but i'm not a tight ass about it. I don't care what other people sell from there collection and if there is something I don't have then I will buy it from them and I have no problem getting ride of any doubles I have.

I got back into consoles after being beat down about arcades for a long while. In the coin op collecting community, if you buy a borken game and sell it fixed for a profit, you are a jerk. I do not understand that philosophy. If you have things to sell, you should be able to do that.

I hope no one sees my occasional sale on ebay as a bad thing. When you collect a lot, you are always upgrading. My "downgrades" are still better that none at all for others.

Besides, if no one was selling anything, what would we all buy?

Cassidy

There are other communitys out there that have a completely different ideology. Needless to say I have nothing to do with the aforementioned 'community' any more.

They weren't very supportive over Atarinvader.com , none of them wanted to help out. But you guys...you guys are just great....sorry I think I have something in my eye.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

I wonder what they would say if I told them I just sent sonnenhexer two Combats and a Laser Blast free of charge! GASP! Scandal!!! Giving away carts! Crazy.

I have so many damn Combat carts that I'll never be able to get rid of them all. One of these days I'm going to make good on my threat to make a cool coffee table out of them. Probably put one of each Atari picture label game under glass, or something cool like that. But that won't really help me get rid of all my Combats, Pac-Mans, Asteroids, Defenders and ET carts. I just have one thing to say: I am *NOT* moving all of them again, so if it comes time to move and I still have 'em all (many hundreds, just of those carts listed above), they'll be disposed of quickly and without sorrow.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I just have one thing to say: I am *NOT* moving all of them again, so if it comes time to move and I still have 'em all (many hundreds, just of those carts listed above), they'll be disposed of quickly and without sorrow.

..Al

If it gets to that point, or if you want to get of them now, just let me know I'll be more than happy to pay for shipping to get them. And if you want I'll even add a little extra to make you even happier to get rid of them

Seriously though just e-mail me, I will be more than happy to take any Combat's, Pac-man's, Defenders, ANYTHING

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

If it gets to that point, or if you want to get of them now, just let me know I'll be more than happy to pay for shipping to get them. And if you want I'll even add a little extra to make you even happier to get rid of them

Ha, when typing my message I completely spaced on the fact that common carts are now "more in demand" than previously, with all the homebrew projects taking place. What I should do is just offer batches of carts free to homebrew authors, in return for a copy of the game when it's released.

..Al

quote:

Ha, when typing my message I completely spaced on the fact that common carts are now "more in demand" than previously, with all the homebrew projects taking place. What I should do is just offer batches of carts free to homebrew authors, in return for a copy of the game when it's released.

..Al

Yeah that is one thing I could do with them, use them for publishing Atari 2600 games. or I could be the proud owner of 100+ Combats or something

quote:

..Al

Ha! That's exactly how I got Crazy Valet! I just e-mailed him an asked if he had any numbered copies left. When he said yes I offered him 50 commons because he said he needed spare parts. I ended up sending like 60+ because I got more in by the time I was ready to ship, but I was happy to get rid of them.

I would be happy to part with any number of commons, if someone wants to trade something good (rare, unique or just plain useful or sellable.)

quote:

Originally posted by MoonlightKnight:

I would be happy to part with any number of commons, if someone wants to trade something good (rare, unique or just plain useful or sellable.)

Perhaps I should work at being a proud 100+ Combat game cartridge owner

I'll e-mail you here shortly with some trade items, etc.