IGNORED

POLL ~ everyone reply please , Thank You

Skatepunk60

I'm with NE1 on this one. Pac-Man? Puh-leeze, Pac-Man is so cross-platform, that he couldn't possibly be an Atari mascot.

This is a lame question, because there is not one single character that is A) exclusive to Atari, while at the same time being B) popular enough that everyone, including people not all that familiar with videogames, know who it is.

Atari predates Mario and Sonic, the two flagship characters who wrote the book on console mascots. I say give up this idea of an Atari mascot. There is simply not a good enough, widely-known, Atari-exclusive character that truly fits the bill.

I like the idea of the Combat Tank, but that really isn't a character and neither is the Asteroids spaceship.

I'd have to vote on someone creating one, afterall there isn't anything really. Maybe some how the mascot can be related to the standard Atari joystick, that's the first thing that is in my mind when I think Atari. Well the joystick, Pole Position, Q*Bert, Frogger, Combat, Asteroids, River Raid, Pac-Man, and of course H.E.R.O. also come to mind

What exactly is the point of this poll/mascot search? Is the mascot going to be used somewhere or on something? -- Just curious, never heard of anything like this for the Atari before.

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

I like the idea of the Combat Tank, but that really isn't a character and neither is the Asteroids spaceship.

I feel the same here, neither one of them were really character but both of them were great Atari icons.

As far as Pac-Man goes, yes the game was lame and now that I'm an adult it even sucks more but when I was a kid I spent countless hours playing that game just because it was Pac-Man.

So hate if you will but my vote goes with Pac-Man.

Rinsky

Atari never really had its own mascot... they all belonged to other companies.

I can imagine a great mascot for the old Atari, though... a squat little guy in jeans and a tie-dye T-shirt who powers up by jumping into hot tubs naked.

"It's a-me, Nolan-io!"

JR

quote:

Originally posted by Jess Ragan:

Atari never really had its own mascot... they all belonged to other companies.

I can imagine a great mascot for the old Atari, though... a squat little guy in jeans and a tie-dye T-shirt who powers up by jumping into hot tubs naked.

"It's a-me, Nolan-io!"

JR

I like it!

It seems very easy to claim Pac-Man. Almost lazy. Pac-Man does not represent any one system, but rather an entire era of video gaming.

The Tank? Too generic. That's almost as bad as the Adventure icon. (side note: I love that game and the simplicity of the square. It's just too generic.)

It has to be a symbol that's unique in itself as well as unique to the Atari.

Even Atari couldn't come up with a mascot. What was the mascot in Atari Age? Nothing. It was the Breakout lines across the top of the front cover.

Was there any one character that was representative of Atari and everything they did for video gaming? The Fuji did the job, but it never became an official game character.

If I had to absolutely vote for only one character, it would be...

The Yar

It represents Atari's originality, but maintains it's identity. How many games were there like Yars' Revenge? And was it fun to play. You bet!

As with any character, it lacks the notoriety of Pac-Man and Mario. But did you know who Mario was in 1985? It's all about marketing the character with the logo. Pac-Man was always used to represent video games, hence the strong connection. Mario has been a Nintendo icon from the start (of the NES). If the Yar would travel with the Fuji and be used to represent the ingenuity and originality of the system, it would make an excellent and worthy mascot.

But that's just me.

ò¿ó

Thank you all ive tallied up the votes soo far here its is

pacman-11

frogger 1

p Harry 8

qbert 2

mspacman 1

atari force 1

major havoc 1

pong 3

adventure 6

combat 6

yar 4

centepede 1

indy 1

et 2

astroids 1

digdug 1

panama joe 1

Keep voting

BTW the point is , i couldnt figure it out so i wanna do a poll , the more people the better the odds of finding out who people really think is the atari mascot

I agree with MoJoFltr as they allready really have a logo, which is the Fugi symbol which goes down to Pong. To be honest I could never see where pong would be represented by those shapes. I mean I know what has been pointed out in the past but it when I see that symbol I dont see Pong. But it is Pong so, so really Pong would be theyre mascot. Plus it was like theyre first game. Thats why Mario and Sonic are mascots, they were the first BIG game of those systems/companies.