IGNORED

Fair price for a Catbox these days?

Gunstar

I have a friend that wants to sell his Catbox, and I offered to buy it from him. I don't want to pay too much (compared to going prices), but I also don't want to "cheat" him out of a fair deal either. So what do you think he would get for it if he sold it on E-bay today? He's willing to sell for less to me than what he'd get on E-bay, to give me a good deal, but I don't want to under cut him too much. Now I know people have payed about $100-150 on E-bay in the past, and some even more than that. but I think $100 was a good deal (for the buyer). So, would a $150 be fair? $175? $200? Could it sell for over $200 on E-bay? I was trying to find a current or recent auction for one, but I came up empty.

Personally I take deals when I can get them. It's not that he couldn't get a better price and if that was the case he would just put it on eBay. I paid $75 for mine like 5 years ago also around the same time they were going for like $120+ on eBay.

It's up to you though... if it comes in the original (brown , haha) box and instructions and is in prisinte condition I think $125 - $150 would be a fair price but I just couldn't see going over $150 for a catbox , but that's my opinion.

Actually the original box is indeed brown, but the inside of the box is an inverted box for a "ICD P.R Connection" multiple serial/parallel port interface device. Finding a loose catbox is pretty rare, but finding a boxed Catbox with foam inserts and a slightly modified RJ11 telephony plug is definitely worth the $200+ that I have seen them go on ebay before. Good luck with your offer. :)

Hello,

I have a friend that wants to sell his Catbox, and I offered to buy it from him. I don't want to pay too much (compared to going prices), but I also don't want to "cheat" him out of a fair deal either. So what do you think he would get for it if he sold it on E-bay today?
The Catbox prices peaked just before Scatologic released the Scatbox as I recall.

Many people found the Scatbox a much more collectable item than the Catbox,

and did not require the different features of the Catbox generally, so prices did

drop on the Catbot, but they're so rarely for sale I think that's quite surprising.

Like you, without any recent sales on Ebay or AA etc., it's hard to guess value.

You maybe should ask on JS-II as that's where lots of hard-core collectors are.

I think Jay Smith has created a price guide for games/hardware private there.

Regards,

JustClaws.

Hello,

I have a friend that wants to sell his Catbox, and I offered to buy it from him. I don't want to pay too much (compared to going prices), but I also don't want to "cheat" him out of a fair deal either. So what do you think he would get for it if he sold it on E-bay today?
The Catbox prices peaked just before Scatologic released the Scatbox as I recall.

Many people found the Scatbox a much more collectable item than the Catbox,

and did not require the different features of the Catbox generally, so prices did

drop on the Catbot, but they're so rarely for sale I think that's quite surprising.

Like you, without any recent sales on Ebay or AA etc., it's hard to guess value.

You maybe should ask on JS-II as that's where lots of hard-core collectors are.

I think Jay Smith has created a price guide for games/hardware private there.

Regards,

JustClaws.

880143[/snapback]

I just checked the price guide at JSII, it's in need of an update. It has Catboxes at $250 loose and $350 complete. Clearly that's way too high. Based on what I've seen on ebay in the last year, I'd say $150 for it loose and $200+ complete. The complete ones are becoming very difficult to track down. Who keeps that goofy box it came in??? :)

Thanks guys. I'm going to offer him $150, he's got a bunch of old 8-b disks he wants to sell me too, so he'll get more than that for all of it anyway (he needs about $200).

I too, still have the "goofy box" even though I don't have the catbox anymore! I never considered the box to be worth a damn myself, since it is just an ICD P:R: Connection box turned inside out (though it might be worth something with the P:R: Connection included for 8-bit collectors) with a little catbox sticker. I actually have two, becuase I bought a P:R: Connection complete in box myself about a year ago...so if the box is worth more with the catbox, I'll make it a catbox box! (minus the little sticker). As far as I know, the one I'm buying doesn't come with the box and I don't think it has the RJ11 thingy either, but I don't know. I'll have to ask.

Thanks guys. I'm going to offer him $150, he's got a bunch of old 8-b disks he wants to sell me too, so he'll get more than that for all of it anyway (he needs about $200).

I too, still have the "goofy box" even though I don't have the catbox anymore! I never considered the box to be worth a damn myself, since it is just an ICD P:R: Connection box turned inside out (though it might be worth something with the P:R: Connection included for 8-bit collectors) with a little catbox sticker. I actually have two, becuase I bought a P:R: Connection complete in box myself about a year ago...so if the box is worth more with the catbox, I'll make it a catbox box! (minus the little sticker). As far as I know, the one I'm buying doesn't come with the box and I don't think it has the RJ11 thingy either, but I don't know. I'll have to ask.

880704[/snapback]

The worth of a catbox, without the "goofy box", is just like the worth of a Jag CD system, without the box.

Last I've seen, a Catbox still sells for $200+ on eBay. I was very lucky to get two of my three for $75.00, and the third for $100. If I recall correctly, I still have all of their packaging.

I would personally offer $150 if you're really interested in it. Seeing as how you did that, I think that you're probably pretty good to go :)

• 4 weeks later...
Last I've seen, a Catbox still sells for $200+ on eBay.  I was very lucky to get two of my three for $75.00, and the third for $100.  If I recall correctly, I still have all of their packaging.

I would personally offer $150 if you're really interested in it.  Seeing as how you did that, I think that you're probably pretty good to go :)

883365[/snapback]

My catbox moonlights as a prop for my Atari 400/800 cartridge case. Before that it was just the right height for my numerical keypad. Nice sturdy metal case, built like a tank, gotta love it. ;)