IGNORED

Would anyone be interested in Fade Out II?

salstadt

The original seems to be pretty much DOA, although it does exist as a 2-player game with pretty complete gameplay (maybe we should just release that, barebones as it is). However there were a lot of ideas we'd wanted to put into it, including a full single-player mode that never went in.

enemies:

ataros.gif

1. dog 2. general 3. officer 4. shielded soldier 5. crouched soldier 6. jeep 7. tank 8. brain in tank

9. monkey 10. grunt 11. martial artist 12. mutant monkey 13. mad bomber 14. upside-down sniper

I'm wondering since several coders expressed interest in picking up coding on part 1 - would anyone be interested in starting from scratch on a 1.5 version (kind of a sequel, but more of an expansion and fulfillment of the original game's promise)? For info on the original game, here's AA's page:

http://www.atariage.com/development_page.h...evelopmentID=77

I could probably have all animations and art done in a week or two, if there was signifigant interest from the coding side of things.

- Adam

I am very interested in programming the FadeOut 2 project -- however, it would need to be written for the Atari 8-bit (then ported to the 5200).

I could probably put together a proof-of-concept in a week or so for the 2 player version. Most of the graphics already produced should still work fine -- but we might want to modify some things (score, titlescreen, etc) to take advantage of the 8-bit capabilties.

Of course, one of the appealing aspects of this game is that it takes advantage of the simplicity of the 2600 platform. Would there be sufficient interest in a version of FadeOut for the 800/5200?

I for one would like to see the 2600 version released. Why can't you just continue on with that? Or if you cannot because you consider the work already done as someone elses, why not just get that persons permission to continue or if that is not possible just start over on Fade Out with someone who is willing to see it through?

The original seems to be pretty much DOA, although it does exist as a 2-player game with pretty complete gameplay (maybe we should just release that, barebones as it is). However there were a lot of ideas we'd wanted to put into it, including a full single-player mode that never went in.

[...]

I'm wondering since several coders expressed interest in picking up coding on part 1 - would anyone be interested in starting from scratch on a 1.5 version (kind of a sequel, but more of an expansion and fulfillment of the original game's promise)? For info on the original game, here's AA's page:

900101[/snapback]

I have a mild interest - can you post, or point to if it exists already, a fairly detailed description of the game? I understand the basic concept, but a detailed writeup would help me, and probably other coders, decide whether or not to take on the project.

Thanks.

I'll try and contact Chris Tumber again (probably been close to a year since I tried) and see his thoughts. I have somewhere around 8 rom versions, including one with single-player mode objects moving around, so maybe he would be okay with someone else working directly off his progress. As for systems, I'd be hesitant to work on the game for anything more advanced than 2600 because I think the simplicity of the game fits that system so well. On a more advanced system I think the idea of single-color sprites and BGs would just feel lazy.

Description: You play oen of two assassins in a warehouse attempting to kill one another. The background is made up of the same colors as the two players, so players can jump into the 'shadows' and so long as their movements are calculated and remembered, pop out and surprise their enemy. Players must pick up ammo when they run out, which spawns somewhere on the level. Player can jump vertically, duck, shoot and do a really cool little horizontal jump (which I believe was a happy accident of coding, but becomes essential to gameplay as you get get across a level in about 2 seconds). Chris had played with both still and moving backgrounds, and the game also allowed players to select their own player colors, handicaps per ability (speed, health, bullet power). A single-player mode would ideally also include little single-screen puzzle missions, usually involving reaching a certain area or killing a certain individual.

- Adam

I'll try and contact Chris Tumber again (probably been close to a year since I tried) and see his thoughts. I have somewhere around 8 rom versions, including one with single-player mode objects moving around, so maybe he would be okay with someone else working directly off his progress. As for systems, I'd be hesitant to work on the game for anything more advanced than 2600 because I think the simplicity of the game fits that system so well. On a more advanced system I think the idea of single-color sprites and BGs would just feel lazy.

Description: You play oen of two assassins in a warehouse attempting to kill one another. The background is made up of the same colors as the two players, so players can jump into the 'shadows' and so long as their movements are calculated and remembered, pop out and surprise their enemy. Players must pick up ammo when they run out, which spawns somewhere on the level. Player can jump vertically, duck, shoot and do a really cool little horizontal jump (which I believe was a happy accident of coding, but becomes essential to gameplay as you get get across a level in about 2 seconds). Chris had played with both still and moving backgrounds, and the game also allowed players to select their own player colors, handicaps per ability (speed, health, bullet power). A single-player mode would ideally also include little single-screen puzzle missions, usually involving reaching a certain area or killing a certain individual.

- Adam

902515[/snapback]

Thanks, Adam.

How do the enemies (pics posted above) fit in to all of this?

The enemies above would be part of the single-player stealth missions. Like say get to the General and assasinate him, while avoiding various placed soldiers. Of course ultimately it's all up to the coder. You could go crazy and have 2-player co-op missions against these guys, too.

- Adam

The enemies above would be part of the single-player stealth missions. Like say get to the General and assasinate him, while avoiding various placed soldiers. Of course ultimately it's all up to the coder. You could go crazy and have 2-player co-op missions against these guys, too.

- Adam

904203[/snapback]

Hmmm...interesting. Sounds kinda fun. Reminds me of Elevator Action a little, in look and feel - and EA is one of my favorite arcade games. :D

Having just (essentially) completed M-4, I am in between projects right now - and I would consider taking this on, assuming Chris T is really done with it.

Hi there!

Having just (essentially) completed M-4, I am in between projects right now - and I would consider taking this on, assuming Chris T is really done with it.

You work amazingly fast :)

Running Man, Go Fish, M-4, Arkanoid, Prince of Percia... that's 5 major projects in something like 8 months only, or?

Just for the record, if you're interested in "The Dreadnaught Factor" as well, it's ready for the taking, since I think I'll rather continue working with the can of worms I recently opened... ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

You work amazingly fast :)

Running Man, Go Fish, M-4, Arkanoid, Prince of Percia... that's 5 major projects in something like 8 months only, or?

Well...let's go down the list:

--Go Fish! - completed (well, still gotta finish the PAL version :ponder:)

--M-4 - essentially completed - still have minor tweaks to make to the multi-cart version and still working on getting it down to 1K (yeah, right) for the Minigame Compo, but essentially done.

--Running Man - About 75% done, but not actively working on it anymore. I stopped working on it for two reasons: 1. I ran out of ROM and I didn't understand bank-switching at the time and 2. I'm not satisfied with the collision detection and I'm not sure how to improve it easily. Major things still left to do: design and code in all level/enemy data. Add attract/title sequence. Improve collision detection.

--Arkanoid - barely started. I'm not sure if it is something I want to do. I'm halfway through a rewrite of the demo (with New! Improved! Bigger! balls and multi-hit bricks) but, again, trouble with collision detection had slowed me. Also, I dropped work on that to quickly finish M-4 in time for a cart release.

-Prince of Persia. Well, I wrote a kernel and a demo for that. If PoP ever is completed I don't think my kernel will (or should) be used.

So, two projects completed in a year; five started. :D Is that so different from other homebrewers? If I'm not mistaken, you've worked on something like at least three projects yourself in the last year: Crazy Balloon, Worm Whomper, and Jumpman. :ponder:

Whatever happened to Jumpman anyway?

Just for the record, if you're interested in "The Dreadnaught Factor" as well, it's ready for the taking, since I think I'll rather continue working with the can of worms I recently opened... ;)

I've thought about it - I've been toying with the idea of a vertical scrolling shooter for a while now - I love 'em and I don't really think the 2600 has a great one. I just can't get into River Raid.

Hi there!

So, two projects completed in a year; five started. :D  Is that so different from other homebrewers?

I'd think that it's special, yes :)

If I'm not mistaken, you've worked on something like at least three projects yourself in the last year: Crazy Balloon, Worm Whomper, and Jumpman. :ponder:

Ok, true... but that's only half as much. And Worm Whomper so far is only the work of a single sunday, it'll sure keep me busy for another while... :ponder: ;)

Whatever happened to Jumpman anyway?

Jumped a bit down the ToDo list. Sitting right next Gateway to Apshai now ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

• 1 year later...