IGNORED

Just bought a Flashback 1

Hello,

In order to support Infogrames and the upcoming Flashback 2, I decided to purchase a Flashback 1 from Best Buy and, interestingly, the Flashback is sold out at most Best Buys here in Los Angeles (I found mine in the West Los Angeles store, next to Santa Monica, but the other Best Buy stores I walked in were literally out of it).

Anyway, I haven't even opened the box (and probably won't). The Flashback 1 is sitting on a shelf here and a look at the box is enough for me. However, I did try Crystal Castles in store w/ the mini 7800 joysticks and it was a painful experience. Nevertheless, it was nice of Best Buy to have a flat screen plugged into a Flashback 1 for testing purposes.

I'm crossing my fingers for a Flashback III with Pokey support, maybe AMY support, and some sort of 8-bit compatibilty (or at least 5200). The other road would be to recreate a real 7800 for an upcoming third incarnation but I don't think the 7800 had much of an impact on the Atari community (or game community for that matter) compared to the 8-bit line.

Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers for the Flashback II to be a success. A Flashback III in the works is a great motivation to submit a homebrew for sure.

Peace...

AB.

Edited by andy_bernstein

I paid mine $ 20 and probably will purchase another one to support Atari NYC until the second Flashback is out.

BTW- As I said, I still haven't touched it; the Flashback 1 is still in the box (sealed). Maybe I'll hack the next Flashback 1 I purchase so that it does something useful.

Yes, there were tons of them at the West Los Angeles Best Buy I went to BUT all other Best Buy stores I visited were sold out of the Flashback 1 so maybe Atari did indeed move some impressive numbers there.

Yes, there were tons of them at the West Los Angeles Best Buy I went to BUT all other Best Buy stores I visited were sold out of the Flashback 1 so maybe Atari did indeed move some impressive numbers there.

Or maybe they took all the Flashback 1's from stores where it wasn't selling, and put them all in that one store, which had historically sold a lot of them. I've certainly seen Best Buy do that before. (Got an awesome deal on an A/C unit that way.)

Or maybe they took all the Flashback 1's from stores where it wasn't selling, and put them all in that one store, which had historically sold a lot of them. I've certainly seen Best Buy do that before. (Got an awesome deal on an A/C unit that way.)

899896[/snapback]

All retail stores do this. The stores that do the most volume will get stuff transfered in from other stores so they can get rid of it. The only other alternative is having outlet stores.

It's just a Famiclone, isn't it?  Nothing really exciting to dissect.... ironically, the Flashback 2, which will be much more worthy of dissection, is going to be something we're less willing to sacrifice ;)

900277[/snapback]

Don't need to sacrifice, I only want to see the guts ;) Of course, I'm curious, and I still cannot have one, buaaaaa :(