IGNORED

Smurfs Save The Day without Kid Vid

Thomas Jentzsch

quote:

Originally posted by MattyXB:

The Kid Vid Site work again, there you found everything about the Games Player and Manuals. The Manual from the Berenstain Bears too.

Thanks, that's exactly the page I found.

Can you play it with Emulator? Or do you have the game Thomas?  

No, I don't have the game. I'm just hacking around in the source code, trying to understand, what signal must be on the tapes.

If anyone is interested, I do have the KidVid tapes archived on CDs. You can record them onto regular audio cassette for play on the KidVid. I sent Eckhard a set a long while back hoping he'd come up with a scheme to implement them on z26. I am not sure what he has done to support them, if anything.

Regards,

-Lee

quote:

Originally posted by Lee Krueger:

I sent Eckhard a set a long while back hoping he'd come up with a scheme to implement them on z26. I am not sure what he has done to support them, if anything.

That's the reason why I'm trying those games. Yesterday he has asked me, if I could find out that scheme for z26.

The whole Kidvid thing is kinda special to me.

I got the tapedeck and the custom made cable in a trade with Sly DC who has the Kid vid page, we traded in Amsterdam (were I live) while he was waiting for a connecting flight to France, in the 8 hours he was in Amsterdam I showed him all my secret finding places for classic videogames (and some cool beer places)and he actualy found some goodies

So I had the player and the cable but no games, half a year later someone traded a Berenstein Bears boxed, so I could finally test everything.

7 months later I bought the Smurf cart in a lot on ebay.

3 months after that Lee Kruger kindly offered to make me some CD's with the smurf tapes on it (I only had to pay the shipping and the blank cd's whoo!, afterwards i sended him a gift).

I downloaded the smurf covers from sly dc's page and lazerprinted some Smurf cassette inlays.

So now I have a complete working set

Sandy.

I think its realy cool to collect like this, but you have to be patient.

Tempest --

I found a working Kid Vid last month at a thrift shop (without the cable). If you make a cable from the diagram, please tell us if it works and maybe help those of us inept at electronics have a chance at making one without ruining the Kid Vid. Thanks so much!

-- RangerG

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: RangerG ]

Just wanted to bump up the message to see if Tempest would answer about if was going to try to make a cable. Also, Lee did you get my private message about the CDs? Has anyone actually played these games with the tape player, cable, cart and tapes. How are they? Well -- time to go to the flea market . Thanks -- RangerG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
Can someone post pictures of the games in progress (both Smurfs and BB)? All you ever see is the title screen because no one ever takes pictures with the kid vid running.

Tempest

Bears doesn't have the same "optional" tape deck use, you gotta have the kidvid to use the Bears cart outside of the first screen :(

Bears doesn't have the same "optional" tape deck use, you gotta have the kidvid to use the Bears cart outside of the first screen :(

z26 supports KidVid games, so at least you can try in emulation.

Or.... A super talented guy like you could "fix" the bears binary so it doesn't need those damn tapes and kidvid anymore so iot could run on the real deal like smurfs can :ponder: (/super jedi mind trickery) :P

Can someone post pictures of the games in progress (both Smurfs and BB)? All you ever see is the title screen because no one ever takes pictures with the kid vid running.

Tempest

Yeah I had to make some a while ago because there were none online.....

TJ gave you the Smurf screens, here's the BB.

post-15767-1231553540_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1231553548_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1231553562_thumb.jpg

Tempest

Yeah I had to make some a while ago because there were none online.....

TJ gave you the Smurf screens, here's the BB.

post-15767-1231553540_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1231553548_thumb.jpg

post-15767-1231553562_thumb.jpg

Excellent.

I'll add these to the database.

Thanks!

8)

why not play some mp3s or oggs or something that in some way interface with the emulator for the full experience? :) I had the smurf game back in the day as a kid, and I thought it was neat the way the audio went with the game. The game itself was so boring, however, that I had literally 'played it out' the day I bought it, so I returned it and bought an intellivision computer module with music keyboard for the same price as the kid vid I returned and then got games like mind strike and world series baseball. I still don't regret that decision, tho I'd like to find a kidvid cheap in the wild, just to have one.

• 1 month later...
While disassemling the game, I found that you can start it without the Kid Vid by using the following sequence:

1. enable Color mode

2. move left joystick down

3. switch to B/W mode

4. press select and hold it

5. move left joystick up

Did you know that already or did I discover a new Easter Egg?

I had no clue on what to do next, I will try it out,,,,,,THANKS

While disassemling the game, I found that you can start it without the Kid Vid by using the following sequence:

1. enable Color mode

2. move left joystick down

3. switch to B/W mode

4. press select and hold it

5. move left joystick up

Did you know that already or did I discover a new Easter Egg?

I tried that no luck, maybe im doing something wrong