IGNORED

Contribute 2600 Game Descriptions - Read Me

Albert

I'm putting out a call to AtariAge members to help us populate game descriptions in our online database. These descriptions go under the "Game Notes" heading for a game, but I may change this to "Description" shortly. While some notable games (such as Adventure, although this one contains no information about gameplay) and most homebrew games have descriptions, the large majority of games do not, and this is something that is definitely lacking in our database. What I'd like to see for each game is a paragraph or two that briefly describes the game (as in, what it's about, game mechanics), any significant historical information about the game, any interesting trivia, and so forth. I'm not looking for in-depth dissections of games, those can come later.

Why not just use the descriptions from the back of the box? I'd prefer to have more "editorialized" descriptions rather than the straight marketing fluff that's often on the back of the box. Plus, the box descriptions don't place the game in historical context, nor do they often talk about the gameplay mechanics too much. While the box description can help form the basis of a description in our database, I'd much prefer original descriptions that contain a bit more than that. And if someone wants to read the box description, they can look at the box scan.

To help spur this along, I figured I'd start with the Atari 2600 games broken down by manufacturer. Once a certain manufacturer (or block of games within a manufacturer) is complete, we'll move onto the next block. I'll choose the blocks, and they may not be in any sensical order. :) Credit will be given to the contributor below the description (such as, "Contributed by Michael Sheridan"). I reserve the right to edit descriptions as far as spelling and grammar goes, as well as as to add hyperlinks where necessary. I may edit content a bit, but for the most part I will leave it as submitted.

To add further incentive, for every 10 descriptions someone writes up that I use in the database, I will give a $5 credit in our store. Write up 100 descriptions that we put online and that's $50 you can use towards the purchase of new homebrew games or the many other items we have in our store. I am the final judge of entries that make it into the database, and I will only accept reasonably well-written entries that I feel are comprehensive enough. So please don't try to flood me with entries just to get store credit, as I won't use them.

Please do not write game descriptions in the first person ("This is one of my favorite Atari 2600 games" or "I first saw this game in the 1978 Sears Wishbook").

If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to ask!

..Al

• Like 3

Maybe we could fill in the other fields in the database, too.

Since we've all played these games til 3 AM at one time or another, we're bound to have some pretty good tips for them.

This also goes along with the high score contest--maybe the best tips from there could be placed in the games' profiles in the database.

Maybe we could fill in the other fields in the database, too.

Since we've all played these games til 3 AM at one time or another, we're bound to have some pretty good tips for them.

This also goes along with the high score contest--maybe the best tips from there could be placed in the games' profiles in the database.

898588[/snapback]

I agree and I plan on fleshing out some of the other data, but right now the descriptions are the biggest omission in the database and what I'd like to concentrate on for the moment. I'm afraid if I start going after some of the other fields at the same time that none of this will ever get completed. :)

At the very least, the HSC tips and tricks would be a welcome addition.

898591[/snapback]

Yeah, I do agree that the HSC tips and tricks should be added, lots of good information there. Not sure exactly how these should be added, almost seems like the addition of a new field, "Tips and Tricks" that is only displayed for a game if data is present.

..Al

Al, I just wrote one for an Atari title that doesn't have a description.  Should I post it here in this thread or do you want it sent somewhere else?

898632[/snapback]

Right now I'm trying to focus on company, and started with some of the third-party companies just to see how this would work out. I think it's working out pretty well, and that I should start listing some of the games by Atari after the Activision, Imagic, and Parker Brothers games are completed. I'll probably break down Atari by sections of the alphabet to make it a bit easier to digest. If you want to post the one description you've written here, that's fine, as I can move it into the appropriate Atari thread after I create it.

..Al

Ok, here's one for Indy 500.

A classic game for the Video Computer System, Indy 500 is one of the earliest titles released and wears an “11” on the earliest versions of the cartridge’s end label and box spine. One of the few VCS games sold with its own set of controllers, the driving controllers were used for this game cartridge only. This cartridge was also sold by Sears under their Tele-Games brand with the title of “Race”.

Indy 500 had it’s origins in the Atari/Kee Indy 4 (up to 4 players) and Indy 800 (up to 8 players) arcade games which were popular in the mid/late 1970’s.

Controller action is simple using the paddle-like driving controller for steering and the single button for acceleration. Releasing the button stops the car. Difficulty switches allow a higher speed when set in the “A” position. Typical sounds are a distinctive crunching noise when hitting barriers or another car and also a revving acceleration sound when moving.

There are 4 games, each with different variations:

Games 1-4

Race Car: Racing against the clock or another driver on either the challenging Grand Prix or treacherous Devil’s Elbow race tracks. Two player games are 25 lap races and one player games are 60 second time trials. In 2 player games if your opponent is going to pass you a “wheel rub” will surely slow them down.

Games 5-8

Crash n’ Score: A small square randomly appears on the screen. Run over it with your car and score a point. 50 points wins a game verses an opponent or see how many points you can score in 60 seconds. There are two different track choices. Keeping up a high rate of speed is usually the best way to score fastest.

Games 9-10

Tag: Choose either the Barrier Chase Track or the Motor Hunt Track. When your car is blinking avoid the other car. When the other car touches yours you’ve been tagged and then have to chase the other car to tag it. Scoring is a point for each second you avoid your opponent’s car. 99 points wins the match. Both games are for two players. Skilled drivers employing various crazy spins or momentarily using the wraparound move to avoid their opponent are useful dodging techniques.

Games 11-14

Ice Race: Sliding around the corners at speed is encouraged on both the Ice Sprint and Ice Rally track layouts. On 25 lap races for two players and 60 second time trials for one player each journey on the slippery ice is a wild ride. Knowing when to let up on the gas and bumping into your opponent to slow down when out of control gets you around the track faster.

Edited by Atari Rescue Group

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea Albert. :) I do LOTS of writing for my own site and several other sites/projects, so I'd love to contribute here. When I get my main desktop PC up and running (1 or 2 days, maybe sooner) I'll start right away. EDIT: I may even begin now that I got ZLaunch on my laptop and it is working.

Now, I have a question

I am looking into a Digital Press Guide, is it possible, that if someone wants to help me out (since DP is free shipping I think), that when I hit a $25 mark under my name in credit, that it can be sent to someone else, if that someone were to have a DP Guide shipped to me? Or is this too much trouble?

I would like one of each guide, so when I hit #50, say CPUWIZ would be the one helping me out, so he could get the DPG, and then have my $25 sent to his name? Would this work out?

:)

Also, I should point out, I take EVERY project I do seriously, I will aim for quality, not quantity. There is no priority for the DPG's, I can wait, and I have been for a while. :P

Edited by Radio F Software

• 1 year later...

Al,

the game "Haunted House" - Atari, doesn't have the scans of the manual's pages in the database. I've recently purchased the game (with box and complete manual), and I'd like to contribute. How can I send the scans of the man's pages?

Fábio Calsavara

Londrina-Brazil

• 2 years later...

Dig Dug Back of Box: Create Your Own Maze as you tunnel fearlessly through the earth. Your Goal: Reap tasty vegetables worth healthy points. Your enemies: ghosts who want to bury you alive, fierce firebreathing dragons, and mean balloon-like bullies! Can you dig it?(i lol'd)Heres the exciting home version of the celebrated coin-op original.

Instruction Manuel: You are Dig-Dug the underground Miner. With your jet powered shovel, you create intrcate subterranean mazes.Ever on the watch for valuable vegetable prizes, youmust also look out for the fierce, firebreathing fygar and the mean balloon-like Pooka that lurk underground. Worse, Pooka and Frygar can turn into spooky ghosts that appear out of nowhere!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey I'm Jill I'm an ok girl , I'm tryin to find a forum who remembers Ataris and the soon bringing in if the mega drive??? I'm not a troll, my hubby is obsesses with quake and stuff but I'm lovin the fact the atari stroke mega drive people are out there to talk coz even my hubby on much stupid 40 grand a ye I don't get listened to

• 1 year later...

Any suggestions?

I'm trying to find out which cassette this is...

I came across a 2600 Starpath Supercharger cassette that is missing the A side sticker.

It's a white cassette that has a number on the top in blue ink. The number is: 7148311

• 1 year later...

For Communist Mutants from Space:

Captain TOM, Commander DAN, and the lovely RUBY came across the planet Rooskee, where a strange Mother Creature and her army of Communist Mutants dwell. The Mother Creature kidnapped Captain TOM and irradiated him with her malevolent energy, transforming him into a Communist Mutant. With their own lives at stake, Commander DAN and RUBY immediately come to the rescue. As RUBY, you must shoot down all of the Communist Mutants, including a transformed Captain TOM, with your Starpath Supercharger.

• 10 months later...

I'm putting out a call to AtariAge members to help us populate game descriptions in our online database. These descriptions go under the "Game Notes" heading for a game, but I may change this to "Description" shortly. While some notable games (such as Adventure, although this one contains no information about gameplay) and most homebrew games have descriptions, the large majority of games do not, and this is something that is definitely lacking in our database. What I'd like to see for each game is a paragraph or two that briefly describes the game (as in, what it's about, game mechanics), any significant historical information about the game, any interesting trivia, and so forth. I'm not looking for in-depth dissections of games, those can come later.

Why not just use the descriptions from the back of the box? I'd prefer to have more "editorialized" descriptions rather than the straight marketing fluff that's often on the back of the box. Plus, the box descriptions don't place the game in historical context, nor do they often talk about the gameplay mechanics too much. While the box description can help form the basis of a description in our database, I'd much prefer original descriptions that contain a bit more than that. And if someone wants to read the box description, they can look at the box scan.

To help spur this along, I figured I'd start with the Atari 2600 games broken down by manufacturer. Once a certain manufacturer (or block of games within a manufacturer) is complete, we'll move onto the next block. I'll choose the blocks, and they may not be in any sensical order. icon_smile.gif Credit will be given to the contributor below the description (such as, "Contributed by Michael Sheridan"). I reserve the right to edit descriptions as far as spelling and grammar goes, as well as as to add hyperlinks where necessary. I may edit content a bit, but for the most part I will leave it as submitted.

To add further incentive, for every 10 descriptions someone writes up that I use in the database, I will give a $5 credit in our store. Write up 100 descriptions that we put online and that's $50 you can use towards the purchase of new homebrew games or the many other items we have in our store. I am the final judge of entries that make it into the database, and I will only accept reasonably well-written entries that I feel are comprehensive enough. So please don't try to flood me with entries just to get store credit, as I won't use them.

Please do not write game descriptions in the first person ("This is one of my favorite Atari 2600 games" or "I first saw this game in the 1978 Sears Wishbook").

..Al

Was not sure where to post this, but it has a good amount of Atari game/cart info:

https://gamesdb.laun...atforms/games/6

To help spur this along, I figured I'd start with the Atari 2600 games broken down by manufacturer. Once a certain manufacturer (or block of games within a manufacturer) is complete, we'll move onto the next block. I'll choose the blocks, and they may not be in any sensical order. icon_smile.gif Credit will be given to the contributor below the description (such as, "Contributed by Michael Sheridan"). I reserve the right to edit descriptions as far as spelling and grammar goes, as well as as to add hyperlinks where necessary. I may edit content a bit, but for the most part I will leave it as submitted.

..Al

Was not sure where to post this, but it has a good amount of Atari game/cart info:

https://gamesdb.laun...atforms/games/6