IGNORED

New Possibilities for the Jaguar 64

philipj

To me, the Jaguar has great potential for newer developments from a software stand point. I think the only regret I have about the Atari Jaguar is that I can't seem to find a C compiler for the GPU and DSP... I really hope I see more developments for the Jaggy and I think it's just amazing that the Jaguar community has lasted this long. If that doesn't merrit for newer games for the Jaguar then I have a bridge in Manhattan for sale. It's good to see that the community is holding strong.

Well Carl Forhan and the guys at Songbird Productions have been supporting the Jag for some time with some GREAT software titles.

There's also a lot of continuing development on the Atari Falcon over in Europe... not quite the Jag but sorta.

philipj i agree that the Jaguar hasn't been driven to the limit as the C64 for example was, but if you want to do it , you better forget C.

A C compiler for the DSP/GPU is even more deadly for the performace and the

best way to drive to Jaguar to limit is assembly.

Even whey you say a C compiler makes good code, in assembly it always can be done faster. This might be untrue for PC etc.(fast machines), but for Jaguar it's true in my opinion.

Hi PhillipJ!

To me, the Jaguar has great potential for newer developments from a software stand point.  I think the only regret I have about the Atari Jaguar is that I can't seem to find a C compiler for the GPU and DSP...  I really hope I see more developments for the Jaggy and I think it's just amazing that the Jaguar community has lasted this long.  If that doesn't merrit for newer games for the Jaguar then I have a bridge in Manhattan for sale.  It's good to see that the community is holding strong.

895225[/snapback]

Why is this thread called "new possibilities for the Jag"?

It sounded like somebody just came up with a new piece of hardware or found some great new way to do something on the Jag. ;)

Kind of confusing.

Anyway. Of course the Jaguar has potential, in the way that many genres are lacking good titles and that it still has a lot of fans considering its age.

The game library can use good titles in many genres too, like for example racing, fighting, 2D shooter, rpg, adventures, just to name a few.

However the problem is, that only die-hard Jag fans will probably consider developing for the Jag.

The Jag is hardly interesting for "outside" game developers, because there are other much more powerful systems out there for homebrew with much bigger fan bases and that are easier to develop for.

So unless you have a warm spot in your heart for Atari or the Jaguar somehow, there isn't much that would motivate new people to do something for the Jag.

And as long as that is the case new games remain a problem.

Afterall it's quite hard to find a die-hard jag fan who have the skills, time and will to do a game.

Especially if it's a whole new game and not a port or remake of something else and from what I understood your post was encouranging something like that.

Btw, I don't think C will help you much if you want to push the Jag to its limits in a way. The only reason to use C is, for general code, that doesn't need to be fast.

Especially not GPU/DSP C code, even if you find a compiler for that.

Regards, Lars.

• 2 weeks later...