IGNORED

Where Did you go from Atari 2600???

brianwolters

First of all, I have absolutely 0 interest in modern console gaming whatsoever. My 1st console was the 2600, then went onto the ColecoVision, to the Intellivision, Atari 400, then finally to the 7800. I do however enjoy old PC DOS 1st person shooters and Sierra Adventure gaming titles, like the Quest series. Modern games just don't have the charm the old ones do.

• Like 2

I did 2600 -> Vectrex -> Commodore 64 (if that counts) -> 7800 -> Dreamcast -> Wii

I don't count all the systems I have since acquired (O2, Coleco) and really I only bought the Vectrex because the system was $50 and all the games were $5 when the crash happened.

Edited by godzillajoe

My parents had a VIC-20 when I was very young, but it packed up before I was old enough to fully remember it. For Christmas 1991, we got an Atari 2600 with the 32-in-1 cartridge, but none of us really took to it because we longed for games that had more depth and most of the video game stores had stopped selling 2600 games. Later that year, we upgraded to a Sega Mega Drive and never looked back.

I always thought of the VIC-20 as a lost experience and, many years later, the internet gave me the opportunity to do something about it and since then I've managed to acquire pretty much every system in the mainstream market. The great thing about the retro scene is that you can revisit old systems you didn't get when you were younger and see what you were missing

Edited by English Invader

My parents had a VIC-20 when I was very young, but it packed up before I was old enough to fully remember it. For Christmas 1991, we got an Atari 2600 with the 32-in-1 cartridge, but none of us really took to it because we longed for games that had more depth and most of the video game stores had stopped selling 2600 games. Later that year, we upgraded to a Sega Mega Drive and never looked back.

I always thought of the VIC-20 as a lost experience and, many years later, the internet gave me the opportunity to do something about it and since then I've managed to acquire pretty much every system in the mainstream market. The great thing about the retro scene is that you can revisit old systems you didn't get when you were younger and see what you were missing.

1979: Coleco's Electronic Quarterback

1980: Atari 2600 (Space Invaders killer app)

1980-present: coin-ops (in arcades)

1981: TI-99/4A

1982: Colecovision (launch)

1983/84: Vectrex

1984: Tandy 1000

1988-present: various gaming PCs, all scratch built

1993: Atari 5200 (thrift shop)

1994: Atari 7800 (internet)

1995: Atari Jaguar

1996: BurgerTime (purchased coin-op)

2004: GBA SP

2005: DS, Atari Lynx

2006: PS2

2008: X360

2010: Wii

2011: PS3

2012: Wii U, original Xbox

2013: PS4, Xbox One, 3DS XL

plus various dedicated pong clones and handhelds over the years, smartphone & iPad gaming

Atari 2600 in 1979 -- Colecovision in 1983 -- NES 1987 and it went on from there! Most exciting moments were when my mom bought that 2600 for my brothers and me, when I bought the NES (I drove 150 miles twice to get that one), and when I bought a Sega Dreamcast on release day (was that 1999?), it blew me away! It seems kindo of dull now, but transfering the Chao back and forth between the VMU and the console back then to play mini Tomagachi style games was mystifying! And as Christmas drew near, the overworld in Sonic Adventure changed; there were Christmas trees and Christmas music, and I believe it was all delivered through the built in modem. Overall the Atari 2600 and the used 5200 I bought later on are still two of my favorite systems!

Order of events:

Got Atari 2600 in 1980 or '81. Got a TI-99 in about 1982.

Had both till I moved to Auburn, WA in 1987.

It was there that I bought an NES.

Had that for 3 years. Then I bought a Genesis.

Moved back to my folks' in Portland in 1991.

Kept the Genny till about 1993 or so, then I got the Sega CD.

Had that and bought the PS1 in 1997 or so, with Final Fantasy VII.

Bought the PS2 in about 2006.

Bought my arcade machines over a 2 year span or so from around 2006 to 2008: Phoenix, Dig Dug and NEO GEO.

Got the PS3 about 2 years ago or so. Still got it.

My Dates are kind of fuzzy.. After buying an SNES I stopped buying any consoles They just didn't interest me like computers did.

1977 - Coleco Telstar Ranger

1980 - Atari 2600 USA Sixer

1982 - Commodore Vic-20

1983 - Commodore C-64

1986 - Commodore C-128

1987 - Father's Kaypro II DOS

1998 - Atari 2600 Jr

1990 - A used NES and a bunch of cartridges at a garage sale -cheap!

1991 - SNES

1992 - fathers 286 DOS

1995 - AMD DX-4-100 with Windows 3.1

1996 - Cyrix 6x86 166 "Performance Rating" (more like 133 mhz) and Windows 95

1997 - AMD K-6 300

1998 - AMD K6-2 450 and Windows 98

2000 - AMD Athlon 750

2002 - AMD Athlon T-bird 1200 and Windows 2000

2004 - AMD Athlon XP 2400 and Windows XP

2006 - AMD Athlon XP 3000

2010 - AMD Phenom II X4 965 and Windows 7 Pro

Edited by WildBillTX

2600 was first in 1980. College, first job. Still played 2600 time to time. Next console was N64 at about 2000. At about 2004, started playing 2600 and Super Mario with my first son. That and several large lots of games at garage sales got me hooked on gaming/collecting. Now my kids have 360's and PS3's so I just console myself with the 2600......and the CV, and the Inty, and the Veccy, and my NES, and my MS, and my.....well you get the idea.

P.S. Wife is exceptionally forgiving at my 50 plus console collection.

While they were (reasonably) new, I had the Atari 2600, TI-99/4A, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Playstation 1 and Playstation 2. I had an Xbox 360, which I mostly used to play Dragon Age: Origins, but I sold that for rent money. I've picked up and passed on numerous classic gaming consoles since then: Intellivision, ColecoVision, Odyssey 2, an Atari Stunt Cycle console with the motorcycle handlebar controller, several pong consoles, an Atari Touch Me handheld "Simon" clone, and a triangle-shaped unit from Coleco that I believe had pong paddles, a steering wheel, and a light gun on the sides. Always wanted a Fairchild Channel F--I always thought the 8-track-looking cartridges with Sesame Street-like numbers and the one-handed controllers were very cool-looking... but never found one in the wild.

Nowadays, I do most of my video gaming through emulators on my laptop, as my apartment's way too small for a collection... *sigh*

I had a 2600 as a kid in the 80s we had 6 games, my neighbor had a coleco with some cool games...

I got so bored watching my friends always play NES mario & zelda they would never give up the controlers

I ended up playing guitar, playing in a band, restoring old cars, and a million other hobbies I have had.

I have not played a video game in 20 some years, I found the old atari last week, I got it working again

Its still pretty cool after all these years, I'm not a die hard gamer but I can play those old games for a while

and not get bored, some games look so simple but can be just as frustrating as a new complicated system.

-Jason

Mattell handhelds -> Atari VCS -> Atari 800 -> NES -> TG16 -> SNES -> Sega Saturn -> N64 -> nothing / Lynx 2 / GBC / GBA / PC -> PS2 -> XBox 360

I was really disenchanted with gaming during the Saturn through PS2 in my timeline, which pretty much went from 1993ish to 2010ish. 17ish years having no games that really pulled me in.

Content Favorites: A8, SNES, XBox 360

Had the most fun with: SNES

Edited by Ripdubski

• 3 months later...

Most of the people who contributed to the first 3 pages or so, of this thread, did so... TWELVE YEARS AGO!

If you were early 30s then... ;)

Anyway, I rarely venture out of the Jaguar forum tbh, but fancied a wander and ended up here!

FIRST ever console was the 2600Jr. I was aged 5 or 6. I can't precisely remember which. I had a good selection of titles for it: Centipede, Moon Patrol, Dark Chambers, Galaxian, Midnight Magic, Dig Dug, Solaris, Radar Lock, Pole Position and maybe a few more I can't remember off hand. I don't actually remember what became of my 2600, however...

My SECOND games machine (re: where did you go from Atari), for whatever reason, was a C64. Truthfully, even as a child, I was not at all taken with the C64 at all. I did, however, really like the cartridge releases at that time. My C64 came with a 4 game multi-cart and I also acquired many of the other cart titles too (SOTBeast, Robocop 2 etc). Later, I was offered a one for one exchange of my C64 for what would be...

My THIRD games console: The SEGA Mastersystem. For me, this was finally, a step in the right direction for me re: progressing from the 2600 onwards. I thought it was pretty sensational and enjoyed the likes of Shinobi, RType, Alex Kidd and eventually Sonic too, amongst other great games.

I have been a dedicated console gamer ever since and even ended up owning the Jaguar back in 93 or 94 too, tentatively* ending my string of modern console acquisitions with the PS3 in '09. I won't bore you with the bits in between, but its pretty safe to assume, I have, at some point, pretty much owned all of the usual suspects :)

* all it takes is for Nintendo to release that one killer, 1st party, non-Mario based/related WiiU game...

It all began back in 1979, when we took over an Philips (Magnavox) Pong machine from our cousins, from then...

1981 - My first Game & Watch game "Parachute", there would be MANY more of those added to my collection, during the 80:s and early 90:s

1982 - Atari 2600 (Darth Vader model)

1987 - Atari 130 XE

1988 - NES

1989 - C64

1990 - Gameboy and Master System

1991 - Atari ST and LYNX

1992 - Amiga 500, Game Gear and SNES

1993 - Mega Drive (Genesis)

1995 - PC and PS1

1998 - N64

2000 - Dreamcast

2001 - Gameboy Advance and PS2

2003 - Gamecube

2005 - Nintendo DS

2006 - Xbox 360, PSP

2007 - PS3, Wii and Vectrex (FINALLY!!)

2009 - My first JAMMA arcade cabinet

2010 - Turbo Out-Run, Super Hang-On, Operation Thunderbolt and Virtua Fighter dedicated arcademachines

2011 - Nintendo 3DS

2013 - Wii U and PS4

2014 - Atari 2600 Jr with composite mod :)

Also a whole bunch of LED and LCD handhelds and tabletops, but that would take forever to list ;)

Edited by Steel76
  • Like 1