IGNORED

Radica Space Invaders > 7800 joystick

remowilliams

Here are the pics of the 7800 themed decals I made. The first one I tried to copy the metal plate. However, the image looks a little off with orange buttons and joystick. I like the second one better that just has the rainbow and text. Let me know if anyone has any ideas to improve these. Also, how do I attach a file to this thread? I wanted to post the actual template acrobat file but not sure how to do it. Thanks

IMG_1861-1-1.jpg

IMG_1864-1-1.jpg

Edited by H311bender
  • Like 1

I finally figured out a 7800 themed layout that looks sleek. I made the Atari logo and text smaller and added an orange outer edge which ties everything together. Here's a few pics of it.

I tried to figure out how to attach the pdf file to this thread but I have given up. Please PM me with your email address and I will email it to you.

The following is the cheap way to make the label instead of paying to have it professionally printed.

Materials Needed:

• Sharpie Pen
  • Laminating Sheet
  • Photo Paper
  • Mod Podge (glue)
  • X-acto knife

Directions:

1. Print out the decal on photo paper.
  2. Apply a laminating sheet by starting at one end and slowly apply it moving your finger back and forth to avoid air bubbles. If you get any air bubbles start the entire process over because your decal is already screwed.
  3. Once the laminating sheet has been applied you will see areas that look hazy. You need to rub this down until this disappers. I use the edge of a credit card.
  4. Next very carefully cut out the excess white border. Cut along the outer black edge, not the orange edge.
  5. Once its cut out take a Sharpie pen and color the edge of the decal to get ride of the white.
  6. Now you need to apply the label to your RSI. Make sure the old decal is completely removed and the RSI has a dry clean surface. I use Mod Podge to glue it down which you can get at Hobby Lobby or other craft stores.
  7. Using a popsicle stick apply a thin layer of glue to the entire back of the decal.
  8. Now apply the decal to your RSI. Once you have it positioned correctly use your finger and rub the decal to make sure it is making contact all over. Try to remove any excess glue around the outer edges. Also rub off any glue you may have gotten on your label when applying.
  9. Let it dry completely. This will take a few hours.
  10. Once dry take a sharp x-acto knife and cut out the 4 button holes.
  11. Next you need to cutout the joystick hole. Try to cut as close to the outer edge of the whole as possible. You don't need to get it perfect since you can trim it up after you cut out the main piece. Once you have the piece cut out use your x-acto knife to cut the label right up to the outer edge. Now take your Sharpie pen and color the white exposed edges.
  12. That's pretty much it.

IMG_1890-1.jpg

AtariRSIDecal1200.jpg

Edited by H311bender
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

• 3 years later...

Late to the game. I did a Radica Space Invaders mod last night. Confirmed, 680 Ohm resistors worked just fine. Used a Sega extension cable instead of using a donor cable from the CX24. I just cannot bring myself to destroy vintage, albeit not-well-designed controllers. The Sega cable pinouts/wire colors are different than the Atari cables, but I figured it out with the help of an ohmmeter and a 7800 controller pinout diagram. Overall, happy with how it turned out. Took way too long, figuring out the colors/pins for the Sega extension cable, but well worth it. Gave me a project to do. It worked first time using instructions here in this thread. Thanks. I am going to do another, it will take me less than half the time now that I have done one.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Question: has anyone tried to convert the Radica Golden Tee controller? Would be perfect for Centipede...

I've been looking for one at thrift stores for quite awhile. I used to see them regularly...until I started looking for one.

Last one I saw was new in box for $15. I'm looking for something closer to $5-6 to hack up.

I'm guessing there's a fairly good chance that the Golden Tee controller will supply quadrature encoded motion signals at some point in the circuitry. I doubt there a much cheaper way to detect the motion of the ball. Since it's a smooth, featureless, uniform color, I assume they don't have an optical mouse style camera pointed at the ball. I expect the motion detection will be electromechanical.

Will post somewhere on AA if I ever find one to hack up.

I've had two of those Golden Tee trackball deals and have been disappointed with the action in both. The ball doesn't roll smoothly/quickly at all. As if there's too much friction. Last one I tried was brand new even, so it's not even a matter of them being dirty or needing lubrication it seems. The old Atari Trakball's are much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for all the info this thread! I am just putting my 7800 RSI back together now. I initially rewired it as a SMS RSI, using it on my Sega Master System and 5200 Master Play clone.

I currently have it torn apart to add in 7800 support and apply one of the nice labels that H311 uploaded! I decided to test fit a couple of 24mm seimitsu buttons that I had left over from another project.

Just opened the holes up a little bit to 24mm and dropped them in. At their deepest, they are just about even with the base of the joystick (the actual joystick gate, not the bottom of the controller) and pose no interference... I think I need to order a set of four in orange.

post-46945-0-91914800-1467496034_thumb.jpg

post-46945-0-91914800-1467496034_thumb.jpg

Edited by deltronik
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have templates for the replacement decals like in the above post? Or does anyone have the ability to make some with the 7800 Proline logo or even Pacman ? I have a couple of these and wanna get them looking great :)

EDIT : Found the links in the above thread :)

Edited by bradd1978

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I too am late to the game but I got one mostly working.  I've tested it on a 7800 using a 7800 Asteroids.  Both sets of buttons are working just fine in 7800 mode.  However, when I slap in 2600 games, none of the buttons are working.  This one really has me puzzled since that part of the process seems to be quite simple.  Just tie all the blue cables from the 4 buttons together and hook it up to the wire that goes to Pin 6.  I've confirmed via multi meter that those tied together wires are indeed going to Pin 6. 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 6:41 PM, phlegmer said:

I've tested it on a 7800 using a 7800 Asteroids.  Both sets of buttons are working just fine in 7800 mode.  However, when I slap in 2600 games, none of the buttons are working. 

Update!

Figure out what the problem was.  I had ordered 620 ohm resistors off of ebay since I didn't have that flavor in my resistor stash.  Well, to make a long story short, the dude that sent me the resistors weren't 620 ohms.  They were actually 620K ohms!  I didn't realize this at the time of installing, but after banging my head on the wall trying to figure out why this semi-simple process is eluding me, I looked a little closer at the hand written label that came with the resistors....620K.  Checked with ohm meter...confirmed.

The closest thing I had on hand was 220 ohm.  Give that a go and BAM, all is working.

So pleased that project is finally done.  Now to print out a sweet label to slap on!

• Like 5