IGNORED

Atari Unix Software SRV4

As I recall they had the 16mhz TT versions, and 2 MB RAM I think. Video would have been the standard.

902052[/snapback]

Hmm, I didn't think any 16mhz TTS were officialy released? I thought that was part of the original design specs, along with the 68020 instead of the 68030, but that Atari never went through with it, instead going for the 32mhz/030 configuration.

Or am I remembering it wrong? :-)

Well, I heard that the developers ( in house ) were given the 16mhz versions...I guess as they decided not to sell them? Dunno, this could be a faulty memory.

902640[/snapback]

I can remember an Atari developer at a computer trade show having to grind his teeth because of a NDA.

Seems they were talking to some Amiga people, who were gloating over the Amiga 3000 at the time. The 3000 came in 16 and 25mhz versions.

The Atari guy had to tell them that the TT was going to run at 16mhz, when in reality, he knew that it was actually going to be released at 32 mhz, topping the 3000 in pure brute CPU force. Because of the NDA though, he couldn't tell the Amiga people.

Must have been a surpize for them when it did come out at 32 mhz though! :-)

Hmm, I didn't think any 16mhz TTS were officialy released? I thought that was part of the original design specs, along with the 68020 instead of the 68030, but that Atari never went through with it, instead going for the 32mhz/030 configuration.

902348[/snapback]

hmm I am not sure. My friend has some earlier TT with CPU on daughter board. But I cannot remember it is 16 or 32 MHz. What I know is fact that this TT is slower than my.

902348[/snapback]

hmm I am not sure. My friend has some earlier TT with CPU on daughter board. But I cannot remember it is 16 or 32 MHz. What I know is fact that this TT is slower than my.

904591[/snapback]

The early TT030 where 16Mhz, don't think many was actually sold.

Most of them was populated with a daughterboard with a 32Mhz 68030 on it.

The new motherboard where a little bit faster and could use a 16 or a 32 Mhz CPU by setting a dip switch.

Did replace a fiew of thoes daughterboards way back, if I rememeber correct..

Edited by jorevall

Guys

From what I just picked up recently was that one person on the TT030 Unix project

said that NO TT030 16mhz were released with the UNIX SVR4 software and that all suspect TT030 units were sent back to the factory to be fitted with the 16 mhz chipsets. "I will supply the Docs if any one is interested".

Going over his time he spent with Atari in the early nineties with development etc it is a pity that Atari never went ahead with the SVR4 project.

The tools that was used for that release were so good that today they are still desired by some developers in the UNIX world and made life a lot easier to develop apps.

Does anyone still run the Software and tools that went with it?

I am hopeing to put together a MIdi app that includes all the bells and whistles simular to Smptetrack with Sound font , audio and VST support while PCs never did get the timing right on Midi stuff " my opinion "

Chance227

Guys

From what I just picked up recently was that one person on the TT030 Unix project

said that NO TT030 16mhz were released with the UNIX SVR4 software and that all suspect TT030 units were sent back to the factory to be fitted with the 16 mhz chipsets. "I will supply the Docs if any one is interested".

Going over his time he spent with Atari in the early nineties with development etc it is a pity that Atari never went ahead with the SVR4 project.

The tools that was used for that release were so good that today they are still desired by some developers in the UNIX world and made life a lot easier to develop apps.

I am hopeing to put together a MIdi app that includes all the bells and whistles simular to Smptetrack with Sound font , audio and VST support while PCs never did get the timing right on Midi stuff " my opinion "

Chance227

907097[/snapback]

Hey Chance,

Are you referring to Hans Martin-Krober? I know him well and acquired many items from him last year. My understanding is he was the lead programmer for the System V project.

Guys

Chance227

907097[/snapback]

Hey Chance,

Are you referring to Hans Martin-Krober? I know him well and acquired many items from him last year. My understanding is he was the lead programmer for the System V project.

908693[/snapback]

Yes thats the Guy, He had a very involved time with the SVR4 prpojest and my impression was that he would have loved to see go on to completion " production"

It seems lately that a lot of Developers and programmers are coming out of the woodwork and seem very keen to help in any way to promote that " The ATARI" was not just a Games machine but a serious contender on the Desktop platforms.

I personally am surprised that the network side of things never progressed any further as they had the resources and ability to do that and give the competition a scare at the same time.

what does the SDK comprise of and what were that Atari Admin tools like? I have heard of them, but never seen them yet to play around with. and what did he give you as "items"?

Chance227

Yes thats the Guy, He had a very involved time with the SVR4 prpojest and my impression was that he would have loved to see go on to completion " production"

It seems lately that a lot of Developers and programmers are coming out of the woodwork and seem very keen to help in any way to promote that " The ATARI" was not just a Games machine but a serious contender on the Desktop platforms.

I personally am surprised that the network side of things never progressed any further as they had the resources and ability to do that and give the competition a scare at the same time.

what does the SDK comprise of and what were that Atari Admin tools like? I have heard of them, but never seen them yet to play around with. and what did he give you as "items"?

Chance227

908904[/snapback]

Much of what I purchased from him is posted on my site. Here's the link:

Jaysmith2000's Collection

You'll want to check out the "collectors corner". It has the non-Jaguar stuff. Some examples are the Falcon Microbox, Falcon 040 prototype case, Atari 1450xld, Atari STE+ Proto, etc....

I did find a hard drive that said "System V Unix Master" on it. Also got some TT 4/16 upgrade boards, a Riebel network card and an Atari prototype network card. Those I don't have pics posted of yet. A bunch of other stuff as well. No documentation on the UNIX project though. I believe Curt has most of that stuff.