IGNORED

The NES "Max"

Hi, all.

Just came across a bag with some controllers in it for the NES, including two regular controllers and a light gun. Also in this bag is two NES Max controllers, which I'd forgotten about over the years.

Question to all: Are these controllers spiffy? Rare? Just too darn cute? Heh, they are rather small (but not as small as the NES regular controllers), but have a "thumb control" and turbo buttons.

God, do they feel tiny in my big hands. Must have been "just right" when I was a young'un. lol :D

Steve

its on ok controller, the turbo is nice, but the thumb pad is useless. its better to just use the outside rim as a control pad, rather than try to fiddle with the sliding thumb pad in the center

and with the nintnedo knuts on ebay, youll get a little money for official NES accessories

I really liked the MAX as a kid, but I picked one up not to long ago, and now I can't stand it.

I think that at the time, I wasn't totaly used to a traditional d-pad, since the nes was the first system I had that used one. Now, after around 20 years of using a d-pad, I can't use the MAX anymore.

Normally, I don't collect controllers. Hell, I don't collect for the NES anyway..it just came with the "stuff" I got back from this guy. Not sure what I could do with them besides attempt to sell them on Ebay..I've never sold anything on Ebay before, and I really don't want to start now.

Hmmm, if anyone's interested, I'll trade yah the two normal controllers, one light gun, and two "Max"'s for a couple of 5200 games. :roll:

Steve

My brother loves this controller, though I find it to be a piece of crap.

It's a nice novelty if you collect controllers. However, file it under "Useless" along with the Power Glove.

880174[/snapback]

PowerGlove can be adapted into a decent PC VR glove.

You want worthless, get a TurboTouch. Flakiest controller ever.

880227[/snapback]

I once finished Guerilla War with that controller. Using the MAX however, you'd be lucky to get past the first level.

It's a real shame about the MAX being so shitty. It is rather comfortable and it would have been nice to have something in a similar style but with a little thumb stick or regualr D pad

880227[/snapback]

I once finished Guerilla War with that controller. Using the MAX however, you'd be lucky to get past the first level.

It's a real shame about the MAX being so shitty. It is rather comfortable and it would have been nice to have something in a similar style but with a little thumb stick or regualr D pad

880331[/snapback]

My Turbotouch gives spurious and random directional outputs.

My brother loves this controller, though I find it to be a piece of crap.

It's a nice novelty if you collect controllers. However, file it under "Useless" along with the Power Glove.

880174[/snapback]

The NES Max is one of my favorite controllers, hands down. Like the OP said, it seems small now, but when I was younger it was the perfect size, and the grips made it so much more comfortable to hold than the blocky standard NES controllers.

880353[/snapback]

yeah ditto. On some games, namely overhead view shooters I find this to be forgiveable as I like the fluidity of control it can provide if it's in the mood to do so. I always figured the Turbo Touch was just ultra sensitive and the sporadic movements were somehow my fault.

880353[/snapback]

yeah ditto. On some games, namely overhead view shooters I find this to be forgiveable as I like the fluidity of control it can provide if it's in the mood to do so. I always figured the Turbo Touch was just ultra sensitive and the sporadic movements were somehow my fault.

880376[/snapback]

It's the technology.

They're using a capacitive sensor. Your thumb hovering over the sensors(which are under hte plastic disk) changes the capacitance of the sensors. Laptop touchpads work much the same, as I recall.

But they're using a primitive version of the technology. A little goofing around leads me to believe that it picks up your hand UNDER the pad as well as your entire thumb(as opposed to just the tip).

It HAS to pick up the hand under it, because I've had motions triggered before I set my thumb down. But never when I wasn't holding it.

I REALLY like the feel of the pad, I just can't get enough accuracy out of it to be usable(tested the SNES one on Megaman X, and kept randomly dashing into enemies and off cliffs).

Edited by JB

I used my Max back in the day for certain games. It was horrible for Zelda (kinda like using the GameCube's analog stick when playing Zelda Collection) but I liked to use it for Contra and Metroid. The turbo came in handy for those games. The only thing I didn't like were the two little nubbins behind the controller that left dents in my fingers. I think that was their sole purpose.

- Jason

I picked up an NES max at Goodwill a few years ago... tried it out and didn't like the pad too much... that and I found myself having to explain how to use it to friends that tried to use it....

As for the Turbo Touch..... I actually picked up an SNES Turbo Touch 360 a few weeks ago....again at goodwill... I tried it out with a game I hadn't tried before..Bubsy's really cool...but oh yeah, the controller seems to work pretty well for me... I can't get it to go in a direction if I'm not touching the blue pad...so maybe I'm just lucky?

Edited by SuperPsycho

See, this is the thing. I prefer a controller to feel natural the minute I put it in my hands. The Saturn and NES joypads did that. The NES Max... er, not so much. The cycloid pad is a great idea, and one that was finally done justice with the Neo-Geo Pocket, but on the Max, it's stiff and awkward.

Nintendo revolutionized the game controller, making it infinitely more responsive and comfortable than it was during the early 1980's, but they took a small step back with the NES Max. I'm just glad these substandard controllers didn't catch on with the public... I'd hate to think that we could still be using them today.

JR

Edited by Jess Ragan

See, this is the thing.  I prefer a controller to feel natural the minute I put it in my hands.  The Saturn and NES joypads did that.  The NES Max... er, not so much.  The cycloid pad is a great idea, and one that was finally done justice with the Neo-Geo Pocket, but on the Max, it's stiff and awkward. 

NGPC uses the same thumbstick device as the NeoGeo CD.

Blaze's Viper PS1 pad has such a device too. It's a tad stiff, though.

Nintendo revolutionized the game controller, making it infinitely more responsive and comfortable than it was during the early 1980's,

Irony: I hate NES pads.

but they took a small step back with the NES Max.  I'm just glad these substandard controllers didn't catch on with the public... I'd hate to think that we could still be using them today.

I kind of miss that sort of thing. Not the specific device(it really doesn't look like something I want to use), but the attitude towards 3rd-party controllers. Everyone with an idea tried it. There were flight sticks, pseudo-trackballs, free-floating mecury switch sticks, IR sensors, balance mats, VR gloves, ambidextrious sticks, and God knows what else.

Sure some of them sucked ass. Others were just badass.

Beats teh crap out of the modern-day "let's see how close we can make it to a Dualshock without getting sued" mentality.

Edited by JB