IGNORED

Parker Brothers Descriptions

Albert

Frogger II: Threeedeep!

The sequel to one of the best game on the atari 2600 game system being released in 1984. The goal of the game is to maneuver each frog to a platform at the top of the stage. Once all of the platforms are filled the player progresses to the next level. Not like the original frogger game this game features three different "Stages" for each level rather than one screen per level, with berths at the top of each of the three screens that need to be filled. it truthfully is a good game but can be a lot harder than the original.

The three stages per level are:

An underwater level

The underwater level has the player underwater (duh) Trying to pass piranhas,crocodiles,little fish, and other sea animals unlike its predecessor it has no cars in any of the levels. There are also bonus Bubbles which give the player more points.

A "Surface" Level

The surface level is very similar to the underwater level except it above the water rather than under it.

In the Surface level the player must guide his frog across turtles,lily pads, hippos,and ducks. When you fall into the water you do not die instead you are transported to the beginning of the level

And a "Sky" level

The Sky level has birds and flying creatures blocking froggers way this time. this time the platforms are takken shape as clouds. (I haven't played this game for along time i cant remember).

• 5 months later...

Lord of the Rings: Journy to Rivendell

In this unreleased prototype, you must guide Frodo from his home in the Shire to Rivendell. The gameplay consists of moving through a multitude of screens trying to evade the Black Riders and make it to Rivendell. Along the way, you can meet new characters and visit the town of Bree. You start the game in the Shire, and in this area you can find Sam, who will take the hit for you if you are attacked by the Black Rider. Aragorn is in Bree, and can help you locate Gandalf. Gandalf is hidden randomly, and can make you invincible if you find him. Tom Bombadil can be found 2 screens to the right in the 3rd forest, and will allow your party to move faster in the forest. Finally, Glorfindell is found at the end of the path, left 3 screens, and down 1, and allows your party to move faster on open ground. While you are on the path or open ground, you can put on the ring using the button. This is signified by Frodo turning grey, and a tune playing. One unfortunate side effect to using the ring is that when you put it on, the Black Rider will be able to tell where you are. In the forest, you can bring up a map using the button. This is very useful, as navigating the world without it is a very difficult task. All in all Lord of the Rings isn't bad, and pretty complex for a 2600 game. The main problem is that it's boring! All you do is run away from things until you reach Rivendell, and there's no way to defend yourself. This is an unfortunate side effect of basing a game off a fantasy novel, as having the character whip out a sword and slice the Black Rider in two just wouldn't fit.

Edited by 4Ks

In this unreleased prototype, you must guide Frodo from his home in the Shire to Rivendell. The gameplay consists of moving through a multitude of screens trying to evade the Black Riders and make it to Rivendell. Along the way, you can meet new characters and visit the town of Bree. You start the game in the Shire, and in this area you can find Sam, who will take the hit for you if you are attacked by the Black Rider. Aragorn is in Bree, and can help you locate Gandalf. Gandalf is hidden randomly, and can make you invincible if you find him. Tom Bombadil can be found 2 screens to the right in the 3rd forest, and will allow your party to move faster in the forest. Finally, Glorfindell is found at the end of the path, left 3 screens, and down 1, and allows your party to move faster on open ground. While you are on the path or open ground, you can put on the ring using the button. This is signified by Frodo turning grey, and a tune playing. One unfortunate side effect to using the ring is that when you put it on, the Black Rider will be able to tell where you are. In the forest, you can bring up a map using the button. This is very useful, as navigating the world without it is a very difficult task. All in all Lord of the Rings isn't bad, and pretty complex for a 2600 game. The main problem is that it's boring! All you do is run away from things until you reach Rivendell, and there's no way to defend yourself. This is an unfortunate side effect of basing a game off a fantasy novel, as having the character whip out a sword and slice the Black Rider in two just wouldn't fit.

Hmm.... I wonder where I've heard this before?

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/lotr/lotr.htm

:ponder:

Tempest

Hmm.... I wonder where I've heard this before?

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/lotr/lotr.htm

:ponder:

Tempest

Yeah, I did take some of that from atariprotos.com. Of course, you of all people would know. :)

• 4 weeks later...
The third company in the quest to describe all the NTSC 2600 games in our database is Parker Brothers. They produced a fair number of games for a third-party, but the list isn't too bad. You can view all of Parker Brothers titles in our database here:

Atari 2600 Games by Parker Brothers

The following is a list of Parker Brothers's 2600 games, and I will update this list as I accept contributions:

Descriptions Needed:

Action Force

Amidar

Frogger

G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike

Gyruss

James Bond 007

Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell (needs gameplay description)

Montezuma's Revenge

Mr. Do!'s Castle

Popeye

Q*bert

Q*bert's Qubes

Reactor

Sky Skipper

Spider-Man

Star Wars: Death Star Battle

Star Wars: Ewok Adventure (needs gameplay description)

Star Wars: Jedi Arena

Star Wars: The Arcade Game

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Strawberry Shortcake Musical Matchups

Super Cobra

Tutankham

Completed:

None yet!

Some of these games may already have descriptions, but if you can improve upon them, by all means please do. Please read this post before writing up any descriptions, and please post them to this thread so I and others can comment on them and people can see which descriptions have already been written. When you post a description, please let me know how you would like your entry to be attributed in the database.

..Al

I would love to write a review of TUTANKHAM, my favorite game! Get back with me and help me the proper posting procedure, and I'll be glad to help you out.

Later,

• 9 months later...

Strawberry Shortcake

Help matchup clothes for Strawberry Shortcake and all her friends. One of the first games specifically made for girls, this cartridge offers various levels for ages 3-8, the first untimed for younger players with timed levels for older ones. There is also music when you correctly or incorrectly matchup the outfits for the characters, letting your child know when they have correctly put everything together. It also keeps them interested and entertained.

• 2 weeks later...

The title pretty much says what this game is: A port of the famous vector graphics arcade game by Atari to the Atari 2600. The vector graphics, obviously, couldn't be used on the Atari 2600, so they had to make do with sprites instead. You are piloting an X-Wing in an effort to destroy the Death Star before it can be fully completed by the evil Empire. First, you take on TIE fighters as you approach the death star, then go on to shoot at tower turrets, before finally going into the trench and shooting enemy TIEs as you go for the exhaust port in an effort to launch the photon torpedo and blow up the Death Star. The joystick controls feel a little awkward at first, since you are not only moving your cursor, but at times steering your ship as well. In addition, the up and down are reversed to give it more of a flight simulation feel, which can also feel weird with the cursor. Still, aside from that, it's still a great port of the arcade game.

You are piloting an X-Wing in an effort to destroy the Death Star before it destroys the hidden Rebel Base on the Yavin Moon.

Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell

Based on the first book The Fellowship of the Ring of J.R.R Tolkien's Masterpiece The Lord of the Rings. Frodo Baggins the nephew of Bilbo Baggins has become the unwilling heir of The One Ring, a magic ring created by the dark lord Sauron, the Enemy of Middle-Earth. At the request of the grey wizard Gandalf, Frodo sets out to deliver The One Ring safely to Elrond in the Elven Haven of Rivendell. Unknown to Frodo, Sauron is aware his ring has been found and has dispatched his deadliest servants the Black Riders, shadow wraiths enslaved by the nine rings gifted to Men to reclaim his One Ring.

Gameplay revolves around Frodo's travel from his home in The Shire to Rivendell avoiding the Ring Wraiths and the Ravens, the spies of Sauron. Equipped with the One Ring Frodo can turn invisible ( to avoid the Ravens ), but the longer the ring is used the more aware the Black Riders become of Frodo. Frodo must find help if he is to succeed by seeking out his companions for protection.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

SPIDER-MAN:

Programed by Laura Nikolich and sound by David Lamkins; this adaptation of the popular Mavel Comics franchise puts you in the roll as Spider-Man. The Green Goblin has placed a "super bomb" on top of a building and its your task to climb up the building using your web and disarm the super bomb.

Along the way you will encounter henchmen popping out of the windows and cutting your line. Higher up you will find bombs and finaly the Green Gobblin himself.

If you run out of web you will fall without any rescue. You earn extra web by swinging diangally into henchmen or bombs. Green Gobblin cannot be swung into. You lose a life by falling to the ground, touching an exploding bomb, touching Green Gobblin, touching a henchman without swinging, or not disarming the super bomb in time.

To pass the level, you swing into the box-like super bomb at the top of the tower. Levels get progressively longer as you advance.

By Syntaxerror999

Edited by Syntaxerror999

• 1 year later...

Q*Bert

In the world of Q*Bert you play as Q*Bert and your goal in the game is to try to cover coat each block the same color to advance to the next level, by doing this you need to avoid the creatures that try to eat and squash you, but be careful because if you fall off the edge of the blocks it's all over and you have to completely restart. But if you continue to advance the colors on the blocks will become harder and harder to match the same colors, but if you do congrats. This is a fun filled game with frustration but at the same time it's an addiction. If you enjoy a challenge try out Q*Bert

• 3 months later...

Q*BERT'S QUBES

In this puzzle game by Parker bros. you control Q*bert as he hops on the qubes, to match four in a row. You must change the qubes to the target color by hopping on them to match the target qube on the top left area of the screen. On difficulty level A(level 1 as opposed to level 6 on difficulty B), if you hop on a qube that hasn't locked in and changed color to green, it will rotate in the direction you hopped. On higher difficulty levels, when you hop off any qube, it will rotate the way you hopped off. In this game, there are six kinds of enemy: 1. Meltniks. These are only dangerous if they touch you, but will sink into any qube of their color, except for the green ones, watch out for those! 2. Shoopbops. These are like Slick and Sam from Q*bert's first game, they change the colors of any qube randomly. They can be stopped if Q*bert touches them though for points. 3. Purple ball. Like the Coily ball from the first game, but they hatch a dangerous Rat-a-tat-tat, so keep your distance from them. 4. Rat-a-tat-tat. These hatch from Purple balls and chase after Q*bert quickly, the only way to dispatch of them is to hop off a qube as it does, which throws them off balance and Rat-a-tat-tats will fall off the qube diamond, awarding you points. 5. Sheldon the turtle. This is a helpful enemy, which on contact with Q*bert slows everything but Q*bert down, including spawning enemy and gets you some points. 6. Green ball. Like Sheldon, it does something on contact, but instead completely freezes all the enemy onscreen, allowing Q*bert to hop around easier and gives the same amount of points as Sheldon the turtle. Getting 10,000 points awards an extra Q*bert.

Edited by Star castler

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Forgive me if this is a bit terse, but I haven't played this game much. If someone needs an exact description, the manual's available:

Sky Skipper

Vertically-scrolling maze game based on the rare Nintendo arcade game. Fly around the maze avoiding walls and clouds. Gorillas have locked several animals in cages. Free the animals by shooting the gorillas, then grab the animals before the cages close to advance to the next, faster level. You have a limited amount of time to successfully complete a level.

Trivia: The arcade version of this game may never have been released. The boards may have been converted to Popeye boards.

KLOV article on the arcade version: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9575

History of the arcade game, with information on an restoration attempt: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/06/sky_skipper_arcade_restoration_revealed_to_the_world

Edited by pacman000

Another quick description, from memory:

Side-scrolling shooter. Pilot a snow speeder over the ice planet of Hoth trying to defend the Rebel Base from the Empire's Walkers. Each Walker takes several hits to destroy, but your ship can take multiple hits too. You can land for a limited number of repairs. Has parallax scrolling. One of the more highly-regarded Star Wars games for the VCS.

(It looks like you don't have the complete manual for this game. I think I have it at home. I can't provide scans, but I might be able to take pictures. Do you need such?)

• 1 month later...

The third company in the quest to describe all the NTSC 2600 games in our database is Parker Brothers. They produced a fair number of games for a third-party, but the list isn't too bad. You can view all of Parker Brothers titles in our database here:

Atari 2600 Games by Parker Brothers

The following is a list of Parker Brothers's 2600 games, and I will update this list as I accept contributions:

Descriptions Needed:

Action Force

Amidar

Frogger

G.I. Joe - Cobra Strike

Gyruss

James Bond 007

Lord of the Rings: Journey to Rivendell (needs gameplay description)

Montezuma's Revenge

Mr. Do!'s Castle

Popeye

Q*bert

Q*bert's Qubes

Reactor

Sky Skipper

Spider-Man

Star Wars: Death Star Battle

Star Wars: Ewok Adventure (needs gameplay description)

Star Wars: Jedi Arena

Strawberry Shortcake Musical Matchups

Super Cobra

Tutankham

Completed:

None yet!

Some of these games may already have descriptions, but if you can improve upon them, by all means please do. Please read this post before writing up any descriptions, and please post them to this thread so I and others can comment on them and people can see which descriptions have already been written. When you post a description, please let me know how you would like your entry to be attributed in the database.

..Al

Q*bert

Credits:

Conceived by Warren Davis and Jeff Lee

Originally published by Gottlieb in 1982 and ported to Atari 2600 by Parker Brothers in 1983

Description:

Q*bert is a isometric puzzler in which you traverse up and down a pyramid in an attempt to change its colors with each flip of the joystick. Your task isn't as simple as it seems though; through out the game you will encounter "Red Balls" which tumble from the top of pyramid, "Coily" the snake who stalks you without remorse, and "Sam" who circumvents your efforts by flipping the colors. But don't panic just yet! You can escape "Coily" by ascending on "flying discs" (located on the left and right sides of the pyramid), stomp "Sam" into oblivion by landing on the same square, and collect "Green Balls" to stop time.

Q*bert like many games of it era is a simple concept with a lot of added quirk designed to be "easy to learn and hard to master".

A great game for fans of puzzlers and platformers alike.

Trivia

• George Leutz set the current world record at The 1up Arcade and Bar in Denver, Co. with a whopping score of 3,930,990 points! That's a 1.7 million+ difference from the previous record!

• Davis implemented a unique control scheme; a four-way joystick was rotated 45° to match the directions of Q*bert's jumping. Staff members at Gottlieb urged for a more conventional orientation, but Davis stuck to his decision. Parker brothers tried to simulate the effect on the 2600 version.

• There are three characters missing from the 2600 version: Ugg, Wrongway, and Slick.

• Q*bert was Gottlieb's 3rd game.

• Q*bert was referenced in both Futurama ( "Anthology of Interest II" ) and The Simpsons ( "In the Name of the Grandfather" ) ; His most recent appearance was in Wreck it' Ralph.