IGNORED

uosipa llamxew

I've been known to eat Cold cans of Spaghetios between class and work also ravioli.

all prices USD

.59 Spag. 380 calories

.89 Rav 540 calories

Mashed Potatoes ares always good and not usually very expensive.

Bread-Eggs

Slices of Bread and Eggs in a 1-1 ratio. butter/margerine.

Heat Skillet add your grease

Cut the center from the slices of bread. Make sure the holes are big enough for egg yokes. Put the bread in the skillet and crack the egg into the hole. Wait untill the white around the yoke towards the bottem of the hole is white then flip. Now it's just cooking to taste. ie how runny do you want your eggs.

Very good and Very cheap. Also quick because your toast is already mixed in with your eggs.

Microwave Popcorn

1/4 cup popcorn

2 teaspoons olive oil or popcorn oil

1/4 teaspoon salt, pickling or popcorn salt is best

1/4 teaspoon sugar for kettlekorn style

combine ingredients in paper lunch bag. staple the top. make sure the bag is folded enought to keep the staples from touching the microwave to prevent sparks. Microwave. Usually 3 minutes, but microwaves vary.

I know it isn't cheap, but I love my Orange Blast Jolt.

[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Simek ]

This is a little higher priced, but you eat good for days...

Get a baking pan and put cornbread twists in it. Pillsbury makes these in the prepared dough section of thegrocery. Anyway, mash them down and up the sides of the pan. Pour in Chili. Make sure it is a thick Chili. Crush up some corn chips, and spread these on top. Mix about 1 tablespoon of flour to about 1 cup sour cream. spread on top. Sprinkle leberally with cheddar or Mozzerella cheese. Bake for an hour at 350, I believe it is. Eat.

Very good.

A recipie that I tried recently that is awesome...

Get a Weber charcoal grill and start it up.

Get 4 large tomotoes. Cut the top off and scoop out the insides. Get 1 lb of ground Italian sausage and mix with 1 cup rice and FRESH basil. Put this in the tomatoes. Put the tops back on and brush with olive oil. Put on grill for an hour. While its cooking, blend the tomato insdies with 1 8oz can of tomato paste. Heat. When tomatoes are done pour sauce on top. Delicious!

Lotsa great grilling recipies at The Weber Grill website.. If you're ever in the Chicago area, stop in at one of the two Weber Grill Restaurants. Mmmm... Awesome prime rib.

quote:

Originally posted by dwh:

[QB]"Who says you need hamberger in hamberger helper?"--Vacation

QB]

I think the actual quote is "I DOn't know why they call this hambureger helper. It does mighty fine by itself..."

• 1 year later...

Okay, as stated before try to grab an onion an puagt some in your Ramen for variety. Onions last a long time when refrigerated. I like to keep a bag of frozen peas around and throw some of them in the pot too.

Ramen Gravy trick:

- Cook the Ramen and remove from pan to drain.

- Put a tablespoon of butter/margarine in the pan, and 1 Tablespoon of flour.

- Stir constantly cooking on medium heat until the mixture (called a rue) is bubbling and starting to brown.

- Slowly add a 1/2 cup of water and the flavor packet. If you don't add the water a little at a time you will get lumps.

- Cook until it is gravy of a thickness you like. Add more water if its too thick.

- Pour over noodles.

Cheap stuff:

- Big bags of flour. If you are willing to bake your own bread and biscuits you can make them really cheap.

- Big bags of rice.

- Big bags of potatoes.

- Big bags of dry beans (lots of time to cook, but dirt cheap and good for you) I lived on Beans and Rice for years in college.

- Bacon. Its not cheap per unit, but a little goes a long way. Cook it all and save it in the frig. Add a single slice to a dish to give it zest. Save the fat from cooking to make hashbrowns from your big bag of potatoes.

Good-luck.

During my college days, I think I tried something similar to about everything listed here. Well... except the Spam. I think just about everyone owes their life to cheap pasta products at some point.

One of my favorite cheap meals and actually one of my favorite meals period is a recipe I got from my mom.

-2 potatoes

-1 pound of hamburger

-1 can pork and beans

Slice and fry the potatoes in a skillet, brown the hamburger separate from the potatoes, then drain off the juice from the can of beans. If you warm the beans in the microwave they won't get as mashed up as if you dump them into the skillet with everything else to heat them up.

When everthings ready, dump it all together. I like to top mine with ketchup, or if you're really saving money, catsup.

I find that people here are choosing far too much processed food. You can go cheap and eat healthy. Here is some cheap foods:

Potatoes: .99-2.99 for a 10lb bag

Cabbage: .99 for a massive head

Rootabagas and turnips: again about .99 a piece

"Fast fry" types of beef and pork tend to be half the price of regular cuts

Apples and Bananas are always cheap: around .59-.99 a lb.

Might sound bland, but you can eat healthy and cheap with these types of food, believe me, I know from experience.

You can go cheap and eat healthy.  Might sound bland, but you can eat healthy and cheap with these types of food, believe me, I know from experience.

The best deal is to figure out when your local grocery store marks down their meat (they mark down the stuff that expires the next day so it isn't rotten or anything!) Most of mine mark it down 50% at around 4:30 or so which coincides well with when I get off work. As most show the per pound price, it is easy to compare, just remember that bone/fat/gristle weighs something so the cheapest per pound may not also be the best deal. Either cook what you get that night or plop it in the freezer as it DOES expire soon. I'm a big fan of using the crockpot (as it can reduce even the toughest cut of meat to fork-tender)....fill it up in the morning and come home to a hot dinner with a house that smells great. Seasonings are the key and with all of the premixed packets available today, figuring that out isn't hard. Plus, you wind up with a ton of liquid that makes a kick-ass base for some soup. Essentially, I can take 4 chicken thighs, a packet of seasoning and a crockpot and with a few cheap additions, get 8+ meals out of it with a bunch of variety (2 servings each of 4 different meals). I cook meals for my office in which I provide a huge, gourmet meal, charge them $5/meal and make a profit so I'm good at this "cooking cheap" thing. And oh, if you have a Big Lots store near you, you're really in business for non-meat items! :)

my mom never ever ever makes anything, wich sucks, so i know how almost all of you feel. plus me being vegitarian dosnt help alot. i dont have any bills to take care of, so a nice chunk of my pay every week seems to go to food. plus my brother works at a pizza place and my sister at another, so i get heavy discounts on food there. =D

One of the ways I learned to be cheap in college was ALWAYS SKIP THE POP. If you dine out, don't get a pop, drink water. If you dine in and they have a soda fountain, ask for a glass for water (add a slice of lemon to it if they have any out for iced tea). It's their biggest profit item and it adds no substantive food value to your meal anyway. Every buck you save is more ramen or cheeseburgers. If you absolutely must have pop with your meal, don't buy it at the resteraunt - buy the 12 packs for $1.88 or 2 liters for .68 when they're on sale and either take a can with you or pour yourself some to go with the food when you get home.

All my friends call me the "King of adding shit in" when it comes to cooking. Hehe. Now, mind you, I don't drink caffeinated soda PERIOD, so I can eat pretty damn good on very little money if I try. But, I'm a HUGE eater. I can eat an entire Big New Yorker pizza with a 2 liter of Sprite and dessert to follow and be just about full, so eating for me is gonna be more expensive anyway. One of the first things you're gonna want to do is spend a few bucks on a decent set of spices. Basil, paprika, black pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, and you MUST have a bottle of Ms. Dash, cause that is the best stuff ever made. So, here's a few of my fave recipes.

Mega Mac 'n Cheese. You should LIVE off Mac and Cheese if you're broke, since it tastes so much better than Ramen. Anyway, whatcha do is get a pound of the cheapest hamburger you can find, a 50 cent package of some sort of ham (I've seen it as cheap as 40 cents, too), a box of Mac 'n Cheese, milk, and butter. Make the Mac and cheese like normal, and brown your hamburger meat. Season the meat with any of the aforementioned spices you want. When it's about halfway done, take the ham and cut it into small pieces, then toss it in and let it cook too. Mix EVERYTHING together and enjoy.

Beef Noodles. This one is SO easy. Get some egg noodles (cheap, like 85 cents for a good sized package), and cook 'em up. Get a jar of beef gravy (1 dollar to a dollar fifty at most places), and a pound of hamburger meat. Once the noodles are cooked, add the gravy and your cooked meat. Simple, easy, and cheap. This also works great with rice, and you can substitute turkey or chicken gravy to suit your tastes.

Basically, you can make cheap food taste MUCH better if you add something else to it. Mac and cheese is the best for this, since just about anything goes well with it. Chop up some hot dogs or some smoked sausage and toss in, you'll see. Same for Spaghettios. Some hamburger makes it GREAT. Ramen can also be done like this, but generally meat don't go well with it, so veggies of some sort seem like the better choice (one of my favorite things to do with Rice a Roni (generic brand of course!) is to chop up some celery and tomatoes and toss those in. Mmm...good stuff).

And if you're working, go EASY on the lunch. I'm currently trying to lose some weight, and my diet calls for a very light lunch. I can get a 6 pack of generic diet shakes for about 4 bucks, and since that's all I have for lunch, that's about 70 or so cents a day. Another alternative is a cup of yogurt. 54 cents at Wally for a cup of Yoplait (and believe me, pay the extra few cents cause cheap yogurt SUCKS).

And in closing, I'd NEVER go hungry just so I could collect something. I like to eat too damn much. I guess I'm just not that hardcore...

While I am 16 and (of course) still live at home, I do know some cheap meal ideas.

Tuna Melts

Plop some tuna on a slice o bread and put a slice o cheese on that, and put it in the (microwave)oven for a bit. Six bucks worth of tuna melts should last ya a good week and a half.

As far as soda goes, if you really need it, go for it, but if you can live without it, just go with water. Also, pepperoni and mustard sandwiches work pretty good.

Easy Mac

Top Ramen- Cheap- 5 for a $1

Microwave burritos

Spaghetti O's (The store brand)

Beef Ravioli (Also the store brand)

any store brand soup

Any store brand food-cereal, cookies, and real food (not desert or breakfast)

Krogers &noodles selection

Krogers &rice selection

You can get FMV or store brand cookies in huge packs 2 for $3 (about 50 cookies per pack, and they are tasty.)

And to drink- SoBe

Coke

water

You can get all of this stuff for about $40.

I eat it, soo easy to make,soo cheap, and soo good.

I will have to try the ichiban, sounds good.

Potatoes go a LONG way!

YOu can have a good baked potato in minutes in the microwave, and just toss crap on it... ONions, cheese, sour cream, bacon, chili, whatever...

If you have a few more minutes, then slice the baked potato and fry it up in a little butter or olive oil with some garlic powder, and once again, toss in chese, bacon, chili, or whatever.

I noticed there is a lot of people who like Ichaban. A good way to actually give it some wave is to put in frozen vegatables. Some times i even put in a egg!! You cook it in the noodles while they are boiling. It sounds wierd but it is in fact very good! Of you can just eat Kraft Dinner! Its good too :D