IGNORED

My first game: an arkanoid clone

belial

Hi,

after reading the tutorials in this forum and some other i found on the net i started to code my first game for the atari 2600, an arkanoid clone. Its not finished, its more an alpha version, buts its already playable. At the moment, u have 3 lifes, which are not dislplayed and theres only one level. Not to forget ito say: it's coded for PAL.

I started with arkanoid becoz i thought its quite easy o implement, but its not so easy when u realize, u have no trigonometric functions, no floating point unit, etc ;) . Okay, enough said, here it is, and im interested in ur opinions.

breakout.bin

Hi,

after reading the tutorials in this forum and some other i found on the net i started to code my first game for the atari 2600, an arkanoid clone. Its not finished, its more an alpha version, buts its already playable. At the moment, u have 3 lifes, which are not dislplayed and theres only one level. Not to forget ito say: it's coded for PAL.

I started with arkanoid becoz i thought its quite easy o implement, but its not so easy when u realize, u have no trigonometric functions, no floating point unit, etc ;) . Okay, enough said, here it is, and im interested in ur opinions.

897692[/snapback]

This looks great. I presume that you have seen this other thread on implementing Arkanoid for the 2600? Are you planning to add other features, such as powerups and enemies? I see that you are already emulating the dodgy ball/bat collision detection from the original :)

The game is currently using a few too many scanlines (316 according to Z26) when it should use 312 for PAL. Is there any reason why you went for PAL first? I usually code for NTSC to start as there are less scanlines to play with and the code needs to be tighter.

Anyway, great effort, and I am keen to see how this turns out. The 2600 scene is really getting busy these days!

Chris

Edited by cd-w

I started with PAL becoz i have a PAL atari 2600 at home and sometimes i write my code on a rom and look at it on a real machine. That rocks. :) No, i didnt look at the other arkanoid project, but i will now. Im not sure what thigs will be implemented in futre. The things which are planned:

- sound

- start screen

- displaying lifes

- level editor

Perhaps i will do some other things too, but im not sure. This game isnt coded very well, it contains some things which arent designed so good. So, i think, i will start soon a new game, becoz i know now much things i can do bedder.

Looks nice, but no paddle support?  :(

Nice ball, by the way: round, even!

898237[/snapback]

What do you mean with paddle support?

Btw, the round ball has some disadvantiges. In the game logic, i have not enough time to to make a good ball/block collision detection, so sometimes, the ball does some funny things after ball/block collision. ;) And a friend of mine found a bug which makes it possible to "trap" the ball into the paddle. Seems there are still lots of things to do. :)

What do you mean with paddle support?

Paddles.

Btw, the round ball has some disadvantiges. In the game logic, i have not enough time to to make a good ball/block collision detection, so sometimes, the ball does some funny things after ball/block collision. ;)

In coding my own arkanoid-clone demo I found that, besides the kernel, the hardest thing to do was to figure out what should happen when a ball hit a block. I.e., which way the ball should go. In the current version of the demo that is still buggy and I don't know why. :( That's why I haven't released the current version yet.

Hey these paddles look realy nice. Is there any description how prouce code which can use them?

I used a very simple algo for my collision. When u want i can give you the code. I havent it published yet because it contains some rather nasty design flaws. I can only excuse that with the fact that it was my first try in coding for the atari and i was still learning about the 6502 while i was already coding. ;)

Hey these paddles look realy nice. Is there any description how prouce code which can use them?

Look here: http://www.qotile.net/minidig/docs/2600_ad..._prog_guide.txt

and here: http://alienbill.com/2600/101/docs/stella.html

Also search the [stella] list.

I used a very simple algo for my collision. When u want i can give you the code.

I'd love to see it!

Thanx for the paddle tutorials, i will try to add paddle support in an advanced release. Here is the sourcecode . Its a bit updated, i fixed a bug und added support for the reset and select buttons.I think the next step will be sound and after all, a level editor which creates a bin with the new level AND the source code, so its easier for me to hardcode lets say 10 level into the game.

breakout.zip

Okay, here is now the final version of my arkanoid clone. I dont think i will continue working on it, its rather complete. The only thing left is paddle support, but i have at the moment problems implementing this. The game itself contains 10 levels, has some sound, etc...

I wasnt able to play it with stella, becoz stella thinks its NTSC, i dont know why. But on real atari 2600 or with z26 it worked fine. If some people are interested, i can code a level editor to load new levels into the bin file. Let me know your opinions about the final game and if u want a level editor.

breakout.zip