IGNORED

Was the Atari 2600 your first video game system?

Rhindle The Red

Was the Atari 2600 your first video game system?  

481 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Atari 2600 your first video game system?

• Yes. I got it back in the day.
    • Yes. I got it much later, though.
    • No. I had a different system back in the day.
    • No. My first system was from a later generation.
    • No. I have still never owned one.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 7 months later...

Before I had an Atari 2600 (of which my first was a full rainbow Jr. model), I had Genesis, NES, SNES, Game Boy Pocket, and Nintendo 64. I technically had the Playstation next before the Atari, but at that point in time I was only borrowing it.

The cardboard box containing the Atari 2600 was like a treasure trove because it contained 41 different games plus a few doubles. And I think about half had their manuals so I had some fun reading experiences too. The first game I tried on it was Donkey Kong because I wanted to see what it looked like before graphics were upgraded.

My first system was Coleco's 2600 clone - the Gemini. My parents picked it up in 1983; I was 6. Mine came packed with Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap. As a child I preferred the small form factor and slender combo controllers of the Gemini to that of the VCS/2600. It and all of my original 2600 games were lost years ago. I've nearly got all of my old carts back and I would love to get a CIB Gemini into the collection.

Yes, it was my first video game console.

I think we got it early, like 1981 or 1982.

My dad bought it... I think more for him than for me, I was 4 in 1981 !

My first video game souvenir is a car racing game. Until now I thought it was Pole Position, but now I think it was Enduro.

Sort of.

By the time I started playing games in 1992-1993 my family already owned a 2600, NES, Game Boy, Game Gear, and Genesis. I was more or less raised with all of the systems. Both my parents are what you might call casual gamers. My mom loves stuff like Mario, Centipede, Bejeweled, Angry Birds, and Sonic. My dad didn't play games as often as my mom but he did get farther into the ones he played; he enjoyed Defender, Missile Command, Tetris, Diablo II, and Age of Empires II.

I also had two older brothers and a grandmother that were into gaming. Grandma was the only one in the family with a Super Nintendo until I got one myself in the late 1990s.

So, again, I was raised with access to at least five systems. I couldn't honestly tell you which one I played first because I don't remember. The first one that was MY system and not a hand me down was the SEGA Saturn, though. I got the bundle package with Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, and the racing wheel for Christmas.

Sort of.

By the time I started playing games in 1992-1993 my family already owned a 2600, NES, Game Boy, Game Gear, and Genesis. I was more or less raised with all of the systems. Both my parents are what you might call casual gamers. My mom loves stuff like Mario, Centipede, Bejeweled, Angry Birds, and Sonic. My dad didn't play games as often as my mom but he did get farther into the ones he played; he enjoyed Defender, Missile Command, Tetris, Diablo II, and Age of Empires II.

I also had two older brothers and a grandmother that were into gaming. Grandma was the only one in the family with a Super Nintendo until I got one myself in the late 1990s.

So, again, I was raised with access to at least five systems. I couldn't honestly tell you which one I played first because I don't remember. The first one that was MY system and not a hand me down was the SEGA Saturn, though. I got the bundle package with Virtua Cop, Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, and the racing wheel for Christmas.

Sounds like the best childhood I could imagine. You are a lucky person!

• Like 1

My first console was either the Master System or the Mega Drive, I honestly don't remember which as my family got hold of them both at around the same time.

I did get a 2600 a bit later on though and enjoyed it a lot.

• 1 month later...

My first video game console was a 2600jr that I got for Christmas from my parents back in 1987. I was eight years old. They got me three games to start with: Jr. Pac-Man, Haunted House, and 3-D Tic Tac Toe. I loved the heck out of Jr. Pac-Man... wasn't so impressed with the others. This was around the time that retailers were liquidating their entire stock of Atari games for pennies on the dollar, and people were selling their old carts at yard sales for literal pennies. I racked up a collection of over 100 games before I got a NES around 1992 or so. I had to sell my entire Atari collection a few years ago for rent money... it's so sad. I had such good memories playing on my Atari.

• 5 months later...

Woody in '80...Thanks to Dad. It's the first game console I (we) owned.

Played on a Pong device at my grandmother's place prior to that.

First Arcade game experience I recall...Pac-Man at the Egg-Cream shop in our neighborhood...Either Fall of '80 or Spring of '81...Not sure.

The 2600 was released at least 20 years before I was born. I think my first system was a Game Boy Advance. I only had a few games for it and rarely played it. I've lost mine since then, but my sisters still have theirs, which they ended up giving to me for the collection. We also had (and still have) a "fat" PS2, but all I remember using it for was to play DVD's.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first console was the 2600, but I didn't get one until '88 or '89. I wanted an NES but had to settle for a rummage sale 2600. I had a few friends who were in the same boat, we made the best of it and had a hell of a lot of fun in the process! If my parents had been able to get me an NES I would of been stuck with nothing but SMB/Duck Hunt for years. With my 2600, games were easily found for cheap at rummage sales. Even if the majority weren't great games, it was fun to find them and give them a try.