IGNORED

Question about old Floppies

Sully70

I've been frustrated by the fact that some games wont load from their floppies. For example, I have a Floppy with a 10 game Menu, and out of the the 10 games the only one which loads and can be played is Tapper(Lucky for that, it's one of the best!). I've tried both a 1050 and a 810 drive. I think the original owner had the Happy upgrade. Is it possible these games will only load with a Happy Drive? I'm pretty sure they were gotten from a BBS back in the day. Out of all the floppies I have, it seems that maybe 10% of the games actually load and run. The others just go to a black screen. I enjoy playing but am not much for the technical stuff, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

SIO2PC :)

those floppies are probably 20 years old. I had the same problem with some old C64 floppies. I took the disk out, wash it and then tried without the sleeve, some games worked, some didn't... Also I notice that after using some floppies, the drive wouldn't read the good floppies I had, so I had to take it appart and clean the head with a q-tip.

This brings up a good question... does anyone still make DSDD 5.25 disks?  I have a few packs still shrinkwrapped.. not sure if they would still be good or not.

897306[/snapback]

I am thinking that they are still good and my best friend is looking for some 5 1/4 floppy disks to recopy all our games to fresh floppies which are hard to find.

Thanks for the replies!! I got some more games to work recently, I have 50 or so floppies with a large variety of games. They all have games on both sides, usually 5 games per side. I'd have a great selection if they all worked!! To give more info, the ones that don't work do 1 of 2 things. 1) The drive beeps, lights come and it starts loading the games, and once the loading stops it goes to the Blue Screen with Prompt. or 2) It finishes loading and then brings up a Garbled screen of colors, as if it almost worked but not quite. My instinct tells me if i knew the right prompt, I could get some of them to work, but I don't know enough to be sure. It's just odd that on any given disk 1 game will load properly and play, yet the other 4 do not. None of the disks will load 100% of the games listed in the menu. I may invest in the SIO2PC, but would really like to get these damn things to work as they are. Some of the better games do load, such as Super Zaxxon, Tapper, and James Bond. Those carts seem to be a little uncommon, so I'm happy I have those games for free.

I have 50 or so floppies with a large variety of games. They all have games on both sides, usually 5 games per side. I'd have a great selection if they all worked!!

My best friend and i have about 50 floppies with games on both side as well and we put autorun menus on all the floppies and all we do is select the number next to the game we want and it loads. :cool:

Sometimes we have trouble with games not working too so we end up loading the game from a DOS system and sometimes that don't always work either :roll:

Edited by LYNXGUY