IGNORED

Movies with Atari 8-bit computer

doncleth

Hi all,

Just finished watching D.A.R.Y.L. on DVD and I was happy to see an Atari 800XL appearance in the movie.

I then did a search on the net for an Atari 8-bit movie list but can't seem to find one. Any more movies I should check out?

Cheers,

Don

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just finished watching D.A.R.Y.L. on DVD and I was happy to see an Atari 800XL appearance in the movie.

I then did a search on the net for an Atari 8-bit movie list but can't seem to find one. Any more movies I should check out?

Cheers,

Don

886809[/snapback]

I'm not 100% sure but I think that some 8-bit Atari appeared in great "The Thing" movie. Kurt Russell played chess with Atari and then destroyed it because he lost. :)

F.

Hi all,

Happy to see 800XL running Pole Position, unhappy to see PP include a high score table, which it never had.

Also, the fact the Atari is the girl's reminds me of Alex the hacker in Jurassic Park.

Hmm, are some movies... For example:

"Pan Samochodzik i niesamowity dwór" - polish movies ("Mr. carsman and incredible palace");

5 or 6 other movies from Poland...

TRON (if I remember);

Hmm, try find discussion on Atariage archive post (was this thema) and at Atariarea.krap.pl...

Happy to see 800XL running Pole Position, unhappy to see PP include a high score table, which it never had.

Also, the fact the Atari is the girl's reminds me of Alex the hacker in Jurassic Park.

886923[/snapback]

Hi Foebane,

Yes the High Score on PP was a bit of a joke isn't it? And also the way they fast forwarded the game. Even my 6-year old son picked that up. :-) But then it is a movie right?

Also, there was another appearance of the 800XL (and the 1050 drive) when DARYL was back at the lab/base, where he was playing Missile Command and a Space Invaders-like game (not sure what it was). I should capture that scene and post it here.

In the Jackie Chan movie "Police Story" the scene where he has to steal incrimiating "data" clearly features an 800xl including shots of the screen display. Also, another less known secret that I noticed many years ago. Somewhere (I think in this film or maybe another Jackie Chan movie) is where the music for Amurote was .. er "inspired" from.. or copied! Check it out. :)

It's not an 8-bit, but IIRC, in the failed U.S. TV show "the flash" (from the comic book hero-at least I think it was 'the flash", it was definately a failed super-hero TV show like 'the flash', maybe a clone superhero) they used Atari ST's in the survailence van in the show. I know this isn't a movie, but Atari systems did show up in several TV shows of the years, years ago...

there was a disney movie I saw a while ago. Three o four kids find some extraterristrial engine I think, so they made a ship and they program a sphere in a home computer, they flew out in the space. while building the thing, the 'geek' installs a computer in the ship so he can run the program, I can swear it's an atari xl...

This site says it's Apple assembly:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~haakonhj/Terminato...wers/q7.9.shtml

889614[/snapback]

No, this is wrong. Decode text from movie - there are virtual disc sector calling in structure Atari DOS II if I good remember. You can find this info at some number of "Atari magazyn", old polish atari newspaper. Hmm, search here: http://tajemnice.atari8.info/ - you can translate it or look at some Atari Magazyn scans.

Hmm, this is true in 100% in Terminator, in Terminator II - I don't know... But I think, that it is true too, because on end subtitles are thanks for Atari firm, I do not find Apple's firm...

Edited by Sikor
  • Like 1

This site says it's Apple assembly:

http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~haakonhj/Terminato...wers/q7.9.shtml

889614[/snapback]

No, this is wrong. Decode text from movie - there are virtual disc sector calling in structure Atari DOS II if I good remember. You can find this info at some number of "Atari magazyn", old polish atari newspaper. Hmm, search here: http://tajemnice.atari8.info/ - you can translate it or look at some Atari Magazyn scans.

Hmm, this is true in 100% in Terminator, in Terminator II - I don't know... But I think, that it is true too, because on end subtitles are thanks for Atari firm, I do not find Apple's firm...

890227[/snapback]

Someone should fight this out in Wikipedia then:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_6502

• Like 1

on end subtitles are thanks for Atari firm, I do not find Apple's firm...

Atari's credit in Terminator 2 probably had more to do with them providing a Portfolio that Ed Furlong used to hack into ATMs.

As for Tron, an Atari 800 was used to generate some sound effects like the engine noise of the recognizers.

• Like 1

• 14 years later...
On 7/6/2005 at 10:20 AM, _Fandal_ said:

I'm not 100% sure but I think that some 8-bit Atari appeared in great "The Thing" movie. Kurt Russell played chess with Atari and then destroyed it because he lost. :)

F.

It was an Apple II with a "Chess Master" fake cover, the chess game was a real apple app and the voice was John's Carpenter's then wife, Adrienne Barbeau.  :)

Chess Wizard | The Thing | Fandom

• 2 weeks later...