IGNORED

Flashback: EGM's Top 100 (1997)

Here's my short, fast reply:

All EGM staff were in a conference room for multiple hours at a time, and into the night for many nights hashing out that Top 100 list. Many did not sleep well for weeks. Everything was debated to death...I know...I was there! All staffers gave their reasons why these games should be there, and then each game got ripped apart by the staff to make sure it stayed in it's original spot, or else it had to move if a valid point was made. It was gruelling debate work!

It was never meant to stand the test of time...new games were coming out every couple of weeks. It would be mighty difficult to do this list again in any respect. I'm glad it's still getting discussion, though. It's just my perspective of what I remember from back then. Take it easy.

--an old gamer...

Trickman Terry (formerly of EGM)

Edited by TrickmanTerry
  • Like 1

Wow, is that really you Trickman?

The 1997 list is really what got me back into gaming. I've always thought of it as a very unbiased and complete list. Of course the majority was from the Nintendo systems and Sega from Genesis to Saturn, but it also had games from many systems that I had never even heard of. I learned a lot and I'm still trying to hunt down many of the games on the list. The list they did a few years later was not as good in my opinion. They had far too many newer games on it. I guess these lists go about two generations back. Anyway, I'll always be a fan of the original 1997 list.

Also, I believe they did a list of the top 10 most influential console games in the same issue. If I'm not mistaken, SMB came in 2nd and Pong came in 1st.

• Like 1

Wow, is that really you Trickman?

The 1997 list is really what got me back into gaming. I've always thought of it as a very unbiased and complete list. Of course the majority was from the Nintendo systems and Sega from Genesis to Saturn, but it also had games from many systems that I had never even heard of. I learned a lot and I'm still trying to hunt down many of the games on the list. The list they did a few years later was not as good in my opinion. They had far too many newer games on it. I guess these lists go about two generations back. Anyway, I'll always be a fan of the original 1997 list.

Also, I believe they did a list of the top 10 most influential console games in the same issue. If I'm not mistaken, SMB came in 2nd and Pong came in 1st.

894848[/snapback]

Yep, I’m the original guy. I’m glad to see that it helped get you back into gaming again. When I hear things like that, it makes me think that some of the stuff I helped with over there did somebody some good somewhere!

Not everyone got their way with that list. If we printed all of the staff’s individual top 100 lists, it would have looked much different, and there wouldn’t have been much of a magazine left to report other info! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright "Electronic Gaming Monthly'" -- Best 100 Games List of 1997 does not have ANY games for the Atari Jaguar Console?? No "Tempest 2000?" No "Alien VS. Predator?" No "NBA JAM T.E." (Best conversion of all consoles hands down), and no "DOOM?" (also best conversion than any other console). WTF???! Let's face it, EGM is a rag bought off by their client advertising agencies for the almighty dollar. What a bunch of ass kissing media whores. Whew, I feel better now.

Best Regards,

Doug

Currently playing "NBA JAM T.E." for the Atari Jaguar Console.

Alright "Electronic Gaming Monthly'" -- Best 100 Games List of 1997 does not have ANY games for the Atari Jaguar Console?? No "Tempest 2000?" No "Alien VS. Predator?" No "NBA JAM T.E." (Best conversion of all consoles hands down),  and no "DOOM?" (also best conversion than any other console). WTF???!  Let's face it, EGM is a rag bought off by their client advertising agencies for the almighty dollar. What a bunch of ass kissing media whores. Whew, I feel better now.

Best Regards,

Doug

Currently playing "NBA JAM T.E." for the Atari Jaguar Console.

902106[/snapback]

How is NBA Jam T.E. for Jaguar anyway? I saw it recently and almost picked it up.

Wow, I'm not even 27 now.   :P

893755[/snapback]

mumble mutter mumble young punks mutter mumble...

;)

Don't worry.. they ALL get old and they can't stop it. Unless of course they croak :D :P

On that note, I was just reading this issue the other day while sitting on the crapper! I should scan it maybe... :ponder:

• Thanks 1

• 16 years later...

I just read the 100th issue of EGM again, and was about to make this thread as a 25 year retrospective, but then I did a search and found this old thread. So much time is passing I'm forgetting what I've already done before. (People have been born and graduated high school since I wrote this!)

I still like the list and still dislike some of the recency bias of the time, with so many contemporary sports titles on the list, when those could have been other games from more classic systems. There is a ton of Nintendo on there but I can't argue against all those awesome SNES titles, I mean, they have really stood the test of time and I still play every single one of them that appeared on the list.

Ah well, it's been almost 25 years. I can add that I remember they included 1 poster with each issue of 98, 99, and 100 that combined to make a large poster that had all 100 EGM covers on it. I thought that was cool. Good times.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2005 at 12:28 PM, Atarifever said:

Wait, so EGM had it on their best 100 games EVER MADE in 1997 and then had it on their most over rated games at another point. How does that work. There have been lke what, 25000 games so any game on the top 100 would have a hard time being overrated. It's almost like they change opinions based on market trends and current readership.

Without hypocrisy and console bias EGM's pages would be full of nothing but ads.

"This is the wave of the future!"

-first line of the review of Sherlock Holmes 1 by Steve Harris: Publisher, Editor-In-Chief EGM

"I really hate these types of games - they bore me to tears, and once you finish them, there is hardly any reason to play them again!"

-first line of the review of Sherlock Holmes 2 by Steve Harris: Publisher, Editor-In-Chief EGM

In its prime Gamefan was the king though.

They gave the Playstation version of Street Fighter Alpha a perfect score.

The next month they gave the Saturn version lower scores because in their own words, the Saturn version has better graphics, better sound, better gameplay and faster load times.

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/blueshadows.html

Edited by Black_Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

So it's been established in this thread that the list is not meant to be timeless but I'd take it a lot more seriously if it included at least a few classic arcade games.  I mean, come on... NES Qix is a better game than the original Robotron 2084?  Right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

So it's been established in this thread that the list is not meant to be timeless but I'd take it a lot more seriously if it included at least a few classic arcade games.  I mean, come on... NES Qix is a better game than the original Robotron 2084?  Right.

The list was console games only.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2005 at 6:38 AM, spacecadet said:

they did the same thing for this list as they do for all their lists; they only consider games made while they've been in circulation (hence the Genesis/SNES version of Ms. Pac-Man being on the list, not the original), and as you would expect for a variety of reasons, they weight it pretty heavily towards what's current. I mean a) they want to sell some magazines, and b) these are the games they've got stuck in their own minds. I doubt there's anything nefarious about it.

I think it's kind of silly to try to look at a list like this in a gaming magazine as some sort of historical thing to stand the test of time. The point of this magazine is to make money. They're not interested in putting together a time capsule. It's fun to go and look back and laugh at some of their choices but let's not take this too seriously.

• Like 1

Meganecro! Love it!

I'm not sure I ever agree with any Top 10 lists of any kind. Gaming and entertainment are personal choices and, well, picks in a magazine are editor's picks. Not mine.

For example I love Slot Racers. And I don't recall ever seeing it on any Top 10 list.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2005 at 11:59 AM, NE146 said:

On that note, I was just reading this issue the other day while sitting on the crapper! I should scan it maybe...

Goddamnedfuckingbrilliant!

I need to set up a scanner in the crapper. Then when I do WhiteCastle blowouts I can conduct scanning. I've got piles of Apple II material that's sagging under its own weight, for years now, that needs uploading.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Black_Tiger said:

Without hypocrisy and console bias EGM's pages would be full of nothing but ads.

"This is the wave of the future!"

-first line of the review of Sherlock Holmes 1 by Steve Harris: Publisher, Editor-In-Chief EGM

"I really hate these types of games - they bore me to tears, and once you finish them, there is hardly any reason to play them again!"

-first line of the review of Sherlock Holmes 2 by Steve Harris: Publisher, Editor-In-Chief EGM

In its prime Gamefan was the king though.

They gave the Playstation version of Street Fighter Alpha a perfect score.

The next month they gave the Saturn version lower scores because in their own words, the Saturn version has better graphics, better sound, better gameplay and faster load times.

https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/blueshadows.html

GameFan had its share of over enthusiastic reviews too.

Dave Halvorson never met a game he didn't like --- we called his reviews "Dave's Raves" as he gave near perfect scores to pretty much anything that he played.

EGM (and Gamefan) kind of went in waves when quality was concerned. 
EGM was the authority from 1988 to 1993 -- then when the crappy mid 90s came, their staff increased and the mag took on a very juvenile angle until its death.

GameFan was really good in its latter years when ECM was the editor.  They reviewed not just the mainstream garbage, but also some of the classics and fringe releases, which was unheard of back then.

• Like 2

Wow, rise from yer gwave, you 2005 thread!  I love reading the 90s top 100 or whatever lists.  I still have a hardcopy of the first Next Generation mag with a top 100, and reread it every now and then. (They picked the new Mario 64 as #1). 

Game Fan, with Dave or Eric in charge, was always entertaining to me even if I often thought their hype of the month was strange.  

I was saddened to read ECM passed away a few years back. He was not very old. 

• Like 1