IGNORED

WANTED: How to Beat Home Video Games (VHS-1983)

Vince4587

I am desperately seeking these videos (3 in all) that were put out by Vestron Video in 1983 and represent one of the true gems of my childhood. I was able to find V2 on E-Bay about 6 months ago and quickly converted it to DVD and I am now searching out the other 2. I would be happy to purchase them and even provide a DVD copy of each volume in return. My avatar is a picture of the box for V2. If anyone can help, please PM me. Thanks.

post-7217-1120017413_thumb.jpg

How far away from Seattle are you?

Maybe a roadtrip to Scarecrow video? :P

They have V1 for rent, but they don't rent online.. You have to put a deposit down on it to rent though, in case anything happens to it. Some videos are as high as $1000 I thought that was interesting. Keeps people honest though!

I did a quick search online for these in most of the used movie shops, found listings but all out of stocks, nothing selling right now. These do seem to be quite rare. I'd like to have all three on DVD, maybe someone can help in this? Maybe loan out even if there in someone's collection..

I am desperately seeking these videos (3 in all) that were put out by Vestron Video in 1983 and represent one of the true gems of my childhood. I was able to find V2 on E-Bay about 6 months ago and quickly converted it to DVD and I am now searching out the other 2. I would be happy to purchase them and even provide a DVD copy of each volume in return. My avatar is a picture of the box for V2. If anyone can help, please PM me. Thanks.

882732[/snapback]

I think if you wait a bit, all 3 (4?) mybe available on DVD.

.....At least that is what a little bird told me :)

-Lee

882732[/snapback]

I think if you wait a bit, all 3 (4?) mybe available on DVD.

.....At least that is what a little bird told me :)

-Lee

882973[/snapback]

it's 3!

"little" :ponder: :D

Rick

Oh I got those from my local library not more than a year ago. I was supposed to copy it but never got around to it.. then they were overdue. I'll check if they still have them.

882974[/snapback]

Hey if you can, let me know. Thanks to everyone so far. You have all been helpful and I am happy knowing that someone here will come through for me.

Joseph

I just wanted to give an update that I was able to get Volume 1 from trnsfrguy who posts to this forum...great guy by the way. That leaves volume 3 to go. If ANYONE can help me with this, I will be most indebted to you. Also, keep in mind that I wll be making DVD copies available to those who want it once I get the full set. So please, if you can help, reply here. Thanks.

Joseph

Also, keep in mind that I wll be making DVD copies available to those who want it once I get the full set. So please, if you can help, reply here. Thanks.

Joseph

887174[/snapback]

Will you be freely giving away those DVD copies, or is there a charge associated with them?

Edited by MrRetroGamer

Also, keep in mind that I wll be making DVD copies available to those who want it once I get the full set. So please, if you can help, reply here. Thanks.

Joseph

887174[/snapback]

Will you be freely giving away those DVD copies, or is there a charge associated with them? :roll:

887230[/snapback]

There will be a nominal charge for the cost of the media and the shipping. Otherwise, no.

Joseph

Just wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I am a TV producer/editor and so have the gear that might be necessary to do any "restoration" work on these old videos if you get a particularly ratty copy. It's amazing how much original picture quality you can get back from a 20 year old VHS with the right equipment.

I do have several tutorial videos from the NES era. I found them at a video store that was blowing them out for a few cents. I keep thinking I should pop those onto DVD, but I'm WAY more interested in these older videos that you guys are tlaking about. I've been looking for these titles for years.

OK, I just finished capturing all 3 tapes from the originals I have. The hardest part was getting my VCR out of the entertainment center cabinet without disrupting the rest of my AV setup! I have already finished authoring the first 2 DVDs and I am working on Vol III as I type this. Vol III is pretty cool because it contains Atari 5200, Colecovision and VECTREX, whereas Vol I and Vol II are exclusively Atari 2600 games, although third party manufacturers are represented pretty well.

Each volume will be on it's own DVD to ensure maximum quality. The quality of the video is as good as you can get from an analog capture of a 23 year old VHS tape. As I said, these are made from the original VHS tapes, not tape to tape copies. Each DVD will have a thumbnail menu that you can use jump to any of the games that are indexed, about 20 per video. At this point, I do not plan on any fancy DVD case or artwork on the discs to keep costs down.

Let's face it - these videos are pretty cheesy, low budget productions - however they are still interesting to watch. Definitely a must see for the Atari collectors here! :P

PM for additional details - I estimate I can start shipping these early next week to those that are interested and can do paypal.

Edited by MrRetroGamer

Actually... I was going to have these at CGE, dirtcheap (around $8). The video quality is good but not fantastic (they are *old* tapes and were definitely low budget rip-off productions back then, still fun to watch though) :)

Rick/Lee were so nice pointing me to this thread to let you guys know.

So: if you want hi-end quality with the best possible picture quality on 3 DVDs go with Mr. Retro's set, it sounds like that will be really nice. If you want the decent quality DVDs (all 3 vids on one DVD), buy them at CGE from me. $8 for the DVD with case and color cover (see attached).

Cheers,

-CyRo

post-1232-1121149671_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

-CyRo

890201[/snapback]

Jeez, I haven't seen you in ages. :-o

890202[/snapback]

Yeah :(

My dayjob has been kicking my butt (I was looking for a butt-icon but I guess there is none)

:skull:

Funny thing is: this DVD was ready about a month ago and now suddenly it pops up here. Classic gaming works in mysterious ways :)

Just a quick update, I shipped a few sets of DVDs out today to all those who were interested. First Class mail should take a few days, and international AIRMAIL is usually about 7 - 10 days. I expect to have more DVDs ready to ship out later this week for any interested parties, so do contact me if you are interested to get payment details.

Anyone lucky enough to be going to CGE can of course pick up the one that cyro mentioned he will have available for sale directly at the show. Or you can order the 3 DVD set from me shipped to anywhere in the USA and Canada. International AtariAge members should note that AIRMAIL shipping will be about $3 more to most locations outside of the US and Canada.

Edited by MrRetroGamer

I just got mine from MrRetrogamer today. The menu system works great, the quality is excellent, and yes, the DVD does work in a PS2. Good job!

Outside of this three VHS set, were there any other videos along these lines from that era that people are aware of?

I just got mine from MrRetrogamer today.  The menu system works great, the quality is excellent, and yes, the DVD does work in a PS2.  Good job!

Outside of this three VHS set, were there any other videos along these lines from that era that people are aware of?

892500[/snapback]

Thanks for the great comments! I hope everyone enjoys their sets! I don't know of any other titles like this one from that era. There is another interesting 2 VHS set called Stella at 20, and I know that many people do not have Vol 2.

Anyway, here are a few screen grabs from How to Beat Home Video Games:

post-41-1121562363_thumb.jpg

post-41-1121562369_thumb.jpg

post-41-1121562374_thumb.jpg

post-41-1121562379_thumb.jpg

post-41-1121562385_thumb.jpg

post-41-1121562389_thumb.jpg

post-41-1121562396_thumb.jpg

post-41-1121562401_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrRetroGamer