IGNORED

Flashback2

Here is a sneak-peak at the Flashback2. I have to tell you, it is really an excellent

product! I plugged it into a 1702 monitor and the colors are so vibrant! The

colors are impeccable, sounds perfect and games play exactly like the originals.

The menu system is easy to navigate and use. The joysticks are great!! Did you

think you would ever see a NEW Atari joystick? They look the same, but the

internal design is MUCH better than the old ones.

Of course my first matter of business was voiding the warranty by taking it apart!

Below is what I found!!

flashback2_2.jpg

flashback2_1.jpg

flashback_3.jpg

Looks like the 5v regulator is simply floating, no heat sink. Guess the current stays low enough. Wonder how much juice Pitfall 2 through a cart connector would draw?

Does using three single sided boards really save much money compared to a one piece double sided? Seems like the assembly costs with all those jumpers would negate it. There's also a lot of surface mount components. I could see where the caps are still needed, but the Michelle chip should have had capability for pullup resistors, FPGAs do.

Edited by jsoper

Looks like the 5v regulator is simply floating, no heat sink. Guess the current stays low enough.  Wonder how much juice Pitfall 2 through a cart connector would draw?

Does using three single sided boards really save much money compared to a one piece double sided?  Seems like the assembly costs with all those jumpers would negate it.  There's also a lot of surface mount components.  I could see where the caps are still needed, but the Michelle chip should have had capability for pullup resistors, FPGAs do.

I'm sure this doesn't take much current at all. The 7805 only needs a heat sink if you run lots of current through it. I'm sure it can take 250ma with no heat sink, no problem.

And it's not three single-sided boards, it's one single-sided board with clever saw cuts. I'm impressed. And only two dozen or so jumper wires. I'm sure that in quantity, a single-sided board costs a LOT less than a double-sided board with plate-through vias. The jumpers can be inserted by the parts placement robots.

I like how the ROM was done. It's a blob chip on a surface-mount daughterboard, which should make it easier to remove/disable for cartridge slot/handheld mods. It looks like 0.05" pin spacing, which is big enough for a regular soldering iron and 30ga wire wrap wire.

They even went to the trouble of including the color/BW switch on the back.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

Bruce - Glad you like it :-)

Hey Mark - I was wondering what that big bulge was when you were leaving my office... here I was thinking you were just glad to see me ;-)

Mark received a full production preview unit to examine for some testing purposes.

Corey of 8bitclassics will also have a full production unit on display this coming weekend at the Video Game Summit.

Curt

Looks like the 5v regulator is simply floating, no heat sink. Guess the current stays low enough.  Wonder how much juice Pitfall 2 through a cart connector would draw?

Does using three single sided boards really save much money compared to a one piece double sided?  Seems like the assembly costs with all those jumpers would negate it.  There's also a lot of surface mount components.  I could see where the caps are still needed, but the Michelle chip should have had capability for pullup resistors, FPGAs do.

I'm sure this doesn't take much current at all. The 7805 only needs a heat sink if you run lots of current through it. I'm sure it can take 250ma with no heat sink, no problem.

And it's not three single-sided boards, it's one single-sided board with clever saw cuts. I'm impressed. And only two dozen or so jumper wires. I'm sure that in quantity, a single-sided board costs a LOT less than a double-sided board with plate-through vias. The jumpers can be inserted by the parts placement robots.

I like how the ROM was done. It's a blob chip on a surface-mount daughterboard, which should make it easier to remove/disable for cartridge slot/handheld mods. It looks like 0.05" pin spacing, which is big enough for a regular soldering iron and 30ga wire wrap wire.

890401[/snapback]

Bruce,

Another thing to note - I made sure all of the contact points for the cart were kept close to the Michele chip so that if someone wants to do a portable with cart slot, they can saw the board in that area and retain most of the needed key solder points to lessen their work in making it a portable.

Curt

890401[/snapback]

but the Michelle chip should have had capability for pullup resistors, FPGAs do.

890349[/snapback]

Depends on the process used to fabricate the chip as well as available standard components. FPGAs pack all those goodies in the I/O structure for maximum flexibility given all the silly IO standards they have to support these days!

If you had to design an IO structure by hand with pullups,cost might have won out (a typical custom layout of a simple structure like this can run up to $50K + risk even if designed in the Far East).

Risk would be low though since you don't need anything precise for a pullup and a poly resistor would be fine.

However, if they were available, then, well, maybe in Rev. 2 they could be added.

This thing looks too friggin cool...has anyone started beating it up with lots of different games?

Just curious, what is the frequency of the clock on the FB2.0 ... there is an external crystal there ... I suspect a 4 * NTSC / PAL clock based on my adventures :)!

Ed

The joysticks are great!!  Did you

think you would ever see a NEW Atari joystick?  They look the same, but the

internal design is MUCH better than the old ones.

890334[/snapback]

How about some joystick photos to see the new design?

Thanx!