IGNORED

Missile Command Arcade

Nukey Shay

• 7 months later...
  • 5 years later...

This is excellent! Tremendous version of Missile Command! Though there seems to be a bug where only the centre pixels of the explosions count and if only the side pixels hit the enemy missiles or bombers, they don't hit them... I haven't seen the smartbombs yet but I'm sure they'll be pretty accurate too!

Oh and is there any reason the crosshair looks asymmetrical instead of just an x?

I reached a bit further now and a thing that bugs me is how the last bomber and your own missile disappear as soon as the last missile's gone so my missile can't hit the bomber to get that bonus. I'd kinda prefer the original yellowish arcade colourings if the colours won't change but I see you chose to go with the original 2600 colouring.

Edited by Tangentg

• 1 year later...

Wow this is great. I have a friend seriously addicted to Missile Command on the Flashback Portable. We even have a contest going on right now between her, myself, and others in our group of friends.

So Nukey, here is a question for you:

Is it possible to configure the firing of the silos to other buttons on the flashback portable like the left and right difficulty switches and other unassigned buttons?

• Like 1

All buttons are assigned (the difficulty switch makes your missiles slower). But since the 2nd player is not usable and the AFP has a pause function built-in, I could remap the triggers. I think I'd use the T, A, and R buttons...a close little group. If only it wasn't for those stupid onscreen captions :P

• Like 1

This is really nice. It's like a "version 2". Ohh it's the same Missile Command game we all know and love alright. But it's like an official upgrade. I read this thread years ago and put it on my list. And first now I'm getting around to playing.

It's the 1970's all over again. It's freezing cold and snowy out and we're all cozied up doing hobby stuff today. A free-for-all lazy do-nothing day!

• Like 1

Weird...the portable does not like VBLANK being removed here (that's how the display got cut short). Original code restored.

Crosshair and Left cache positioning "fixed" (according to the portable's goofy rules).

Scanline bounce during tally screen corrected.

2-player games are playable...but both players use the left difficulty switch for missile speed.

Think I ought to move the side missile cache displays toward the center of the screen so those captions don't cover them?

Missile_command_arcade(portable_v2).bin

Here's the caches moved more to the center (enemy missiles still need to hit the actual hilltops to wipe out a cache). The removal of game pause and palette switch code (irrelevant to AFP) provided enough space to remove the cache flicker too. There's a shake that sometimes appears when a bomber is onscreen, tho. Not sure where it's coming from, but I may leave it in ;)

Missile_command_arcade(portable_v3).bin

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wonder if anyone would be willing to do the trackball hack on the left controller, like they did with the other trackball games for the 2600 (centipede, missile command, star wars arcade, etc.)? That would be even more awesome.

Here's the caches moved more to the center (enemy missiles still need to hit the actual hilltops to wipe out a cache). The removal of game pause and palette switch code (irrelevant to AFP) provided enough space to remove the cache flicker too. There's a shake that sometimes appears when a bomber is onscreen, tho. Not sure where it's coming from, but I may leave it in ;)

This is badass! Love playing this on the FBP. Thanks Nukey :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey guys.

Is there a functional final version of this for Stella? When I download the main link in the first post, I get a non-functional version of the original game. If I download the portable version, it looks great. But only the middle cannon works.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
On 5/14/2021 at 7:26 PM, KEWROCK said:

Hey guys.

Is there a functional final version of this for Stella? When I download the main link in the first post, I get a non-functional version of the original game. If I download the portable version, it looks great. But only the middle cannon works.

Thanks.

did you use the first link:

I compiled the source code and it looks like the non Track & Field version (TF = 0 ) doesn't work correctly. I can't fire from the right base (tested on stella and on my 2600 PAL hardware with PlusCart)

4 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I compiled the source code and it looks like the non Track & Field version (TF = 0 ) doesn't work correctly. I can't fire from the right base (tested on stella and on my 2600 PAL hardware with PlusCart)

I guess it went unnoticed as the TF version also works with a joystick and so the non-TF version didn't get much testing.

Remove the "lsr" at line 716, and replace the value #$07 with #$0e in the 2 following instructions.

lda    SWCHA                   ;4
 ;     lsr                            ;2    removed
       and    #$0e                    ;2    was "and #$07"
       eor    #$0e                    ;2    was "eor #$07"
       bne    LF270                   ;2³

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, alex_79 said:

Remove the "lsr" at line 716, and replace the value #$07 with #$0e in the 2 following instructions.

;     lsr                            ;2    removed
       and    #$0e                    ;2    was "and #$07"
       eor    #$0e                    ;2    was "eor #$07"

I had copied the TF branch and removed the "rol INPT5" then I realized that the remaining "lsr" and "rol" are not necessary and I ended up with this code for the non TF version:

and    #$0F                    ;2
       eor    #$0F                    ;2

this version seems to work too. Using #$0F instead of #$0E means up and down of the right joystick will fire from the middle base..

On 9/22/2021 at 5:54 PM, alex_79 said:

I guess it went unnoticed as the TF version also works with a joystick and so the non-TF version didn't get much testing.

Yes, I think the non-TF version is not necessary (or only if you really need these 4 bytes for a new feature).

@alex_79 I can share the ROMs with you via the PlusStore, so you can test on your PlusCart. Just send me a PM if you like to.

ZeroPage Homebrew is broadcasting a tribute stream to the legacy of Nukey Shay / Kurt Howe and playing Missile Command Arcade and more of his amazing hacks on tomorrow's (Tue Sep 28, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day. I hope you'll be able to join us in remembering Kurt and his incredible contributions to the homebrew community!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

R.I.P. Nukey Shay.  This Missile Command deluxe hack is AMAZING!!  

For those who have the track ball, the Track and Field 3-button controller and the graphical overlay, it must be sublime!  

IMG_320x240.jpg.4391a3d9c8b73eddaf9aca93c35909ac.jpg  controlleroverlay_320x169.jpg.47f8b91d2f17c7cffe08dc556c832dc8.jpg

Respectfully, I ask a question.  

Could we possibly have a version of Missile Command for Atari 2600 that is "the best of both worlds?"  Keep some of the enhancements of this version such as the graphical improvements, the Bombers, the Killer Satellites, "X" crosshairs and the ABM's remaining and cities remaining graphics at the end of each level?  And yet could we possibly go back to having only one missile base so the game could be played with one joystick?  

UPDATE: Or could there be an option to let the game program automatically choose the nearest available missile base when you fire?  (Set fire control to AUTO.)  That way, all you would need to do is to aim the cursor and then the game could be played with one joystick.  But if you want to use two joysticks, or if you have the Track & Field controller, then set fire control to MANUAL and go at it just like in the arcade!    

Edited by Living Room Arcade