IGNORED

Sky Skipper not on MAME

Scott Stilphen

Sky skipper - that was the prototype for Donkey Kong wasn't it. I've had a look around, it only exists as a proto rom and not, unfortunately, in the public domain - I hope it's not owned by anyone from Nintendo, or it'll never reach the emulation community.

The Parker Brothers game is a port of the Nintendo game - note that it has PB's "Arcade Game Series" logo on it, and catalog entries (as well as the packaging) credit Nintendo Of America. Although PB's footnotes often list a ©1982 NoA date, I'm pretty sure that this game was made in 1981.

I saw someone else refer to this as a Donkey Kong "prototype", though I'm not sure what this means as it is nothing like Donkey Kong

. Maybe this was a limited-release game that, like Radarscope, was converted to Donkey Kong?

I'm curious to see what this game looks like. Early PB catalogs show a different screen arrangement, depicting the game as a horizontally-scrolling maze. I'm guessing this is how the arcade version is. According to KLOV, the game only has 2 mazes, just like the 2600 version.

Huh, I didn't even know Sky Skipper was derived from an (unreleased) arcade game, much less one created by Nintendo. Unfortunately, if it hasn't surfaced already I wouldn't hold out much hope of it ever showing up. Although, since Parker Brothers programmed 2600 version, they must have had access to the arcade game. I bet Nintendo was pretty good about getting back all loaned materials, unlike other companies we know and love (*cough*Atari*cough*).

As for released arcade games, are there that many that either haven't been dumped or don't yet work in MAME?

..Al

I never saw a Sky Skipper machine before, but until now I had no idea just how obscure this game really is. I did come across a site about "unMAMEd games - http://unmamed.unemulated.com/ - but it's down.

There is a letter at the Classic Gaming site from someone who claims to have worked at Nintendo of America years ago, and said they had one in their break room.

A list of arcade prototypes on this site lists Sky Skipper as the only Nintendo title, and simply says "prototype for Donkey Kong, 1981".

This article%20on%20the%20history%20of%20Nintendo%20confirms%20that%20this%20game%20was%20before%20Donkey%20Kong.%20%20According%20to%20them,%20Nintendo%20had%20produced%20a%20few%20arcade%20games%20(starting%20in%201980)%20before%20Donkey%20Kong-%20Helifire,%20Sheriff,%20Sky%20Skipper,%20and%20Radarscope%20(which%20later%20was%20converted%20to%20Donkey%20Kong).%20%20Here's%20another%20"history" target="_blank">article. Spies has a list of arcade games with release dates, though they list Sky Skipper after Donkey Kong, so I'm not sure if these are 100% correct.

It seems the only reason Parker Brothers did a home version was due to a deal they struck with Nintendo in order to get the home rights for Popeye.

I emailed Videotopia for any info. If I find out anything else I'll post it here.

• 3 weeks later...