IGNORED

Vectrex Parts

moycon

I'm looking for a place that sells Vectrex parts. In particular the joystick.

I have a joystick that works fine...However, the actual "stick" is missing.

It looks like one can just be screwed back onto the post.

Does anyone know where spare sticks can be purchased? Or maybe an alternative? Right now I have a dart shaft in place of the stick, but it doesn't screw down so while it does function, its a tad wobbley.

Ooops I wrote shaft but I ment barrel.

A 2BA barrel to be exact. These would be perfect except while 2BA has the smallest thread I know, it's still not small enough to screw into the base. :sad:

It definately helps, but is loose and is a minor distraction. Would be sooooo much better if I could find something similar that actually screwed in snug. I might have to take a trip to Home Depot and see what I can dig up.

Yesterday I came across a post where someone had fixed a Vectrex controller by removing the stick (entire assembly, not just the stick itself) from another classic controller and it just screwed right in where the Vectrex stick used to be. I can't for the life of me remember where that post was and I can't seem to find it again. I'm thinking it may have been a Tandy or a Radio Shack controller that was the stick donor.

I can never find anything with the new forum's search function. :(

-S

On that subject Chad, does the PSX controller adapter work with both the analog stick and the digital dpad? Does a PS2 controller work with it too or does it have to be an original PSX controller? Still haven't decided it I want to plunk down $45 for the adapter, but I most likely will.

-S

Yesterday I came across a post where someone had fixed a Vectrex controller by removing the stick (entire assembly, not just the stick itself) from another classic controller and it just screwed right in where the Vectrex stick used to be. I can't for the life of me remember where that post was and I can't seem to find it again. I'm thinking it may have been a Tandy or a Radio Shack controller that was the stick donor.

I can never find anything with the new forum's search function. :(

-S

879421[/snapback]

I wonder if it was an old like controller like the one in the picture I've attached?

I would rather not use the PS controller. The original Vectrex controllers were always one of my favorites.

post-544-1119531798_thumb.jpg

Edited by moycon

It does have full Dual Shock support, meaning full analog on the stick. Since only a very small number of games support anyway, I almost always use an original PS1 controller without a stick at all.

I can't say for sure if it supports a PS2 controller as I don't have a PS2. I had one and tried a PS2 controller briefly and it wasn't immediately plug and play. Maybe with some tweaking of the button mapping you could get it working, but I can't say for sure on that one.

I can say the first party original PS1 and first party PS1 Dual Shocks both work very well.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually still considering building a controller myself, but only because I enjoy tinkering with stuff, and I have a box of arcade sticks that I'm not using. I may pick one of the adapters up anyway.

-S

I wonder if it was an old like controller like the one in the picture I've attached?

879428[/snapback]

Yup! That's the one. Take the plastic screw shaft off that one and put on your Vectrex! Parts are interchangable. But the pots have different values .. and the RS ones do not center.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

• 14 years later...
On 6/22/2005 at 9:27 PM, moycon said:

I'm looking for a place that sells Vectrex parts. In particular the joystick.

I have a joystick that works fine...However, the actual "stick" is missing.

It looks like one can just be screwed back onto the post.

Does anyone know where spare sticks can be purchased? Or maybe an alternative? Right now I have a dart shaft in place of the stick, but it doesn't screw down so while it does function, its a tad wobbley.

Tony Lindberg, User "fruktodlaren" on AtariAge and Vector Forums, produces replacement Vectrex Controller Joystick Knobs.  The knobs are machined replacements that simply screw into place on the end of the Vectrex joystick shaft. The knobs are sized and shaped to form exactly as the original factory joystick component.  They are available in a variety of metals and plastics in natural finish and other finishes. For aluminum they can also be ordered with an anodized finish.

See Tony's Replacement Vectrex Controller Joystick Knob sales post in the Facebook Group Vectrex Fan Unite! here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vectrex/permalink/673260116217702/  

For some pictures available outside Facebook see my AtariAge thread on the topic here: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/270217-joystick-knob-replacement-for-vectrex-controller