IGNORED

Atari 600XL Mem Upgrade

Guitarman

I do like to 600XL with it being compact but it have one drawback there is on V/A out :sad: I would love to see a 256K 600XL :lust:

I went ahead and shipped my 600XL off to Ken Jones (MEtalGuy66) for an upgrade. He said he has designed a 512k memory upgrade for it. I'll post when it's finished.

Hey MEtalGuy66 how much for a mem upgrade (256 or 512k) and a monitor port mod? I might be interested in you doing one for me!

I'm very interested on this upgrade as I have two Atari 600XL (not sure if being PAL or NTSC, need to check it). Where to inquiry this? If not possible, any schematics or someone able to do that 512kb upgrade?

EDIT: I found this interesting photo: http://krupkaj.ic.cz/showpic.php?show=Xzentrix_X&obr=50

EDIT2: Thanks mimo ;)

Edited by timofonic

I'm very interested on this upgrade as I have two Atari 600XL (not sure if being PAL or NTSC, need to check it). Where to inquiry this? If not possible, any schematics or someone able to do that 512kb upgrade?

EDIT: I found this interesting photo: http://krupkaj.ic.cz/showpic.php?show=Xzentrix_X&obr=50

That's my 600XL! :) Mega-Hz made this upgrade and Beetle was kind enough to install it for me during the last Xzentrix party.

I've found a number of memory upgrades for the Atari, problem is that they are either incomplete or not in English.

Ideally, I'd love schematics and instructions for just putting a 1 meg SIMM into an 800XL or 130XE.

Is this one OK? :)

I see only 800XL, 130XE and others but not an 600XL. It's that upgrade compatible with 600XL?

If not, are there other available? I can't locate the schematics for the 512kb upgrades.

EDIT: I see they don't offer the code of the GAL too :P

Edited by timofonic

I do like to 600XL with it being compact but it have one drawback there is on V/A out :sad: I would love to see a 256K 600XL :lust:

I went ahead and shipped my 600XL off to Ken Jones (MEtalGuy66) for an upgrade. He said he has designed a 512k memory upgrade for it. I'll post when it's finished.

Hey MEtalGuy66 how much for a mem upgrade (256 or 512k) and a monitor port mod? I might be interested in you doing one for me!

Get in line guys...

:D

• 4 years later...

Is there an easy to find external RAM expansion, like the 1064? I'd normally get that, but I'm not too sure if it was released. There apparently is some sort of MPP 1064 clone, but I don't know how easy to find it would be.

Best or B&C have the 1064's, the MPP clone is very rare, the one i have is the only one i have seen...

If you have ANY kind of soldering ability, then internally upgrading the machine to 64k is your best bet... it is a couple wires and replace the 4416's with 4464's... even a local TV repair shop could do it for cheap...

sloopy.

Hello sloopy

If you put a picture of the MPP clone up here, we know what to look for. :-D

Mathy

I no longer have the case, just the bare board... it used the same case as the Supra HDI... (which is where the case from this one went to...)

sloopy.

Hello Guitarman

Man, this thing is big! And that for only 48kB extra. Nowadays you could get 16MB of RAM in there easily.

Mathy (who's still dreaming of a stand alone (real PBI, no PIA emulating, but kinda like the MIO) PBI memory extension that can be used with all other PBI devices)

Hello Guitarman

Man, this thing is big! And that for only 48kB extra. Nowadays you could get 16MB of RAM in there easily.

Mathy (who's still dreaming of a stand alone (real PBI, no PIA emulating, but kinda like the MIO) PBI memory extension that can be used with all other PBI devices)

Yes it is!!! It is, size wise, indentical to the Atari 1064 upgrade. As it was said, the internal 4464 chip upgrade is so much better!!

Is there an easy to find external RAM expansion, like the 1064? I'd normally get that, but I'm not too sure if it was released. There apparently is some sort of MPP 1064 clone, but I don't know how easy to find it would be.

I have a spare 320 XL by Ctirad. It's a little thing in plastic that plugs into the PBI port on the back of a 600 XL (or 800 XL, or perhaps some other model) and gives you 320K.

I have one of the 320XL Ctirad upgrades as well. Works fantastic. I moved it to my 800XL at some point.

The 600XL then got the 4464 treatment for a full 64K base. Simplest, easiest, most reversible internal RAM upgrade I know of.

I also installed a Mega-Hz 512K internal memory expansion....that took a bit more effort. Had to desocket ANTIC and a couple other smaller IC's and solder PCB directly to board due to lack of clearance on the 600XL. A worthwhile upgrade if you are handy with a soldering iron and don't mind the upgrade becoming permanent. Supports XE ANTIC banking as well (256K only though).

If you want your machine to remain stock and unmodified, the Ctirad upgrade is the way to go.... though it does not support XE ANTIC banking unfortunately. Still worth every penny.

• 8 years later...
On 5/1/2007 at 11:41 PM, Almost Rice said:

I thought I would give everyone an update on the upgrade.

I just got a 600xl already upgraded to 64k like the picture above. It was boxed and had all the serial numbers matching the case. The box has a sticker stating that its already upgraded to 64k. Looks like its a factory upgrade.

I got if from ebay(220099235790).

Necro Bump.

Back in the day I took my 600xl to an authorized Atari store in my hometown.  They did this same BOT Engineering upgrade.  I'm now having some issues with my 600xl.  Some graphics issues and the SIO port fails to detect an SIO2SD when attached. 

When I boot from the Sys-Check v2.2 I only get a blank screen but without Sys-check I can access BASIC and run cartridges.

tf_hh suggested swapping out the MMU, the Delay-Line or the 74LS375 to see if this resolves the issue.   I will order these parts but I'm not sure how I would remove that daughter card to access them.  Anyone familiar with how this is attached?

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

4 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

tf_hh suggested swapping out the MMU, the Delay-Line or the 74LS375 to see if this resolves the issue.   I will order these parts but I'm not sure how I would remove that daughter card to access them.  Anyone familiar with how this is attached?

The MMU(CO61618) is on the daughter card. The upgrade appears to connect to 6 IC sockets via headers, but also seems to have a wire from the capacitor hot-glued to the right side of the  PCB by the RAM chips.

One of the frequent suggestions when having issues is to reseat ICs in case of bad connection, removing/reinserting the upgrade PCB may resolve the problem if it this is the issue.

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BillC said:

The MMU(CO61618) is on the daughter card. The upgrade appears to connect to 6 IC sockets via headers, but also seems to have a wire from the capacitor hot-glued to the right side of the  PCB by the RAM chips.

One of the frequent suggestions when having issues is to reseat ICs in case of bad connection, removing/reinserting the upgrade PCB may resolve the problem if it this is the issue.

The unknown for me is how to remove it.  Are the headers inserted into the sockets on the board and I just need to use a little force to pop it out.  No de-soldering? 

The hot glue piece on the right is not connected to anything.  The whole right side of the daughtercard is floating above the board (no contact).  Seems to be connected only at the 6 headers but really hard to see under there.

I will try reseating the ones I can access easily first.   Thanks

4 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

The unknown for me is how to remove it.  Are the headers inserted into the sockets on the board and I just need to use a little force to pop it out.  No de-soldering? 

I'm would think the 6 headers are just inserted into corresponding IC sockets on the main PCB, the lowest header in the bottom image in post #44 can be seen plugged into a socket. 

• Like 1

If you think the issue is around the memory related circuits, there is a plug in sram upgrade (I think there is 1 wire to solder) that Lotharek sells.

If your current RAM is 64K, then this will eliminate that piggyback board, the delayline, the ram chips on the board, and a few other chips too.  Price is under $20 US IIRC (though that does not include shipping).

Just another option depending on how difficult it is to fix.

18 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

If you think the issue is around the memory related circuits, there is a plug in sram upgrade (I think there is 1 wire to solder) that Lotharek sells.

If your current RAM is 64K, then this will eliminate that piggyback board, the delayline, the ram chips on the board, and a few other chips too.  Price is under $20 US IIRC (though that does not include shipping).

Just another option depending on how difficult it is to fix.

Real easy to upgrade that 600XL to 64K.  Instructions on on this site.