IGNORED

batari Basic - READ ME FIRST

kisrael

It worked!!! Thanks, I was wondering why it always said Files\Atari unexpected.

> Terminated with exit code 0

Hell yeah it was!!! :]

Never mind, It terminates with the right exit code now but when i tried to run the compiled program, a popup box for z26 said it couldn't find the zombiechase.bas.bin file. So i went to edit the Run bB Program and put quotes around $(FilePath).bin and when i went to run thecompiled program again it opened it in z26 like it should but all i got was a blanks screen with a few static-type-moving white lines.

Edited by jonfin826

Never mind, It terminates with the right exit code now but when i tried to run the compiled program, a popup box for z26 said it couldn't find the zombiechase.bas.bin file. So i went to edit the Run bB Program and put quotes around $(FilePath).bin and when i went to run thecompiled program again it opened it in z26 like it should but all i got was a blanks screen with a few static-type-moving white lines.

Is the .bin file the right size (exactly 2048 bytes for a 2K game, 4096 bytes for a 4K game, 8192 bytes for an 8K game, etc.)? If it is (I don't remember if that's supposed to be 4K or what), then check the setup of z26, especially any command switch settings in your Argument field, as well as the general setup of your tool to run the game in the emulator.

Michael

Oh wait, I just noticed a little z26 popup comes up that says "Couldn't lock display surface: DirectDrawSurface3::Lock: Surface was lost. Exiting..." and then when i press ok the z26 window and popup exit. I don't know if knowing what the message said changes much, so i'll try what you already said, and if you can, please tell me what exactly the popup meant.

Edit: It's the right size (4096 bits) but i don't know how to check the setup of z26. I feel so computer retardedddd

Edit (again): I fixed it, somehow the apostrophes in the Remarks in the code were messing it up. It said (3) Parse error: unrecognized character "'"

But it's all good...at least until I run into some other problem to bug y'all with :]

Edited by jonfin826

Oh wait, I just noticed a little z26 popup comes up that says "Couldn't lock display surface: DirectDrawSurface3::Lock: Surface was lost. Exiting..." and then when i press ok the z26 window and popup exit. I don't know if knowing what the message said changes much, so i'll try what you already said, and if you can, please tell me what exactly the popup meant.

Edit: It's the right size (4096 bits) but i don't know how to check the setup of z26. I feel so computer retardedddd

Edit (again): I fixed it, somehow the apostrophes in the Remarks in the code were messing it up. It said (3) Parse error: unrecognized character "'"

But it's all good...at least until I run into some other problem to bug y'all with :]

No worries-- I'm glad you figured it out! :)

Michael

• 7 months later...

I've unlocked this thread... I would like to make the "READ ME FIRST" link a more useful launching point than it has been, in part by keeping it a really great set of useful links. (In trying to get back on the bB horse, I've realized how confusing some if it can be when you're starting from scratch, and want to get something going in a hurry!)

So if you have suggestions for links, post them here, and I will edit the first post to keep it as useful but focused as possible.

Edited by kisrael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
So if you have suggestions for links, post them here, and I will edit the first post to keep it as useful but focused as possible.

You could add links to Stella and JAVATARI. JAVATARI is a very good emulator that can also be embedded on your own web site so people can play the games you make online. It's much better than JStella.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like

http://www.atari2600.org/DASM

is completly down.

DASM is not really needed when using a Windows system and Batari contains a MS-DOS executable of the assembler, but here is

the newest version (looks like, DASM has no own HP?)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dasm-dillon/

(in case you dont work on a win-system or you want the documentation)

• 4 months later...

Is there a print out version for the batari Basic manual?

If not, could there be one perhaps?

The bB page is constantly changing, so it would be kind of hard to keep updating a print version. I'm sure people would complain that the page is too wide for printing, so a lot of the page would have to be redone (and redone and redone and redone and redone every time the bB page changes).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

This has probably been asked a million times however I have not seen the answer anywhere. There is so much information on the forums that it is easy to get lost.

Should I start with something like Atari or Commodore BASIC before moving on to bB? I have no experience with BASIC other than playing around with it for about 5 minutes years ago. If starting with BASIC is the way to go are there any suggestions on that as well?

19 minutes ago, discotronic said:

This has probably been asked a million times however I have not seen the answer anywhere. There is so much information on the forums that it is easy to get lost.

Should I start with something like Atari or Commodore BASIC before moving on to bB? I have no experience with BASIC other than playing around with it for about 5 minutes years ago. If starting with BASIC is the way to go are there any suggestions on that as well?

Not at all in my opinion.  Some familiarity in BASIC helps.  But, the way you have to think about Atari 2600 programming is drastically different from other systems.

I'd start with R.T.s Getting Started page.  Really, THIS is the page you should bookmark because I use it almost every single day: 

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html

I'd supplement with downloading and futzing around with the examples in the bB forum section.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/109288-code-snippets-samples-for-bb-beginners/

Finally, think really really small.  Try VERY atomic experiments as projects.   Say, one project could be: can I display a sprite?  The next could be: can I make a sprite move around?  Build up your chops.

When you feel ready design a small game based on what you know you can do so far.  Mine was a game where you shoot downward at a moving tub.  Work on completing small projects.  Small successes lead to bigger successes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent information. Thank you! I've installed VS Code and Atari Dev Studio.

Random Terrain's site says concerning Atari Dev Studio:  

As of June 2020 its only embedded tool is a sprite editor, so you may have to look elsewhere for supporting tools for importing graphics or working with sound and music.

Since I'm a complete beginner is the Atari Dev Studio all that is needed for now? 

1 hour ago, discotronic said:

Since I'm a complete beginner is the Atari Dev Studio all that is needed for now? 

That, and a browser if you want to use some web-based graphic of music tools

I forgot about this: https://alienbill.com/2600/bbkickstart/

I updated it this Spring to be Atari Dev Studio centric - but reading it now I think it does a good job setting things up, using a web tool to get a sample program, then explaining what the sample program code actually means. It might be a little less overwhelming to start with than some of the more comprehensive archives :-D

Edited by kisrael
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1