IGNORED

Hunchy II

cd-w

Hi Folks,

While the G8 protests are raging outside here, I have been staying indoors working on an enhanced version of Hunchy. The game has now changed so much that I am calling this version Hunchy II, and keeping the old version as a mini-game.

I wanted to get away from the purely linear behaviour (running from one side to the other) of the original, and so the objective now is to collect the bells which are scattered around the screen. There are also ladders and platforms now, and the guards can chase after you. The basic gameplay is inspired by "Chuckie Egg" which is one of my favourite 8-bit games.

post-6563-1120572229_thumb.jpg

There is still a lot to do, but the attached version shows the display kernel for a single level of the game. The main problems at the moment are a few graphical glitches, and a serious shortage of memory. If the background turns white, or the screen flickers, then please let me know! The current level is just to demonstrate the main kernel features - the actual game levels will be more interesting. Any suggestions for improvements will be welcome.

As usual, the source code is included, though it is a bit of a mess at the moment. Let me know what you think. I will be posting regular updates to this thread.

Chris

PLEASE NOTE: The latest version of Hunchy II can be found HERE!

h2v01.zip

Edited by cd-w

While the G8 protests are raging outside here, I have been staying indoors working on an enhanced version of Hunchy.  The game has now changed so much that I am calling this version Hunchy II, and keeping the old version as a mini-game.

886186[/snapback]

Um, wow. This is playable already! You work fast!

The spearman is like the robots in ye olde fashioned Robots (aka Doctor Who vs. The Daleks) game, right? You just have to get him trapped behind a wall, because you can't jump over him or otherwise pass him by?

Thanks for all the positive feedback! I have attached the latest version of Hunchy II to this message. There are now 4 levels which can be changed by the SELECT switch (or by collecting all the Bells on a level). Let me know what you think, in particular:

1) Are the levels too easy/hard?

2) Is the gameplay too repetitive?

3) Do the controls feel OK?

post-6563-1120721857_thumb.jpg

Also, let me know if you have any other suggestions for improvements or find any bugs/glitches.

Enjoy!

Chris

h2v02.zip

Edited by cd-w

great demo level.It looks a little bit like Miner 2049.Hope to see more soon. greetings Gambler172 :)

886367[/snapback]

Thanks - it was certainly inspired in-part by Miner 2049, but hopefully the controls are more responsive, and I have managed to avoid flickering the sprites. I hope you enjoy the latest version.

Yeah, I noticed a tinge of Jumpman myself, in the boards, though the characters felt more like Miner... very cool start!

886458[/snapback]

I haven't actually played Jumpman - is there a version for the 2600?

Um, wow. This is playable already! You work fast!

The spearman is like the robots in ye olde fashioned Robots (aka Doctor Who vs. The Daleks) game, right? You just have to get him trapped behind a wall, because you can't jump over him or otherwise pass him by?

886553[/snapback]

Yes, there isn't any way to kill the guards. The best method of avoidance is probably to make him fall down a hole. You can also move fast up ladders by holding up and jump together to allow you to gain some distance.

I liked hunchy and I especially like hunchy II. You have that magical ability to make a game fun to matter how simple it is. good work!!

886576[/snapback]

Thanks - the simple ideas are usually the best in my experience!

Chris

Edited by cd-w

The first screen took me about 5 attempts, but I'd done it before.

The second screen took me about 20 attempts and I only cursed a couple of times.

The third screen was intriguing. I guess it's late here, but :dunce: haven't figured it out at all. I will try again tomorrow.

I refused to try the fourth screen by cheating. :-)

I think the controls are good. My suggestion (Everyone else turn away) sotto voce: could you make it so you get a pixel or two nudge (or extra if you're already doing that) onto the ladders going up and down? I've always had an issue with getting on the ladders in platform games. :-)

The gameplay is not too repetitive. I think what it really needs are a bunch o' levels. That's what would seperate it from the pack. Go for a big ROM. Here's your chance. I think 20 minimum. It's OK if the first 5 or so are easier. It could ramp up. OK with that many levels, maybe someone complaints about it being repetitive. I suppose you could work on the changing up the graphics a bit, special objects. Also, I've always loved powerups. The basics, speed, invincibility etc and then some others like super jump, flying hunchy, bouncy hunchy, hunchy with an afro. You know...

I have to say it, I am annoyed by the walking sound, but I do like the classic glissando as you fall.

Edited by djmips

The first screen took me about 5 attempts, but I'd done it before.

The second screen took me about 20 attempts and I only cursed a couple of times.

The third screen was intriguing. I guess it's late here, but :dunce: haven't figured it out at all. I will try again tomorrow.

I refused to try the fourth screen by cheating. :-)

I think the controls are good. My suggestion (Everyone else turn away) sotto voce: could you make it so you get a pixel or two nudge (or extra if you're already doing that) onto the ladders going up and down? I've always had an issue with getting on the ladders in platform games. :-)

The gameplay is not too repetitive. I think what it really needs are a bunch o' levels. That's what would seperate it from the pack. Go for a big ROM. Here's your chance. I think 20 minimum. It's OK if the first 5 or so are easier. It could ramp up. OK with that many levels, maybe someone complaints about it being repetitive. I suppose you could work on the changing up the graphics a bit, special objects. Also, I've always loved powerups. The basics, speed, invincibility etc and then some others like super jump, flying hunchy, bouncy hunchy, hunchy with an afro. You know...

I have to say it, I am annoyed by the walking sound, but I do like the classic glissando as you fall.

887453[/snapback]

Thanks for the feedback - I haven't actually completed all the levels myself yet without cheating! I was planning to give the player a limited number of lives, but perhaps I should revert to the infinite lives of the original? I'm not quite sure what you mean by a nudge onto the ladders. Do you mean that you should be put on the ladder if you miss it by a few pixels?

I am currently aiming for a 4K ROM size, so I was planning around 8 screens, with a few different combinations of bells/missiles/guards for each. I may go for an 8K ROM at some point if things get tight though. The levels are deliberately copied into the memory which will allow changes to the game area in later versions, e.g. disappearing blocks, moving platforms, etc. I don't think I have enough sprites left for powerups without flickering, but I will keep it in mind. Also, the annoying sound effects will be improved in a later version!

Cheers,

Chris

I like it. There's a little feel of Miner 2049er in it, but with none of the frustrating controls, bad collision detection, or annoying music. :)

This shows a lot of promise. I like the idea of including a lot of levels in it. Add a catchy tune, and you've got yourself a hit!

OK, I have attached a new version of Hunchy 2 to this message. The game is now fully playable, and the only things not yet working are the scoring and lives. You can change levels with SELECT (F2 in Z26) as before.

post-6563-1120909347_thumb.jpg

The main changes are:

• 7 Levels
  • Title Screen
  • Music (thanks to Manuel)

The ZIP archive includes the source and ROM - please let me know if you find any bugs!

Enjoy!

Chris

h2v03.zip

Edited by cd-w

Wow! This is hard as heck, but fun! 8)

I'm stuck on level 3. Just when I think I'm doing okay (I got past the heinous guard, jump an overhead bullet and jump the second), I miss-jumped while going for the last bell... and have to go through the guard again! He gets me 1:2. :lol: Great game! it has the feel of a lot of my favorite arcade platformer games. :) Nice graphics and music too!

Edited by mojofltr

Wow!  This is hard as heck, but fun!  8)

I'm stuck on level 3.  Just when I think I'm doing okay (I got past the heinous guard, jump an overhead bullet and jump the second), I miss-jumped while going for the last bell... and have to go through the guard again!  He gets me 1:2.  :lol:    Great game!  it has the feel of a lot of my favorite arcade platformer games.  :)  Nice graphics and music too!

888853[/snapback]

Thanks :) The guards are probably a bit too difficult in the current version. I am planning to change the sprite graphics soon and hopefully this will make it easier to jump over the guards. However, I will also reduce the jump height if that doesn't help.

I am still not sure what to do about the players lives. I think a limited number of lives will make it very difficult to progress in the game. However, I'm also not too keen on giving the player infinite lives as this seems like cheating. Perhaps I should include a time-restricted level skip mechanism like in "Crazy Baloon"? Any suggestions welcome.

Chris

Edited by cd-w

If I remember correctly, if you use select to change the level before you begin in Nukey's Hack'Em, your score also changes color... so a screenshot (undoctored) will tattle on you for cheating. :) I'm not sure if this was the sort of thing you had in mind?

Maybe the final level wouldn't be accessible at all unless all prior levels are played through? That would motivate some not to cheat.

Honestly, I like the difficulty where it is at - that's not to discourage you from tweaking the game up to your satisfaction. The fact that I still haven't finished level three gripes at me just enough that I'm going to have to give it another go before lunch. :D I know it is possible because I've made all the jumps... I just need to get my timing down.

OK, I have attached a new version of Hunchy 2 to this message.    The game is now fully playable, and the only things not yet working are the scoring and lives.  You can change levels with SELECT (F2 in Z26) as before.

post-6563-1120909347_thumb.jpg

The main changes are:

•  
  • 7 Levels

• Title Screen

• Music (thanks to Manuel)

The ZIP archive includes the source and ROM - please let me know if you find any bugs!

Enjoy!

Chris

888842[/snapback]

Hi Chris

What should i say?Simply grrreeeaaattt

:) greetings Gambler172

I am still not sure what to do about the players lives.  I think a limited number of lives will make it very difficult to progress in the game.  However, I'm also not too keen on giving the player infinite lives as this seems like cheating.  Perhaps I should include a time-restricted level skip mechanism like in "Crazy Baloon"?  Any suggestions welcome.

888854[/snapback]

A couple of possibilities:

-1- Allow the player to practice any level EXCEPT for some bonus reward levels. Clearing a practice level returns to the main title screen.

-2- Allow the player to practice a level after losing all lives, with the proviso that clearing the level will not advance the player.

Hi there!

Didn't someone predict that 2005 would be THE year for homebrews?

Well, at least I think it'll get better than 2003 (2 new games) and 2004 (3 new games). With "Go Fish!" and "Fall Down" already out of the door, we only need 2 more new releases within the second half of the year to top that ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, at least I think it'll get better than 2003 (2 new games) and 2004 (3 new games). With "Go Fish!" and "Fall Down" already out of the door, we only need 2 more new releases within the second half of the year to top that ;)

888944[/snapback]

You haven't seen my 1K Supercharger minigame (currently about about 1048 bytes including the 16 bytes of Supercharger headers, but I think I can save a few bytes). The sound effects are really lame (well, what do you expect in about 16 bytes?) and the scoring consists entirely of changing colors (adding a numerical score readout would have been about 70 bytes I didn't have). Play mechanic is functional, though, with many more on-screen objects than the 1980's cartridge version by Rob Fullup. Wonder if I should bring it to the VGS next weekend?