IGNORED

Front Loading Sega CD

That's the first-gen SegaCD. Much less common than the top loaders. I've seen them on eBay only a few times, but although they went for more than the top-loaders I don't think they went for much in general. (Sega Gen/CD stuff doesn't seem to go for much -- it's kind of the Intellivision of the post-crash set)

I've got a front loader, and I think I only paid $6.99 for it, along with the Genesis model 1 that was still attached. The problem is that I can't find a power supply for it. I don't want to buy up another Genesis model 1, just for the AC adapter. I've got too many Genesis units already, but only the model 1 PS will work with the Sega CD front loader, from what I understand.

As far as I know there are four AC adapter types:

MK-1479 (yellow tip). 10v/300mA. Used with Genesis model 3

MK-1602 (black tip). 9v/1200mA. Used with SegaCD models 1 and 2, as well as Genesis model 1.

MK-2103 (yellow tip). 10v/850mA. Used with Genesis model 2, 32X and GameGear. This model also works on the CDX despite the CDX itself claiming higher voltage and amperage requirements.

MK-4122 (yellow tip). 9.5v/1500mA. Used with Sega CDX. This one's bloody hard to find, but the MK-2103 will work just the same.

Edited by Mindfield

i wouldnt say its worth too much really, esp. if its loose and missing parts. maybe around $15 loose, $40 boxed. they're very prone to breaking down, as is the model II. the fun thing about them is that theres almost always a game inside since you need to have the controller in and the screen on to eject it. you dont see em too often but still i havent seen much collector interest in sega CD hardware. certain games go for a bit and so does the CDX but the rest is currently undervalued. the best way to go IMHO is the x-eye.

i wouldnt say its worth too much really, esp. if its loose and missing parts. maybe around $15 loose, $40 boxed. they're very prone to breaking down, as is the model II. the fun thing about them is that theres almost always a game inside since you need to have the controller in and the screen on to eject it. you dont see em too often but still i havent seen much collector interest in sega CD hardware. certain games go for a bit and so does the CDX but the rest is currently undervalued. the best way to go IMHO is the x-eye.

886486[/snapback]

Personally, my second-hand SCD2 has held up very nicely over the years.

And I know hte previous owner. He got his mileage out of it, and wasn't exactly the gentlest owner(on the other hand, he wasn't dropping it on the floor that much either, I diubt it'd take kindly to that).

I've heard the BIG problem with SCD1s is that they have a belt-driven eject mechanism, and the belt is prone to slipping off the pullies.

the fun thing about them is that theres almost always a game inside since you need to have the controller in and the screen on to eject it.

886486[/snapback]

I haven't been able to open the CD drawer on my model 1 yet, and i'm hoping there's going to be a disc inside. It'll probably be a sports game, since every used game console I've ever bought with a game CD inside has traditionally had a sports game in it.

the fun thing about them is that theres almost always a game inside since you need to have the controller in and the screen on to eject it.

886486[/snapback]

I haven't been able to open the CD drawer on my model 1 yet, and i'm hoping there's going to be a disc inside. It'll probably be a sports game, since every used game console I've ever bought with a game CD inside has traditionally had a sports game in it.

886557[/snapback]

You don't need a controller or screen, all you have to do is push Reset and it will eject.

No, there are no buttons on the mk1 cd, it's all done through the controller or reset button.

My Mk1 is pretty unreliable, but only because I'm missing the metal plate that goes between it and the Mega Drive.

Edited by IronMongeR

I use a Sega CDX and JVC X'eye for playing Genesis and Sega CD games. Both work great and have never given me any problems at all.

From what I've been told by a couple of game dealers (people who buy-sell-trade) at local flea markets, they have plenty of front loaders but neither of them have working ones. Both these dealers say that they have better luck with top loaders. I've also heard that not every CD game is compatible with the top loader. I think there is a thread here on AA somewhere with posts about Sherlock Holmes not working on a top loader.

I'll stick with my CDX and X'eye but if I ever found a boxed, working front loader at a reasonable price, I'd buy it just to have in my Sega collection.

Mendon

MK-2103 (yellow tip).  10v/850mA.  Used with Genesis model 2, 32X and GameGear.  This model also works on the CDX despite the CDX itself claiming higher voltage and amperage requirements.

Also works with Sega Nomad.