IGNORED

A/V Mod for Bally Astrocade

GrizzLee

Is there a reliable and good A/V mod for the Bally? The 2 I have, have sooo much fuzz and interference, I can't stand it.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Oops! I see this was accidently liste din mdern games... can a mod move it to Classics :)

Regards,

-Lee

Edited by Lee Krueger

Is there a reliable and good A/V mod for the Bally? The 2 I have, have sooo much fuzz and interference, I can't stand it.

Oops! I see this was accidently liste din mdern games... can a mod move it to Classics  :)

Regards,

-Lee

896019[/snapback]

I don't which one you tried but I found this info. Are you trying to make a composite video A/V mod? If so, just skip that crap and make it a component video mod. The Bally puts out Ry, By and y signals. If there all kinds of fuzz and interference it probably isn't grounded properly.

Oops! I see this was accidently liste din mdern games... can a mod move it to Classics  :)

Regards,

-Lee

896019[/snapback]

I don't which one you tried but I found this info. Are you trying to make a composite video A/V mod? If so, just skip that crap and make it a component video mod. The Bally puts out Ry, By and y signals. If there all kinds of fuzz and interference it probably isn't grounded properly.

896193[/snapback]

Thanks Bill,

I'll take a look. The mod looks simple enough for component output.

Grounded properly?!?! Do you mean the Bally or the outlet?

Regards,

-Lee

Regards,

-Lee

896019[/snapback]

896193[/snapback]

Thanks Bill,

I'll take a look. The mod looks simple enough for component output.

Grounded properly?!?! Do you mean the Bally or the outlet?

Regards,

-Lee

896218[/snapback]

I mean there might be some weirdness with the a/v output jacks sharing a ground. I've had problems like that before when doing an A/V mod on a CV. If I plugged in the audio and video cables at the same time the picture would get fuzzy/interference. If I unplugged the cable from the audio out jack the fuzz would go away.

have you tried the coax connector thing they sell in the AA store? Much better than the old switch boxes and no modding of the system needed. I have been using one for several years for all my old consoles and the picture I get is very good.

have you tried the coax connector thing they sell in the AA store?  Much better than the old switch boxes and no modding of the system needed.  I have been using one for several years for all my old consoles and the picture I get is very good.

896321[/snapback]

I haven't used switchboxes since... uh... maybe 1986 or so...

:)

I usually use a shielded cable as well, but the Bally has everything attached.

When I get time, I will try this component video mod. It looks very simple.

-Lee

• 9 years later...

Jeff! You do leave the Denial forums! I've been messaging TMOSteel who says he has the kits but I'm still waiting on details like a price. He does say they are solderless though.

Holy smokes, solderless?? I would love one of the kits. The Astrocade is such a cool little system and I'd love to do some clean recordings of some of the games, especially since I have one of the mult-carts.

The purple line appears on many Youtube footage of Astrocade games. It's probably an artifact of the console.

The grainyness might be due to poor grounding of the whole video system as it always appears on RF more than on other consoles.

But don't let that stopping you to try to get the best of it ;)

(not much grainy picture here but a constant hissing - that might really well be a poor grounding!)

Being in SCART land and owning an Astrocade, I'm deeply interested in a RGB mod. I hopento heard more about it ;)

I'll order the pcb in a week or two. If you look at the schematic for Wizard of Wor arcade game it kind of looks like that. Just not sure it works or not. But should know in a month or so.

So far this is all the consoles I can do RGB mods to (and yes they will look perfect) Coleco Adam, Intellivision, CreatiVision (a Japanese variant), Memotech MTX, MSX, Sega SG-1000/SC-3000, Spectravideo, Sord M5, Tatung Einstein, Texas Instruments TI-99/4 and Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta. Sega Master System, Sega Game Gear, and the Mega Drive

I have only modded a few of those consoles as I don't have all of them.

Edited by juice2839

FWIW, a number of MSX computers, in particular MSX2 ones also have RGB out of the box, but not all of them so the owner will know best if it needs modding. Also, the CreatiVision was from Hong Kong and is far more common in PAL than it is in NTSC (Japanese version, as so far an US version is close to unheard of). I think you could say any machine with a TI VDP in the TMS9918/28/29 series and upwards is capable of your RGB mod, as that seems to be the common denominator for just about all of them.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/vgm/4839317425.html

I just bought this.. Was it a good deal? At any rate now I can investigate an RGB mod.

Very good price!

Incredible Wizard is Wizard Of Wor by the same programmer, and sounds exactly like the arcade (minus voice) and coded for the more limited home console RAM hardware. A must have.

Back to RGB. Look for other threads here. There are original schematic plans for an RGB mod linked in another thread here, but no reports of anyone making it or getting it working.

The video chip I think is custom, and is the same as the arcade game uses. Wouldn't the arcade game have used RGB?

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218843-astrocade-composite-or-component-mod/?hl=%2Bastrocade+%2Bcomposite&do=findComment&comment=3145479

Edited by iesposta

00u0u_krVlH4jVIDM_600x450.jpgI just bought this for $100.. Was it a good deal? At any rate now I can investigate an RGB mod.

$100 for a Home Library Computer model??? Great deal! Those are the rare first models. I'm assuming it still works fully...

Btw, Ken Lil (kenzre) provides an Astrocade repair service should you need one. Might be worth messaging him.