IGNORED

Sega Genesis 6 button controllers. Why?

Just got into Genesis collecting (and playing). Are the 6 button controllers required for some games? If so, is there a list anywhere? If not, then what the heck are they for? Do they add something to the play that I'm missing?

I haven't found anything that seems to need them yet, but I'm just getting started.

The Genesis seems like a great system so far. My sons went the Nintendo, Super Nintendo route, so I didn't really know much about it when it was in it's prime.

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

Some of the fighters took advantage of the 6 button joypads. Specifically Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, and Eternal Champions all benefited from having 6 button controllers. Collecting for the Gene is pretty cool and as you may have noticed, a lot of the games are pretty cheaply had.

Hex.

[ needs to spend more time _playing_ games instead of cleaning games... ]

Many games are made easier by the six button controller, but to my knowledge, not a single one *requires* it. I believe every game has some, often convoluted, means of making a 3 button controller work; often times the start button was used to switch between the functions of the buttons.

Thanks for the info. You say these games benefit from the 6 button controller. From that I take it that it is not required, but either adds to game play or makes some moves easier, etc. Have I got it right?

Yeah, the Genesis is fun to play and collect. And you're right about being able to pick stuff up cheap. Don't know why. It's a great system with fun games, but I can always find lots of stuff for next to nothing. Way less than half what I pay for almost any other system. It seems much easier to find boxed games also, probably because of the clam shell boxes.

Yeah, like, say Street Fighter, for example. If you have a six button, XYZ are punches and ABC are kicks. If you have a 3 button, pressing START changes the buttons from punches to kicks. In MK2 and MK3, START functions like a shift key, meaning START+A gets you X, START+B gets you Y and START+C gets you Z, or something like that.

The controllers are auto-detected by the game, but some older games get confused by 6-button pads, hence the 'mode' button. Holding the 'mode' button down while powering up the system will make the controller read as a 3-button pad. The only game I'm 100% certain has a conflict like this is Shanghai II, but I know there are others that I'm forgetting.

Altered Beast has problems too when you have two 6 button controllers.

I fully recomend the 6 button controller, in my opinion it has a much better D-Pad and is a bit more confortable.

888234[/snapback]

I can't say anything about the d-pad, because I find the 6-button pad too small.

I'm a fan of the monstrous cases on the original pads.

I actually prefer the "mini" 6-button controller (with the blue mode button). I have normal-sized hands, but I just like the way it feels. The original 3 button feels HUGE!

888452[/snapback]

Yep I'd totally agree with this. That regular genesis controller feels way too big compared to the snes one or any system around that time. I never actually use the extra buttons as i'm not a big fan of fighting games on there but the 6-button one is certainly more comfortable.

some of the 32x games are very difficult to play with out a six button as the 3 functions are just dropped, doom and shadow squadron both need all 6 buttons or they're almost unplayable

888457[/snapback]

I knwo at least 1 32x game also used mode as a gameplay button.

some of the 32x games are very difficult to play with out a six button as the 3 functions are just dropped, doom and shadow squadron both need all 6 buttons or they're almost unplayable

888457[/snapback]

888470[/snapback]

Yeah, Metal Head does, but damned if I can remember what specific function the button has. ;-) It might have been a view or weapon change or something.

888457[/snapback]

888470[/snapback]

Yeah, Metal Head does, but damned if I can remember what specific function the button has. ;-) It might have been a view or weapon change or something.

888940[/snapback]

I think it WAS a view control. And a somewhat worthless one, now that you mention it.

But that's not the point.

Thanks for the info.  You say these games benefit from the 6 button controller.  From that I take it that it is not required, but either adds to game play or makes some moves easier, etc.    Have I got it right?

I think you're taking it a bit too lightly here. Street Fighter II does not REQUIRE a 6 button controller, but honestly, it completely sucks without one. Most of the fighting games just won't be fun without the extra buttons. Other games it's not very necessary, but very helpful... Virtua Racing uses XYZ for changing camera angles, but Lost Vikings actually put the buttons to good use.

DecapAttack is another game that can't handle the 6-buttons... and for some reason, holding Mode does NOT seem to fix things on my Nomad, so the game is entirely unplayable on a Nomad. I haven't tried to see if Mode fixes it on an actual Genesis or not.

--Zero

Thanks for the info.  You say these games benefit from the 6 button controller.  From that I take it that it is not required, but either adds to game play or makes some moves easier, etc.    Have I got it right?

I think you're taking it a bit too lightly here. Street Fighter II does not REQUIRE a 6 button controller, but honestly, it completely sucks without one. Most of the fighting games just won't be fun without the extra buttons. Other games it's not very necessary, but very helpful... Virtua Racing uses XYZ for changing camera angles, but Lost Vikings actually put the buttons to good use.

DecapAttack is another game that can't handle the 6-buttons... and for some reason, holding Mode does NOT seem to fix things on my Nomad, so the game is entirely unplayable on a Nomad. I haven't tried to see if Mode fixes it on an actual Genesis or not.

--Zero

892917[/snapback]

Decap Attack works fine on my Model One with 6-button pads.

Oh, and add Forgotten Worlds to the list of games that freak out if you don't press MODE on startup. The game will start but immediately go to GAME OVER as soon as the cinemas are done.

Is somebody tallying these up? :P