IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 3: Space Invaders

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Red alert! A fleet of unknown alien attackers are headed towards earth! Our air force has already been disabled, and the invaders are closing in fast. You are our last line of defense. You must take control of our final brigade of tanks and blast the aliens out of the sky, because this week's game is Space Invaders!

Game Information

• Game Name: Space Invaders
  • Released By: Atari, 1980
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Small Ship
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect in 1 Player Games
  • Game Mode: Game 16 (Moving shields, zigzagging bombs, fast bombs, invisible invaders)
  • Chosen By: SpiceWare

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, August 8th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be kemsted! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. 3625 (keilbaca) [+11]
  2. 3365 (the 5th ghost) [+10]
  3. 3030 (SpiceWare) [+9]
  4. 2710 (sku_u) [+8]
  5. 1645 (Goochman) [+7]
  6. 1640 (khryssun) [+6]
  7. 1610 (Fellow Atari Man) [+5]
  8. 1430 (Keir) [+4]
  9. 1200 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
  10. 1030 (shadow460) [+2]
  11. 1000 (Atarifever) [+1]
  12. 965 (panda_racer) [+1]
  13. 960 (Mad Scientist) [+1]
  14. 845 (Omegamatrix) [+1]
  15. 635 (scogey) [+1]
  16. 545 (gospeedde) [+1]
  17. 500 (davepesc) [+1]
  18. 495 (vgcollector666) [+1]
  19. 380 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  20. 290 (supercat) [+1]
  21. 250 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]

Best Tips

• shadow460 [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Roll the Score - Reach 9999 points, and get 1 bonus point!

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(default settings)
  1. 475,800 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 268,200 (Ron Corcoran)
  3. 208,640 (Robert T Mruczek)

Current Standings

1. khryssun [19]
  2. SpiceWare [18]
  3. shadow460 [16]
  4. keilbaca [14]
  5. xeex [12]
  6. Robert M [11]
  7. sku_u [8]
  8. Keir [8]
  9. LarcenTyler [8]
  10. vgcollector666 [5]
  11. panda_racer [5]
  12. Numan [5]
  13. Omegamatrix [4]
  14. Malc74 [3]
  15. scogey [2]
  16. Atarifever [1]
  17. Gateway [1]
  18. Dan Iacovelli [1]
  19. StanJr [1]
  20. supercat [1]
  21. FireTiger [1]
  22. Luigi301 [1]

Member List

kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man

Scoring Points in Space Invaders

• The SPACE INVADERS are worth 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 points in the first through sixth rows respectively. The point value of each target stays the same as it drops lower on the screen. Each complete set of SPACE INVADERS is worth 630 points.
  • The COMMAND SHIP is worth 200 points whenever you hit it.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has a typed copy of it online for your reading pleasure. Unfortunately, the manual doesn't really provide any hints anyways.

My tips:

1) go for the Command Ship - the 200 points goes a long way in this game variant.

2) If you're having trouble hitting the invaders, target slightly above where the laser bombs appear.

3) stay away from the left/right edge of the screen, else the fast zigzagging laser bombs will trap you.

4) Don't kill off the invaders too quickly. If you take your time, extra Command Ships will appear on each round, and that could be worth a lot.

Some tips:

--The aliens become visible for a second when one is shot. Try and remember what is where and adjust your shots accordingly.

--When you are down to the last two ships, try making a shot, adjusting slightly in the direction the ships are moving in then fire a second shot. You can eliminate the last two ships quickly and keep track of where they are much more easily this way.

--Once the movable shields disappear, pay close attention to where the shots are originating as those will always come from the lowest ships on the playfield and eliminate those shpis first. This will prolong the game and make it harder for them to land on you (thus ending the game).

Command ships are a must. In order to hit them, though, you have to know where the invaders are.

Each time you start, the invaders are always in the same place. Each hit causes them to light up for a second. Simply slide over and blast one in time with their movements, then keep sliding and blasting in approximate timing with the way they move. This will work throughout the entire level. When a command ship appears, slide a little ahead of the last known location of the invaders, and line up your shot with the command ship.

The Shoot and Slide technique: This involves staying under a shield until an opening appears in the enemy missiles. When it does, slide out and blast a few bad guys.

The Galaga technique: In this strategy, you watch the missiles a few inches above your cannon. How high you look depends on your reflexes and memory, and the height changes often. If you're aiming at a command ship, you need to look higher on the screen. You must always know the location of your cannon without looking. Get used to how fast it moves, so you know if you hold the stick one way or another for so long, you also know how far your cannon moved.

In modern shooters, follow enemy movements as well as their missiles (face it, not many of them have invisible enemies). If an enemy moves alongside you, destroy it or prepare to dodge bullets for a few seconds.

Joysticks are vital to the Galaga technique, because they allow you to keep moving around. Sometimes enemies fire based on which direction you are going, so keep moving the stick at random (remembering where your cannon goes) to keep the enemy guessing.

In our high score contest, shoot and slide goes out the window, almost. It's hard enough to stay under a moving shield, and they provide very little protection against the zigzag bullets. However, you can find a spot that's safe for a second or two, slide from it, shoot, then slide back to it.

Use the Galaga technique, since the screen isn't nearly as crowded as usual. If you play any other shooters, including Galaga itself, Raiden, R Type, and many others, this technique will serve you well.

To practice dodging bullets even more, set the diffuculty switch to A/expert, and play on.

If you have a decent idea of where the invaders are, keep on shooting to keep them lit up.

Finally, notice that you get about half of a fourth life. you can still move, but you cannot shoot. Use this time to practice dodging bullets.

Here's the pattern I've been using:

Hold the stick right, fire once on the left and once on the right side of the shield. Fire twice immdiately. This takes out all but two of the bottom row. Use the shield for a little protection, and wipe out most of the last column of invaders. Now slide back left, taking out everything in the first and second rows. You''l do this fast, so the aliens will stay lit.

About now the first command ship appears, and you're on your own. Shoot at it as much as you can, because the invaders "just happen" to be in between you and it. At the least, you'll wipe out two or three of them.

My Tips :

1 - Start to destroy the 2 left columns of invaders (The 2nd first then the 1st one) : the first (left) shield is very useful to perform this first step.

This tactic will allow you to have more space to destroy the 1st Command ship and win bonus points

If you die without performing this 1 step, I suggest you to reset and start a new game as it will be difficult to make high score if missing this part.

2 - Now try to destroy 1 more column (at the left or the right side) then kill the remaining invaders from the lowest line to the higher one.

Using this tactic allow to kill easely each new command ship that will appear.

3 - The hardest part to finish a level is to destroy the last invaders :

Try to have a line of 2-3 invaders (detect them from their blasts), anticipate their move and move yourself in the same direction they are following. Don't dtop firing.

NEVER stay for a long time in the same location it will be fatal.

My pattern on the 1st wave is to immediatley clear the bottom row, left to right, leaving only the far left Alien on the bottom row. Then, I clear the entire vertical row on the far right before the Aliens turn back. After that, I head back to the left, taking out each AT-AT alien on the way, then I take out the entire vertical row on the right side. By this point the Saucer arrives. If the Saucer comes in on the left side, it's an easy kill. If it comes in on the right side, it's a bit more challenging, but if you wait till the last moment to hit it at the far left side of the screen, as long as the far left vertical row is cleared, I will be able to hit the Saucer cleanly.

As for the 2nd wave, I immediately duck under the first Shield to avoid the flurry of shots coming in, then I carefully clear the bottom row just like in the first wave. Only this time, I don't try to clear the far right vertical row. I take out as much as I can of this row, but not all of it. Instead, I head back left and concentrate on the left side of the formation.

Basically, I try to whittle down the formation on the sides and bottom, making the box smaller and smaller. You don't want the Aliens spaced out, otherwise it gets very difficult to hit the last 2 or 3. Keep them together, keep them high!

As for the 4th wave and on (no shields), it's luck to not get shot immediately. I try to clear them out vertically the 2nd row in from the left, then hope I can take out the bottom row in time. If I can do this, it's only a matter of avoiding those nasty zig-zag missiles to get to the next wave. But, like I said, getting a chance to even get off a first shot on these waves is a matter of luck.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

I'm wondering if I should get out one of my rattier RF cables since my 7800 is a bit noisy and sometimes shows fringes on objects that would otherwise not be visible. Of course, what we really need is that blind videogame player--he'd probably rule at this game since the space invaders make distinct noises each time they move.

Great choice for a game SpiceWare! I haven't played Space Invaders much, and never gave it the proper respect it really deserves. I just got my ass kicked, but I keep going back for more. First post after many tries: 480

Small update: Nailed one Command Ship and got closer to completing wave one. New score 720

Edited by Omegamatrix

Glad y'all are enjoying it!

My tips:

1) go for the Command Ship - the 200 points goes a long way in this game variant.

2) If you're having trouble hitting the invaders, target slightly above where the laser bombs appear.

3) stay away from the left/right edge of the screen, else the fast zigzagging laser bombs will trap you.

Edited by SpiceWare

I almost cleared two boards and successfully shot one of two of the bonus ships at the top of the board. I doubt anyone will come close to the default setting high scores or the bounty this week. :D

Some tips:

--The aliens become visible for a second when one is shot. Try and remember what is where and adjust your shots accordingly.

--When you are down to the last two ships, try making a shot, adjusting slightly in the direction the ships are moving in then fire a second shot. You can eliminate the last two ships quickly and keep track of where they are much more easily this way.

--Once the movable shields disappear, pay close attention to where the shots are originating as those will always come from the lowest ships on the playfield and eliminate those shpis first. This will prolong the game and make it harder for them to land on you (thus ending the game).

1030 on this cart:

post-7210-1123109079.jpg

I was hoping that the game was a common so I could get it at GameXchange and play on real hardware. Even better--I already had it!

Command ships are a must. In order to hit them, though, you have to know where the invaders are.

Each time you start, the invaders are always in the same place. Each hit causes them to light up for a second. Simply slide over and blast one in time with their movements, then keep sliding and blasting in approximate timing with the way they move. This will work throughout the entire level. When a command ship appears, slide a little ahead of the last known location of the invaders, and line up your shot with the command ship.

The Shoot and Slide technique: This involves staying under a shield until an opening appears in the enemy missiles. When it does, slide out and blast a few bad guys.

The Galaga technique: In this strategy, you watch the missiles a few inches above your cannon. How high you look depends on your reflexes and memory, and the height changes often. If you're aiming at a command ship, you need to look higher on the screen. You must always know the location of your cannon without looking. Get used to how fast it moves, so you know if you hold the stick one way or another for so long, you also know how far your cannon moved.

In modern shooters, follow enemy movements as well as their missiles (face it, not many of them have invisible enemies). If an enemy moves alongside you, destroy it or prepare to dodge bullets for a few seconds.

Joysticks are vital to the Galaga technique, because they allow you to keep moving around. Sometimes enemies fire based on which direction you are going, so keep moving the stick at random (remembering where your cannon goes) to keep the enemy guessing.

In our high score contest, shoot and slide goes out the window, almost. It's hard enough to stay under a moving shield, and they provide very little protection against the zigzag bullets. However, you can find a spot that's safe for a second or two, slide from it, shoot, then slide back to it.

Use the Galaga technique, since the screen isn't nearly as crowded as usual. If you play any other shooters, including Galaga itself, Raiden, R Type, and many others, this technique will serve you well.

To practice dodging bullets even more, set the diffuculty switch to A/expert, and play on.

If you have a decent idea of where the invaders are, keep on shooting to keep them lit up.

Finally, notice that you get about half of a fourth life. you can still move, but you cannot shoot. Use this time to practice dodging bullets.

Here's the pattern I've been using:

Hold the stick right, fire once on the left and once on the right side of the shield. Fire twice immdiately. This takes out all but two of the bottom row. Use the shield for a little protection, and wipe out most of the last column of invaders. Now slide back left, taking out everything in the first and second rows. You''l do this fast, so the aliens will stay lit.

About now the first command ship appears, and you're on your own. Shoot at it as much as you can, because the invaders "just happen" to be in between you and it. At the least, you'll wipe out two or three of them.

Edited by shadow460

Shouldn't sku_u be in the current standings? I remember he beat me at Rabbit Transit.

Indeed. Thanks for remembering.

Yep, you're right... I missed his score that week. I'll fix it right after this post. If anyone else notices any missing scores, please let me know. The last couple of weeks have been a little hectic, so it's entirely possible that I made other mistakes too.

--Zero

Not too bad for a quick first try :D

Ok, ok, Invisible invaders with fast shots was one on my favorites variation when I was a child. The new stuff for me is moving shields but I think it won't be a big problem with some practice.

I'll read the tips that all of you have posted before trying a new game next time ;)

post-27-1123172795_thumb.jpg